Effectiveness of Agile Compared to Waterfall Implementation Methods in it Projects : Analysis Based on Business Intelligence Projects
The global Business Intelligence (BI) market grew by 7.3% in 2016 according to the Gartner report (2017). Today, organizations require better use of data and analytics to support their business decisions. Internet power and business trend changes have provided a broad term for data analytics Big Data. To be able to handle it and leverage a value of having access to Big Data, organizations have no other choice than to get proper systems implemented and working. However, traditional methods are not efficient for changing business needs. Long time between project start and go-live causes a gap between initial solution blueprint and actual user requirements at the end of the project. This article presents the latest market trends in BI systems implementation by comparing agile with traditional methods. It presents a case study provided in a large telecommunications company (350 BI users) and the results of a pilot research provided in the three large companies: media, digital, and insurance. Both studies prove that agile methods might be more effective in BI projects from an end-user perspective and give first results and added value in a much shorter time compared to a traditional approach. (original abstract)
- Awad, M.A., 2012. Comparison between Agile and Traditional Software Development Methodologies. School of Computer Science and software Engineering, The University of Western Australia, 2005.
- Bannon L.J., 1991. From Human Factors to Human Actors The Role of Psychology and Human-Computer Interaction Studies in Systems Design. Book Chapter in Greenbaum, J. & Kyng, M. (eds.) (1991). Design at work: Cooperative Design of Computer Systems. Hillsdale: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, pp.25-44.
- BARC, http://barc-research.com/research/bi-trend-monitor/.
- Beck, K., Beedle, M., Arie van Bennekum, Cockburn, A., Cunningham, W., Fowler, M., Highsmith, J., Hunt, A., Jeffries, R., Kern, J., Marick, B., Martin, R.C., Mellor S., Schwaber, K., Sutherland, J. Thomas, D., Grenning J., 2001. Principles behind the Agile Manifesto. January 2016. Retrieved from: www.agilemanifesto.org/principles.html
- Blomkvist, S., 2010. Towards a Model for Bringing Agile Development and User-Centered Design. Uppsala University, Sweden.
- Cerqueira, P., 2015. Lessons Learned Supporting a Large-Scale, Real-World Production Data Warehouse/Business Intelligence Environment, Business Intelligence Journal, Volume 20, Number 4, December 2015.
- Chen, H., Chiang, R.H.L., & Storey, V.C., 2012. Business Intelligence and Analytics: From Big Data to Big Impact. MIS Quarterly, 36(4), 1165-1188.
- Cobb, Ch.G., 2015. The Project Manager's Guide to Mastering Agile: Principles and Practices for an Adaptive Approach (1), John Wiley & Sons, Incorporated, Somerset, US.
- Dresner H., 2012. Wisdom of Crowds Business Intelligence Market Study. Dresdner Advisory Services' (DAS), May 2012.
- Eckerson, W., 2007. Predictive Analytics. Extending the Value of Your Data Warehousing Investment, TDWI Best Practices Report. June 2013. Retrieved from: http://www.sas.com/events/cm/174390/assets/102892_0107.pdf
- Eckerson W., 2007. The Secrets of Creating an Agile Adaptable BI Environment, 2010, TDWI Education. March 2011. Retrieved from: http://tdwi.org/webcasts/2007/11/the-secrets-ofbuilding-an-agile-adaptable-bi-environment.aspx
- Evelson, B., 2010. Agile BI out of the Box, pp.1-18. March 2010. Retrieved from: https://www.wherescape.com/getattachment/resource-library/white-papers/agile-bi-out-of-the-box/Agile-BIout-of-the-box.pdf
- Gartner Report, 2013. Gartner Says Worldwide Business Intelligence, CPM and Analytic Applications/Performance Management Software Market Grew Seven Percent in 2012. June 2013. Retrieved from: www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/2507915
- Gartner Report, 2017. Critical Capabilities for Business Intelligence and Analytics Platforms report, February 2017. Retrieved from: http://pages.pyramidanalytics.com/gartner-mqand-critical-capabilities-2017.html?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=solutionsreview&utm_campaign=Gartner2016&utm_content=300x250.
- Gefen, D., 2004. What Makes an ERP Implementation Relationship Worthwhile: Linking Trust Mechanisms and ERP Usefulness. Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol., 21. No. 1. pp 263-288, Summer 2004.
- Kernochan W., 2012. Why Most Business Intelligence Projects Fail. June 2014. Retrieved from: http://www.enterpriseappstoday.com/business-intelligence/why-most-business-intelligence-projects-fail-1.html.
- Marjanovic O., 2010. Business Value Creation through Business Processes Management and Operational Business Intelligence Integration. May 2015. Retrieved from: http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/login.jsp?tp=&arnumber=5428535&url=http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpls/abs_all.jsp?arnumber=5428535.
- Muntean M., 2011. A Business Intelligence framework for universities. The tenth International Conference on Informatics in Economy - Education, Research &Business Technologies, (IE2011), Department of Informatics in Economy, Faculty of Cybernetics, Statistics and Informatics in Economy, Academy of Economic Studies, Bucures_ti, Education, Research & Business Technologies, pp.1-6.
- Oxford Economics Reports, 2015. Digital Megatrends 2015, The role of Technology in the New Normal market. May 2015. Retrieved from: https://www.oxfordeconomics.com/Media/Default/Thought Leadership/advisory-panels/Digital_Megatrends.pdf.
- Parker J., 2014. KPIs for Agile Project Managers and Business Analysts. January 2016. Retrieved from: http://www.slideshare.net/EnfocusSolutions/kpis-for-agile-projectmanagers-and-busi ness-analysts
- Project Management & Agile Methodologies. September 2012. Retrieved from: https://www.cprime.com/2012/09/project-management-agilemethodologies
- Scott, W., 2012. Active Stakeholder Participation: An Agile Best Practice. January 2016. Retrieved from: http://agilemodeling.com/essays/activeStakeholderParticipation.htm