Talent Workers as Entrepreneurs : a New Approach to Aspirational Self-employment
Using the concept of the so-called talent workers (Hsieh et al. 2016), we ask what the link is between wage employment as a talent worker and subsequent establishing of business. Individuals with tertiary education and experience in specific occupations are in principle more likely to develop or adopt innovations necessary for entrepreneurial success. We employ over a decade worth of individual level data on changes in labour market status for Poland - a country with high levels of self-employment, and analyse transitions to self-employment as opposed to switching a job. We find that talent workers are more likely to become self-employed than to change a job and the odds of creating more jobs are higher among talent workers who switch to self-employment than among other groups of workers who become self-employed. These results are robust to two possibly confounding effects - within-sector mobility and higher productivity of workers before entering self-employment. (original abstract)
- GRAPE | FAME; University of Warsaw
- GRAPE | FAME; Warsaw School of Economics
- University of Warsaw
- Aidis R., Estrin S., Mickiewicz T. (2007), Entrepreneurship in emerging markets: which institutions matter?, CEPR Discussion Papers, 7278.
- Astebro T., Thompson P. (2011), Entrepreneurs, jacks of all trades or hobos?, Research Policy, 40(5), 637-649.
- Audretsch D.B. (2007), Entrepreneurship capital and economic growth, Oxford Review of Economic Policy, 23(1), 63-78.
- Audretsch D.B., Bönte W., Keilbach M. (2008), Entrepreneurship capital and its impact on knowledge diffusion and economic performance, Journal of Business Venturing, 23(6), 687-698.
- Bengtsson O., Hand J.R. (2013), Employee compensation in entrepreneurial companies, Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, 22(2), 312-340.
- Bengtsson O., Sanandaji T., Johannesson M. (2012), Do women have a less entrepreneurial personality?, IFN Working Paper, 944.
- de Bettignies J.E., Chemla G. (2008), Corporate venturing, allocation of talent, and competition for star managers, Management Science, 54(3), 505-521.
- Blanchflower D.G. (2000), Self-employment in OECD countries, Labour Economics, 7(5), 471-505.
- Blanchflower D.G., Oswald A.J. (1998), What makes an entrepreneur?, Journal of Labor Economics, 16(1), 26-60.
- Blanchflower D.G., Oswald A.J. (1999), Well-being, insecurity and the decline of American job satisfaction, NBER Working Paper, 7487.
- Blanchflower D.G., Oswald A., Stutzer A. (2001), Latent entrepreneurship across nations, European Economic Review, 45(4), 680-691.
- Boente W., Falck O., Heblich S. (2009). The impact of regional age structure on entrepreneurship, Economic Geography, 85(3), 269-287.
- Bull I., Willard G.E. (1993), Towards a theory of entrepreneurship, Journal of Business Venturing, 8(3), 183-195.
- Burmeister K., Schade C. (2007), Are entrepreneurs' decisions more biased? An experimental investigation of the susceptibility to status quo bias, Journal of Business Venturing, 22(3), 340-362.
- Caliendo M., Kritikos A.S. (2008), Is entrepreneurial success predictable? An ex-ante analysis of the character-based approach, Kyklos, 61(2), 189-214.
- Carree M.A., Thurik A.R. (2010), The impact of entrepreneurship on economic growth, in: Z.J. Acs, D.B Audretsch (eds.), Handbook of Entrepreneurship Research, Springer.
- Di Addario S., Vuri D. (2010), Entrepreneurship and market size. The case of young college graduates in Italy, Labour Economics, 17(5), 848-858.
- Dick P., Nadin S. (2006), Reproducing gender inequalities? A critique of realist assumptions underpinning personnel selection research and practice, Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 79(3), 481-498.
- Disney R., Gathergood J. (2009), Housing wealth, liquidity constraints and self-employment, Labour Economics, 16(1), 79-88.
- Earle J.S., Sakova Z. (2000), Business start-ups or disguised unemployment? Evidence on the character of self-employment from transition economies, Labour Economics, 7(5), 575-601.
- Estrin S., Mickiewicz T. (2009), Do institutions have a greater effect on female entrepreneurs?, IZA Discussion Papers, 4577.
- Estrin S., Mickiewicz T. (2011), Entrepreneurship in transition economies: the role of institutions and generational change, in: M. Minniti (ed.), The Dynamics of Entrepreneurship. Evidence from the Global Entrepreneurship Monitor Data, Oxford University Press.
- Estrin S., Korosteleva J., Mickiewicz T. (2011), Which institutions encourage entrepreneurs to create larger firms?, IZA Discussion Papers, 5481.
- Estrin S., Korosteleva J., Mickiewicz T. (2013), Which institutions encourage entrepreneurial growth aspirations?, Journal of Business Venturing, 28(4), 564-580.
- Fairlie R.W., Robb A. (2007), Families, human capital, and small business: evidence from the characteristics of business owners survey, Industrial & Labor Relations Review, 60(2), 225-245.
- Fairlie R.W., Krashinsky H.A. (2012), Liquidity constraints, household wealth, and entrepreneurship revisited, Review of Income and Wealth, 58(2), 279-306.
- Fossen F. (2012), Risk attitudes and private business equity, DIW Berlin Discussion Paper, 1209.
- Fuchs-Schündeln N. (2009), On preferences for being self-employed, Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, 71(2), 162-171.
- Hellmann T. (2007), The role of patents for bridging the science to market gap, Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, 63(4), 624-647.
- Hessels J., Van Gelderen M., Thurik R. (2008), Entrepreneurial aspirations, motivations, and their drivers, Small Business Economics, 31(3), 323-339.
- Holtz-Eakin D., Joulfaian D., Rosen H.S. (1994), Sticking it out: entrepreneurial survival and liquidity constraints, Journal of Political Economy, 102(1), 53-75.
- Hyytinen A., Ilmakunnas P. (2005), Geneses of labour market turnover: job search and entrepreneurial aspirations on-the-job, EconWPA, 0501003.
- Hyytinen A., Ilmakunnas P. (2007), Entrepreneurial aspirations: another form of job search?, Small Business Economics, 29(1-2), 63-80.
- Hsieh C.T., Hurst E., Jones C.I., Klenow P.J. (2016), The allocation of talent and US economic growth, Econometrica, forthcoming.
- Lazear E.P. (2005), Entrepreneurship, Journal of Labor Economics, 23(4), 649-680.
- Lévesque M., Minniti M. (2011), Age matters: How demographics influence aggregate entrepreneurship, Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal, 5(3), 269-284.
- Liang J., Goetz S. (2014), The role of self-employment in mitigating trade shocks of Chinese imports on U.S. county labor markets, 2014 Annual Meeting, 27-29 July, 169709, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Llisterri J.J., Kantis H., Angelelli P., Tejerina L. (2006), Is Youth Entrepreneurship a Necessity or an Opportunity? A First Exploration of Household and New Enterprise Surveys in Latin America, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Low M.B., MacMillan I.C. (1988), Entrepreneurship: past research and future challenges, Journal of Management, 14(2), 139-161.
- Maloney W.F. (2009), How will Labor Markets Adjust to the Crisis? A Dynamic View, World Bank.
- Meyer K.E., Estrin S., Bhaumik S.K., Peng M.W. (2009), Institutions, resources, and entry strategies in emerging economies, Strategic Management Journal, 30(1), 61-80.
- Minniti M., Lévesque M. (2008), Recent developments in the economics of entrepreneurship, Journal of Business Venturing, 23(6), 603-612.
- Naudé W. (2010), Entrepreneurship, developing countries, and development economics: new approaches and insights, Small Business Economics, 34(1), 1-12.
- Parker S.C. (2006), Learning about the unknown: How fast do entrepreneurs adjust their beliefs?, Journal of Business Venturing, 21(1), 1-26.
- Parker S.C. (2012), Theories of entrepreneurship, innovation and the business cycle, Journal of Economic Surveys, 26(3), 377-394.
- Reynolds P.D., Camp S.M., Bygrave W.D., Autio E., Hay M. (2002), Global Entrepreneurship Monitor 2001. Executive Report, Babson College, London Business School.
- Schwens C., Isidor R., Bierwerth M., Kabst R. (2011), International entrepreneurship: a meta-analysis, Academy of Management Proceedings, 1, 1-5.
- Thurik A.R., Carree M.A., Van Stel A., Audretsch D.B. (2008), Does self-employment reduce unemployment?, Journal of Business Venturing, 23(6), 673-686.
- Tyrowicz J. (2011), What distinguishes entrepreneurs? Evidence on the motives for self-employment, Economics Letters, 112(3), 226-229.
- Van der Sluis J., Van Praag M., Vijverberg W. (2005), Entrepreneurship selection and performance: a meta-analysis of the impact of education in developing economies, The World Bank Economic Review, 19(2), 225-261.
- Van Praag C.M., Versloot P.H. (2007), What is the value of entrepreneurship? A review of recent research, Small Business Economics, 29(4), 351-382.
- Van Stel A., Carree M., Thurik R. (2005), The effect of entrepreneurial activity on national economic growth, Small Business Economics, 24(3), 311-321.
- Wennekers S., Thurik R. (1999), Linking entrepreneurship and economic growth, Small Business Economics, 13(1), 27-56.