ENP in the Context of the EU's External Policy Framework: a Critical Examination of the ENP's Outcomes and Prospects
The EU has an ability to induce change in its neighbourhood by a wide range of means. The question is how deep and how extensive that influence can be. The objective of this paper is to address this issue. To this end, following an overview of the ENP's evolution, the challenges that the ENP faces are discussed. It is argued that although the ENP has not always proved an efficient EU's external policy instrument, it retains an important position in the EU's external policy with a wide range of economic and political instruments extended to the ENP partner-countries.(original abstract)
- Andreev, S.A., 'The future of European Neighbourhood Policy and the role of regional cooperation in the Black Sea area', Southeast European and Black Sea Studies, vol. 8, no. 2, 2008.
- Ban, I., The Black Sea Region and the European Neighbourhood Policy, Budapest: CEU-ENS, 2006.
- Bechev, D., Nicolaidis, K., 'From Policy to Policy: Can the EU Special Relations with Its "Neighbourhood" Be Decenterd?', Journal of Common Market Studies, vol. 48, no. 3, 2010.
- De Waele, H., Layered Global Player. Legal Dynamics of EU External Relations, London-New York: Springer, 2011.
- Dośpiał-Borysiak, K., Kapuśniak, T., 'Wschodni wymiar w polityce Unii Europejskiej' [Eastern dimension in the policy of the European Union], Studia Europejskie [European Studies], no. 4, 2008.
- European Commission, Communication from the Commission to the Council and the European Parliament on Black Sea Synergy - A New Regional Cooperation Initiative, COM (2007) 160 final, Brussels: European Commission, 11 April 2007.
- European Commission, Communication on Strengthening the European Neighbourhood Policy, COM (2006) 726 final, Brussels: European Commission, 2006.
- European Commission, 'Eastern Partnership', Communication from the Commission, COM (2008) 823 final, confirmed by Joint Declaration of the Prague Eastern Partnership Summit, Prague, 7 May 2009.
- European Commission, 'European Neighbourhood Policy - Strategy Paper', Communication from the Commission to the Council and European Parliament, COM (2004) 373 final, Brussels, 12 May 2004.
- European Commission, 'European Neighbourhood Policy: Working towards a Stronger Partnership', Joint Communication to the European Parliament, the Council, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions, JOIN (2013) 4 final, 20 March 2013, Brussels.
- European Commission, 'Neighbourhood at the crossroads - taking stock of a year of challenges', Press Release, 27 March 2014, Brussels: European Commission, 2014.
- European Commission, 'The Impact of the Global Crisis on Neighbouring Countries of the EU', Occasional Papers, no. 48, June 2009.
- European Commission, 'The Multiannual Financial Framework: The External Action Financing Instruments', Memo/Press Release Database, 11 December 2013, Brussels: European Commission, 2013, http://europa.eu/rapid/ press-release_MEMO-13-1134_en.htm [2016-11-04].
- European Commission and European Union External Action Service, 'A New Response to a Changing Neighbourhood: A review of European Neighbourhood Policy', Joint Communication by the High Representative of the Union For Foreign Affairs And Security Policy and the European Commission, Brussels, 25 May 2011.
- European Commission and External Action Service, 'A New Response to a Changing Neighbourhood: A review of European Neighbourhood Policy', Joint Communication by the High Representative of The Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy and the European Commission, Brussels, 25 May 2011.
- European Commission, High Representative of the European Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, 'Neighbourhood at the Crossroads: Implementation of the European Neighbourhood Policy in 2013', Joint Communication to the European Parliament, the Council, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions, JOIN (2014) 12 final, 27 March 2014, Brussels.
- European Commission, High Representative of the European Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, 'Review of the European Neighbourhood Policy', Joint Communication to the European Parliament, the Council, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions, JOIN (2015) 50 final, Brussels, 18 November 2015.
- Gnedina, E., Popescu, N., 'The European Neighbourhood Policy's first decade in the Eastern Neighbourhood', Neighbourhood Policy Paper, no. 3, July 2012, Center for International and European Studies.
- Grant, C., 'A New Neighbourhood Policy for the EU', Centre for European Reform, March 2011.
- Gstohl, S., 'The EU as a Norm Exporter?', in: D. Mahncke, S. Gstohl, (eds), Europe's Near Abroad. Promises and Prospects of the EU's Neighbourhood Policy, Brussels: P.I.E. Peter Lang S.A., 2008.
- Kaca, E., 'Neighbourhood Policy: '"More for More" Requires Stronger Union Diplomacy', PISM Bulletin, no. 107 (440), Warsaw: Polish Institute of International Affairs, 16 November 2012.
- Kapuśniak, T., 'Wymiar wschodni Europejskiej Polityki Sąsiedztwa Unii Europejskiej. Inkluzja bez członkostwa?' [Eastern dimension of the European Neighbourhood Policy of the European Union. Inclusion without membership?], Natolin Zeszyty [Natolin Papers], no. 42, 2010.
- Konarzewska, A., 'Strategia Unii Europejskiej wobec regionu Morza Czarnego' [EU Strategy towards Black See Region], Bezpieczeństwo Narodowe [National Security], no. 5-6, 2007.
- Kwiecień, J., 'Interests and preferences and their constitutive role in the EaP: regional, national and local actors vis-à-vis the ENP's goals and objectives', Yearbook of the Institute of East-Central Europe, vol. 13, no. 4, 2015.
- Lungu, K., 'Transnistria - who to blame?', ECFR Commentary, 15 January 2016, http://www.ecfr.eu/article/commentary_transnistria_who_to_ blame [2016-11-04].
- Piskorska, B., "Synergia czarnomorska": zbliżenie państw regionu Morza Czarnego do UE' ['Black Sea synergy': rapprochement of the states of the Black Sea region to the UE], in: M. Pietraś, K. Stachurska-Szczesiak, J. Misiągiewicz (eds), Europejska Polityka Sąsiedztwa Unii Europejskiej. Unia i jej bliscy sąsiedzi [European Neighbourhood Policy of the EU. The Union and its close neighbours], Lublin: Wydawnictwo UMCS, 2012.
- Rupnik, J. (ed.), Les Banlieues de l'Europe [The suburbs of Europe], Paris: Presses de Sciences Po, 2007.
- Sasse, G., 'The ENP Process and the EU's Eastern Neighbours: "Conditionality-lite", Socialisation and "Procedural Entrapment"', Global Europe Papers, 2008/9.
- Sasse, G., 'The European Neighbourhood Policy: Conditionality Revised for the EU's Eastern Neighbours', Europe-Asia Studies, no. 60/2, 2008.
- Smith, K., 'The Outsiders: The European Neighbourhood Policy', International Affairs, vol. 81, no. 4, 2005.
- Tassinari, F., 'A Synergy for Black Sea Regional Cooperation. Guidelines for an EU Initiative', CEPS Policy Brief, no. 105, 2006.
- Visvizi, A., 'Social Innovation in the EU and the Black Sea Region: trends, challenges and opportunities', in: A. Korovesi, (ed.) Empowering Civil Society in the Black Sea region: a tool for Innovative Social Change, Xenophon Paper, no. 13, 2013, Athens: International Centre for Black Sea Studies (ICBSS).
- Weber, K., Smith, M.E., Baum, M., Governing Europe's neighbourhood. Partners or periphery?, Manchester-New York: Manchester University Press, 2007.