Approaches to Evaluating Public Scientific Organizations: Experience of Leading Countries and Possibility of Using Them in Russia
The article aims at revealing the features and approaches in the auditing of public research institutions in the leading EU member states - Germany and France. To achieve that goal the authors provide a comparative analysis of the assessment systems of scientific organizations in the countries mentioned. The choice of focusing on Germany and France was made because French and German research institutions had held leading positions in the international ratings of scientific organizations. The study reveals the common features of the evaluation system of scientific organizations in France and Germany, including the predominance of qualitative expertise carried out by international experts over the quantitative ones, based on the measurable indicators, as well as their distinctive features. In conclusion the authors give recommendations on the possibilities of using the strengths of the European research evaluation systems in Russia. (original abstract)
- Davenport, T.H., & Prusak, L. (1998). Working knowledge: how organizations manage what they know. Boston, Mass: Harvard Business School Press.
- Gagnon, Yves-C. (2010). Case study as research method: a practical handbook. Québec: Presses de l'Université du Québec.
- Hamel, J., Dufour, S., & Fortin, D. (1993). Case study methods. Newbury Park: Sage Publications.
- Koroleva, T.S., Vasiliev, I.A., & Torjkov, I.O. (2014). Evaluation criteria for research institutes activities. Proceedings of the Saint Petersburg Forestry Research Institute, 2, 94-111.
- Liu, J. (2015). Study on the auditing theory of socialism with Chinese characteristics. Hoboken, New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Milner, B.Z. (2003). The concept of knowledge management in modern organizations. The Russian Management Journal, 1, 57-76.
- Nonaka, I., & Takeuchi, H. (1995). The knowledge-creating company: how Japanese companies create the dynamics of innovation. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Russia in figures (2016). Moscow: Federal State Statistics Service.
- Senge, P.M. (2006). The fifth discipline: the art and practice of the learning organization (Rev. and updated). New York: Doubleday/Currency.
- Toffler, A. (1980). The third wave. New York: Morrow.
- Whitley, R. (2007). Changing Governance of the Public Sciences. The Consequences of Establishing Research Evaluation Systems for Knowledge Production in Different Countries and Scientific Fields. In Whitley, R., & Glaser, J. (eds.) The changing governance of the sciences: the advent of research evaluation systems (pp. 3 -27). Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Springer.
- Whitley, R., & Glaser, J. (eds.) (2007). The changing governance of the sciences: the advent of research evaluation systems. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Springer.
- Allmendinger, J., Gamisch, M. Innovation and the public research organization in the ERA (Policy Brief N°11). Retrieved June 09, 2017, from https://ec.europa.eu/research/innovation-union/pdf/expert-groups/i4g-reports/i4g_policy_brief__11_-_innovation_public_research_organisation_era.pdf.
- Ewalt, D. (2017, March 1). The World's Most Innovative Research Institutions - 2017. Retrieved June 02, 2017, from http://www.reuters.com/article/innovative-institutions-ranking-idUSL2N1GC1NG
- Federal Ministry of Education and Research (2016, December). Federal Report on Research and Innovation 2016. Retrieved June 09, 2017, from https://www.bmbf.de/pub/Bufi_2016_Short_Version_eng.pdf
- Federal system for monitoring scientific organizations performing R&D activities and technological works. The Decision of the Government of the Russian Federation No. 312 of April 8, 2009 "On the Assessing the Effectiveness of Scientific Organizations, Performing R&D Activities and Technological Works for Civil Purposes". Retrieved June 09, 2017, from http://www.sciencemon.ru/legal/acts/postanovlenie-pravitelstva-rf-ot-8-aprelya-2009-312/
- Federal system for monitoring scientific organizations performing R&D activities and technological works. Application 2 to the proceedings of the meeting of the Interdepartmental Commission for the performance evaluation of the scientific organizations. Retrieved June 02, 2017, from http://www.sciencemon.ru/files/contentfile/31/prilozenie-2-porogovye-znacenia-osnovnyh-i-dopolnitelnyh-pokazatelej-v-referentnyh-gruppah.docx
- German Council of Science and Humanities (2004, November 12). Recommendations for rankings in the system of higher education and research. Retrieved June 02, 2017, from https://www.wissenschaftsrat.de/download/archiv/6285-04-engl.pdf
- German Council of Science and Humanities (2014, October 24). Tasks, criteria and procedures of the Evaluation Committee of the German Council of Science and Humanities. Retrieved June 09, 2017, from https://www.wissenschaftsrat.de/download/archiv/4205-14_engl.pdf
- High Council for the Evaluation of Research and Higher Education (2016, June 6). Evaluation Charter. Retrieved June 09, 2017, from http://www.hceres.com/content/download/26693/409581/file/HCERES_Charte%20de%20l'Evaluation_060616_GB.pdf
- High Council for the Evaluation of Research and Higher Education (2016, June 6). Principles for HCERES validation of the procedures for evaluations carried out by other bodies. Retrieved June 09, 2017, from http://www.hceres.com/index.php/content/download/26707/409536/file/HCERES_ValidationofProcedures_20160606_EN.pdf
- High Council for the Evaluation of Research and Higher Education. (2016, November). Evaluation des etablissements. Retrieved June 09, 2017, from http://www.hceres.com/content/download/28633/439259/file/R%C3%A9f%C3%A9rentiel%20Vague%20D%20Etablissements.pdf
- Hiney, M. (2015, December). Briefing Paper. Research Integrity: What it Means, Why it Is Important and How we Might Protect it. Retrieved June 09, 2017, from http://www.scienceeurope.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Briefing_Paper_Research_Integrity_web.pdf
- Legifrance (2006, April 18). Code de la recherche - Article L114-1-1. Retrieved June 09, 2017, from https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichCodeArticle.do?cidTexte=LEGITEXT000006071190&idArticle=LEGIARTI000006524159
- Legifrance (2017, June 9). Décret n° 2014-1365 du 14 novembre 2014 relatif à l'organisation et au fonctionnement du Haut Conseil de l'évaluation de la recherche et de l'enseignement supérieur. Retrieved June 09, 2017, from https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichTexte.do?cidTexte=JORFTEXT000029762447
- Science and Technology Observatory (2016, November). L'OST. Retrieved June 09, 2017, from http://www.obs-ost.fr/page/presentation
- SCImago Institutions Rankings. Retrieved June 09, 2017, from http://www.scimagoir.com/rankings.php