Impact of Green Innovation on the Sustainable Performance of Food Industrial Firms Applying Green Industry Initiatives Under the Green Industry Project of the Ministry of Industry of Thailand
This research examines the impact of green innovation on the sustainable performance of Thai food industry implementing green industry initiatives in compliance with the national Green Industry Project. The correlation analysis was conducted on green supply chain integration (GSCI) and corporate social responsibility (CSR) as key influencing variables, while the green innovation was a moderator. A total of 441 samples were received from the total population of 8,520 accredited Green Industry Mark enterprises (GIM) (2016). Structural equation modeling (SEM) was employed to test the empirical data derived from surveys, which were collected from entrepreneurs and chief executive officers involved in the Thai food industry. The model indicated the absolute fit indices, confirming the validity and reliability of the SEM analysis. The findings confirmed the positive relationship of the selected key factors and their effect on the sustainable performance.(original abstract)
- Afonso, S.C., Fernandes, P.O.& Monte, A.P. (2012). CSR of top Portuguese companies: Relation between social performance and economic performance. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, 66, 853-857.
- Al-Shuaibi, KM. (2016). A structural equation model of CSR and performance: Mediation by Innovation and Productivity. Journal of Management and Sustainability, 6(2), 139-153. https://doi.org/10.5539/jms.v6n2p139
- Al-Zu'bi, Z.M.F., Tarawheh, E., Abdallah, A.B., & Fidawi, M.A. (2015). Investigating supply chain integration effects on environmental performance in the Jordanian food industry. American Journal of Operations Research, 5, 247-257. https://doi.org/10.4236/ajor.2015.54019
- Barney, J.B. (1991). Firm resources and sustained competitive advantage. Journal of Management, 17(1), 99-120. https://doi.org/10.1177/014920639101700108
- Bowen, H.R. (1953). Social responsibilities of the businessman. New York: Harper and Row.
- Byrne, B.M. (2016). Structural equation modeling with AMOS: Basic concepts, applications, and programming, Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Carroll, A.B. (1979). A three-dimensional model of corporate performance. Academy of Management Review, 4(4), 497-505.
- Carroll, A.B., & Buchholtz, A.K. (2014). Business and society: Ethics, sustainability, and stakeholder management (7th ed.). South-Western Cengage Learning.
- Carroll, A.B., & Shabana, K.M. (2010). The business case for corporate social responsibility: A review of concepts, research and practice. International Journal of Management Reviews, 12(1), 87-105. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-2370.2009.00275.x
- Chen, Y., Lai, S., & Wen, C. (2006). The influence of green innovation performance on corporate advantage in Taiwan. Journal of Business Ethics, 67, 331-339. doi:10.1007/s10551-006-9025-5. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-006-9025-5
- Cheng, C.C.J., Yang, C.L., & Sheu, C. (2014). The link between eco-innovation and business performance: a Taiwanese industry context, Journal of Cleaner Production, 64, 81-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2013.09.050
- Cheng, C.C., & Shiu, E.C. (2012). Validation of a proposed instrument for measuring eco-innovation: An implementation perspective. Technovation, 32, 329-344. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.technovation.2012.02.001
- Chin, T.A., Tat, H.H., & Sulaiman, Z. (2015). Green supply chain management, environmental collaboration and sustainability performance, Precedia CIRP, 25, 695-699. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procir.2014.07.035
- Chiou, T.-Y., Chan, H.K., Lettice, F., & Chung, S.H. (2011). The influence of greening the suppliers and green innovation on environmental performance and competitive advantage in Taiwan. Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and transportation review, 47, 822-836. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tre.2011.05.016
- Clarkson M.B.E. (1995). A stakeholder framework for analyzing and evaluating corporate social performance. Academy of Management Review. 20(1), 92-117.
- Cleff, T., & Rennings, K. (1999). Determinants of environmental product and process innovation. European Environment, 9, 191-201. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-0976(199909/10)9:5<191::AID-EET201>3.0.CO;2-M
- Conbach, L.J. (1951). Coefficient alpha and the internal structure of tests. Psychometrika, 16(3), 297-334. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02310555
- Demirel, P., & Kesidou, E. (2011). Stimulating different types of eco-innovation in the UK: Government policies and firm motivations. Ecological Economics, 70(8), 1546-1557. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolecon.2011.03.019
- Diener, E.D., Emmons R.A., Larsen R.J., & Griffin S. (1985). The satisfaction with life scale. Journal of Personality Assessment, 49(1), 71-75. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327752jpa4901_13
- Doran, J., & Ryan, G. (2012). Regulation and firm perception, eco-innovation and firm performance. European Journal of Innovation Management, 15(4), 421-441. https://doi.org/10.1108/14601061211272367
- Eiadat, Y., Kelly, A., Roche, F., & Eyadat, H. (2008). Green andcompetitive? An empirical test of the mediating role of environmental innovation strategy. Journal of World Business, 43(2), 131-145. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jwb.2007.11.012
- Flynn, B.B., & Huo, B., Zhao, X. (2010). The impact of supply chain integration on performance: A contingency and configuration approach. Journal of Operations Management, 28, 58-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jom.2009.06.001
- Fornell, C., & Larcker, D. F. (1981). Evaluating structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error. Journal of Marketing Research, 18(1), 39-50. https://doi.org/10.2307/3151312
- Freeman, R.E. (2010). Strategic management. A stakeholder approach. University of Virginia. https://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9781139192675
- Friedman, M. (1970). The social responsibility of business is to increase its profits. New York Times Magazine, September 13, 1-6. Available online: http://tinyurl.com/yd9rza5t.
- Geng, R., Mansouri, S.A., & Aktas, E. (2017). The relationship between green supply chain management and performance: A meta-analysis of empirical evidences in Asian emerging economies. International Journal of Production Economics, 183(Part A), 245-258.
- Giovanni, P.D. (2010). Do internal and external environmental management contribute to the triple bottom line?. International Journal of Operations and Production Management, 32(3), 265-290. https://doi.org/10.1108/01443571211212574
- Glass, G.V., & Stanley, J.C. (1970). Statistical methods in education and psychology (3rd ed.). Prentice-Hall.
- Govindan, K., Khoaverd, R., & Jafarian, A. (2013). A fuzzy multi criteria approach for measuring sustainability performance of a supplier based on triple bottom line approach. Journal of Cleaner Production, 47, 345-354. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2012.04.014
- Green, Jr. K.W., Zelbst, P.J., Meacham J., & Bhadauria V.S. (2012). Green supply chain management practices: impact on performance. Supply Chain Management: An International Journal, 17(3), 290-305. https://doi.org/10.1108/13598541211227126
- GSB Research Center (2017). Food and beverage industry. Available online:http://tinyurl.com/ycmsupph.
- Hair, J.F., Black, W.C., Babin, B.J., & Anderson R.E. (2010). Multivariate data analysis (7th ed.). Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, New Jersey.
- Hartmann, M. (2011). Corporate social responsibility in the food Sector. European Review of Agricultural Economics, 38(3), 297-324. https://doi.org/10.1093/erae/jbr031
- Hart, S.L. (1995). A natural-resource-based view of the firm. Academy of Management Review, 20(4), 986-1014.
- Jones, T.M. (1980). Corporate social responsibility revisited, redefined. California Management Review, 22(3), 59-67. https://doi.org/10.2307/41164877
- Kesidou, E, & Demirel, P. (2012). On the drivers of eco-innovations: Empirical evidence from the UK. Research Policy, 41(5), 862-870. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2012.01.005
- Laosirihongthong, T., Adebanjo, D., & Tan K.C. (2013). Green supply chain management practices and performance. Industrial Management and Data Systems. 113(8), 1088-1109. https://doi.org/10.1108/IMDS-04-2013-0164
- Lee, K-H, & Kim, J-W. (2011). Integrating suppliers into green product innovation development: an empirical case study in the semiconductor industry. Business Strategy and the Environment, 20(8), 527-538. https://doi.org/10.1002/bse.714
- Lee, M-D. P. (2008). A review of the theories of corporate social responsibility: Its evolutionary path and the road ahead. International Journal of Management Reviews. 10(1), 53-73. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-2370.2007.00226.x
- Mahmoud, M.A., & Hinson, R.E. (2012). Market orientation, innovation and corporate social responsibility practices in Ghana's telecommunication sector. Social responsibility Journal, 8(3), 327-346.
- Ministry of Industry Thailand. (2013). Practice handbook for entrepreneur development to green industry (4th ed.). Office of the Permanent Secretary, Thailand.
- Moorman, C., & Rust, R.T. (1999). The role of marketing, Journal of Marketing, 63(Special issue), 180-197. https://doi.org/10.2307/1252111
- Muma, B., Nyaoga, R., Matwere, R., & Nyambega, E. (2014). Green supply chain management and environmental performance among tea processing firms in Kericho, Kenya. International Journal of Economics, Finance and Management Sciences, 2, 270-276.
- NESDB ECONOMIC REPORT. (2017). Thai economic performance in Q4 and 2016 and outlook for 2017. Office of the National Economic and Social Development Board.
- NFI. (2017). Food intelligence center Thailand, food industry overview. Available online: http://tinyurl.com/y8ff58xc.
- Nunnally, J., & Bernstein, I. (1994). Psychometric theory (3rd ed.). McGraw-Hill Humanities. New York, USA.
- OECD. (2009). Sustainable manufacturing and eco-innovation: Towards a green economy. OECD Observer. Paris.
- OIE. (2017). Sectoral industrial master plan (food industry). Office of Industrial Economics.
- O'Rourke, N., & Hatcher, L. (2013). A step-by-step approach to using SAS® for factor analysis and structural equation modelling (2nd ed.). Cary, North Carolina, USA.
- Porter, M.E., & Kramer, M.R. (2006). Strategy and society: The link between competitive advantage and corporate social responsibility. Harvard Business Review, 84(12), 78-92.
- Porter, M.E., & Van der Linde, C. (1995). Toward a new conception of the environment competitiveness relationship. Journal of Economic Perspectives, 9(4), 97-118. https://doi.org/10.1257/jep.9.4.97
- Rennings, K. (2000). Redefining innovation-eco-innovation research and the contribution from ecological economics. Ecological Economics, 32, 319-332. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-8009(99)00112-3
- Rovinelli, R.J., & Hambleton, R.K. (1977). On the use of content specialists in the assessment of criterion-referenced test item validity. Dutch Journal of Educational Research, 2, 49-60.
- Schiederig, T., Tietze, F., & Herstatt, C. (2011). What is green Innovation? A quantitative literature review. Working Papers / Technologie-und Innovations management, Technische Universität Hamburg-Harburg, 63.
- Schumacker, R.E., & Lomax, R.G. (2010). A beginner's guide to structural equation modeling (3rd ed.), New Jersey: Lewrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Suansawat, R. (2013). The influence of supply chain integration and green supply chain management practices on sustainable firm performance - in Thai manufacturing industry (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). The University of Hull.
- Székely, F., & Knirsch, M. (2005). Responsible leadership and corporate social responsibility. European Management Journal, 23(6), 628-647. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.emj.2005.10.009
- UNIDO. (2015). Industrial Development Report 2016: The Role of Technology and Innovation in Inclusive and Sustainable Industrial Development. UNIDO.
- Weng, H.-H. (Robin), Chen, J.-S., & Chen, P.-C. (2015). Effects of green innovation on environmental and corporate performance: A stakeholder perspective. Sustainability, 7, 4997-5026. https://doi.org/10.3390/su7054997
- Wong, C.Y., Boon-itt, S., & Wong, C.W.Y. (2011). The contingency effects of environmental uncertainty on the relationship between supply chain integration and operational performance. Journal of Operations Management, 29, 604-615. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jom.2011.01.003
- Wu, G.C. (2013). The influence of green supply chain integration and environmental uncertainty on green innovation in Taiwan's IT industry. Supply Chain Management: An International Journal, 18(5), 539-552. https://doi.org/10.1108/SCM-06-2012-0201
- Yang, M.G. (2013). Developing a focal firm's sustainable supply chain framework: Drivers, orientation, practices and performance outcomes (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). The University of Toledo.
- Zailani, S., Govindan, K., Iranmanesh, M., Shaharudin, M.R., & Chong, Y.S. (2015). Green innovation adoption in automotive supply chain: the Malaysian case. Journal of Cleaner Production, 108(A), 1115-1122.
- Zhu, Q., & Sarkis, J. (2004). Relationships between operational practices and performance among early adopters of green supply chain management practices in Chinese manufacturing enterprises. Journal of Operations Management, 22(3), 265-289. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jom.2004.01.005
- Zhu, Q., Sarkis, J., & Lai, K. (2013). Institutional-based antecedents and performance outcomes of internal and external green supply chain management practices. Journal of Purchasing and Supply Management, 19, 106-117. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pursup.2012.12.001