Evaluation of Qualitative Value for Money of Public-private Partnership Projects in Vietnam
It is expected that in the period of 2011-2020 projects under the model of public- private partnership (PPP) in Vietnam will continue to increase in both number and volume of financing. Despite the substantial volumes of the already performed investments, many practitioners in the field question the viability of Vietnamese PPP projects, in the road sector in particular. Enhancing the viability of these projects is, therefore, vital in the context of the ongoing economic growth. This research is proposing a qualitative value for money assessment, in order to examine the factors influencing PPP projects' viability in Vietnam. Employing the method of Structural Equation Modeling, the following two aspects will be included in the analysis: 1) financial performance & economic environment; 2) technical capacity & legal environment. The former encompasses "financial interest", "profitability", "economic policy" and "demand of service"; while the latter covers "service quality", "flexibility of contracts", "legal framework" and "statutory compliance". (original abstract)
- Alfen, H., Kalidindi, S., Ogunlana, S., Wang, S., Abednego, M., & Jungbecker, A. (2009). Public private partnership in Infrastructure development - Case studies from Asia and Europe. Weimar: Bauhaus-Universität Weimar.
- Bagozzi, R., Yi., Y., & Philips, L. (1991). Assessing construct validity in organizational research. Administrative Science Quarterly, 36(3), 421-458.
- Blunch, N. J. (2013). Introduction to structural equation modeling using IBM SPSS statistics and AMOS. London: Saga.
- Browne, M., & Cudeck, R. (1993). Alternative ways of assessing model fit. Newbury Park: Sage Publication.
- Cheung, E. (2009). Developing a best practice framework for implementing public private partnerships (PPP) in Hong Kong. PhD diss., Queesland University of Technology.
- Evaluation of qualitative value for money of Dinh Thi Thuy Hang public-private partnership projects in Vietnam
- Cheung, E., & Chan, A. (2011). Evaluation model for assessing the suitability of Public-Private Partnerships projects. Journal of Management in Engineering, 27(2), 80-89.
- Contreras, C. (2014). Value for money: to what extent does discount rate matter. Revista de Economía Aplicada, XXII (66), 93-112.
- FIDIC. (2001). Project Financing Sustainable Solutions - Adding Value through Innovation Re-assessing the priorities. Federation Internationale des Ingenieurs-Conseils. Geneva.
- Fornell, C., & Larcker, C. (1981). Evaluating structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error. Journal of marketing research, 18(1), 39-50.
- Hair, J., Black, W. B., & Anderson, R. (2010). Multivariate data analysis (7th ed.). New Jersey: Pearson Prentice Hall.
- Hair, J., Black, W. B., & Anderson, R. (1998). Multivariate data analysis (5th ed.). New Jersey: Pearson Prentice Hall.
- Hemming, R. (2006). Public-Private Partnerships, Government Guarantees, and Fiscal Risk. Washington: International Monetary Fund.
- HM treasury. (2006). Value for money guidance. London: The Controller of Her Majesty's Stationery office.
- Hooper, D., Coughlan, J., & Mullen, M. (2008). Structural Equation Modelling: Guidelines for Determining Model
- Fit. The Electronic Journal of Business Research Methods, 6(1), 53-60.
- Hox, J., & Bechger, T. (1998). An introduction to structural equation modeling. Family Science Review, 11, 354-373.
- Hu, L., & Bentler, P. (1999). Cutoff criteria for fit indices in covariance structure analysis: Conventional criteria versus new alternative. Structural Equation Modeling, 6(1), 1-55.
- KDI. (2010). Detailed guideline for value for money test for build-transfer-operate (BOT) Public-private partnership (PPP) projects. Korea Development Institute. Public and Private Infrastructure Investment Management Center.
- Li, B., Akintoye, A., Edwards, P., & Hardcastle, C. (2005). Critical success factors for PPP/PFI projects in the UK construction industry. Management & Economics, 23(5), 459-371.
- NAO . (2013). Review of the value for money assessment process for PFI. Retrieved February 15, 2016, from National Audit Office www.nao.org.uk/wpcontent/uploads/2014/01/Review-of-VFM-assessmentprocess-for-PFI1.pdf
- Osei-Kyei, R., & Chan, A. (2015). Review of studies on the critical success factors for Public-Private Partnership (PPP) projects from 1990 to 2013. International Journal of Project Management, 33(6), 1335-1346.
- Ozdoganm, I., & Birgonul, M. (2000). A decision support framework for project sponsors in the planning stage of build-operate-transfer (BOT) projects. Construction Management and Economics, 18, 343-353.
- Park, J. H. (2014). Transport PPP Decisions in Korea: Value for Money Assessment and Risk Quantification. PhD diss., University of Southampton.
- Thomas, S. N., Wong, Y. M., & Wong, M. (2010, May). A structural equation model of feasibility evaluation and project success for public-private partnerships in Hong Kong. IEE Transactions on Engineering Management, 57(2), 310-322.
- Tiong, R. (1996). CSFs in competitive tendering and negotiation model for BOT projects. Journal of construction engineering and management, 122(3), 205-211.
- Tucker, L.R., & Lewis, C. (1973). A reliability coefficient for maximum likelihood factor analysis. Psychometrika, 38, 1-10.
- Vietnamese Ministry of Transport. (2016, June 7). Mobilize capital of 186660 billion VNDs to invest PPP projects. Retrieved June 12, 2016, from Vietnamese Ministry of Transport http://www.tapchigiaothong.vn/bo-gtvt-huy-dong-186660-ty-dong-dau-tu-du-an-ppp-trong-5-nam-d26977.html
- Wong, K. (2013). Partial Least Squares Structural Equation Modeling (PLS-SEM) Techniques Using SmartPLS. Marketing Bulletin, 24(1), 1-32.
- Wong, M. W. (2006). Satisfying all stakeholders in evaluating the feasibility of public-private partnership projects: a structural equation model approach. Hong Kong: Department of Civil Engineering. The University of Hong Kong.
- World Bank. (2013). Value-for-Money Analysis Practices and Challenges: How Governments Choose When to Use PPP to Deliver Public Infrastructure and Services. Retrieved March 15, 2016 from World Bank Global Round-Table http://www .ppiaf.org/sites/ppiaf.org/files/publication/VFM.pdf
- World Bank. (2015). Private Participation in Infrastructure Database. Retrieved June 16, 2016 from http://ppi.worldbank.org/snapshots/sector/toll-roads
- Zhang, X. (2005). Critical Success Factors for Public-Private Partnerships in Infrastructure Development. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 131(1), 3-14.
- Zhang, X. (2006). Factor analysis of public clients' best-value objective in public-privately partnered infrastructure projects. Journal of construction engineering and management, 132(9), 956-965.