Processes of Deliberation and Negotiation in the Revamped ENP: Divergent modes of Governance that Emerge at the Intersection of EaP/SoP and the EU and its Member States
The understanding of the process of negotiation as a mode of neighbourhood governance requires that three questions be explored, i.e. the salience of the EU enlargement policy as a source of inspiration for the European Neighbourhood Policy (ENP); the complexity of the negotiation process with several factors that shape the context, including most importantly the actors involved, their interests and preferences as well as their specific strategies, negotiation and communication styles; and the implications of the ideas behind the ENP as a result of which the target regions were treated in an uneven manner from the beginning. The paper seeks to assess the influence of the instrument of 'negotiation' on the background of other modes of neighbourhood governance. At the same time, it aims at furthering analysis of the ENP through the 'negotiation perspective' in order to deepen our understanding of this policy-framework.(original abstract)
- Bechev, D., Nicolaidis, K., 'From Policy to Policy: Can the EU Special Relations with Its 'Neighbourhood' Be Decentred?', Journal of Common Market Studies, vol. 48, no. 3, 2010.
- Cameron, F. (in collaboration with Balfour, R.), 'The European Neighbourhood Policy as a conflict prevention tool', EPC Issue Paper, no. 47, Brussels: European Policy Centre, 2006.
- Gänzle, S., 'The EU's Neighbourhood Policy. A Strategy for Security in Europe?', in: S. Gänzle, A. Sens (eds), The Changing Patterns of European Security: Europe Alone?, London: Palgrave-Macmillan, 2007.
- Elgström, O., Smith, M., 'Introduction: Negotiation and policy-making in the European Union - processes, system and order', Journal of European Public Policy, vol. 7, no. 5, 2000, pp. 675-677.
- European Commission, 'The Impact of the Global Crisis on Neighbouring Countries of the EU', Occasional Papers, no. 48, June 2009.
- European Commission, 'Paving the way for a New Neighbourhood Instrument', Communication from the Commission, COM (2003) 393, Brussels, 1 July 2003.
- European Commission, 'Wider Europe - Neighbourhood: A New Framework For Relations with our Eastern and Southern Neighbours', Communication from the Commission to the Council and the European Parliament, COM (2003) 104, Brussels, 11 March 2003.
- European Commission, High Representative of the European Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, 'Review of the European Neighbourhood Policy', Joint Communication to the European Parliament, the Council, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions, JOIN (2015) 50 final, Brussels, 18 November 2015.
- European Commission, High Representative of the European Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, 'Neighbourhood at the Crossroads: Implementation of the European Neighbourhood Policy in 2013', Joint Communication to the European Parliament, the Council, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions, JOIN (2014) 12 final, 27 March 2014, Brussels.
- Gniazdowski, M., Wojna, B. (eds), Partnerstwo Wschodnie - raport otwarcia [Eastern Partnership - opening report], Warsaw: Polski Instytut Spraw Międzynarodowych [The Polish Institute of International Affairs], 2009.
- Grącik-Zajączkowski, M., 'Ideas in ENP: conflicting visions and interests of the ENP: the partner-countries', Yearbook of the Institute of East-Central Europe, vol. 13, no. 4, 2015.
- Héritier, A., 'New Modes of Governance in Europe: Policy-Making without Legislating?', in: A. Héritier (ed.), Common Goods: Reinventing European and International Governance, Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, 2002.
- Ikle, F.CH., How Nations Negotiate, New York: Praeger, 1964.
- Jönsson, Ch., Communication in International Bargaining, London: Pinter, 1990.
- Kaca, E., 'Neighbourhood Policy: 'More for More' Requires Stronger Union Diplomacy', PISM Bulletin, no. 107 (440), 16 November 2012.
- Knill, Ch., Pitschel, D., Bauer, M., 'Conceptualizing 'Europeanisation' in Eastern Europe: EU Impact in 'Likely' and 'Unlikely' Member States', in: S. Gänzle, G. Müntel, E. Vinokurov (eds), Adapting to Integration in Europe. The Case of the Russian Exclave of Kaliningrad, Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2008.
- Kwiecień, J., 'Interests and preferences and their constitutive role in the EaP: regional, national and local actors vis-à-vis the ENP's goals and objectives', Yearbook of the Institute of East-Central Europe, vol. 13, no. 4, 2015.
- Lavenex, S., 'EU external governance in "wider Europe"', Journal of European Public Policy, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 680-700.
- Lungu, K., 'Transnistria - who to blame?', ECFR Commentary, 15 January 2016, http://www.ecfr.eu/article/commentary_transnistria_who_to_ blame [2016-05-20].
- Moravcsik, A., 'Preferences and power in the European Community: a liberal intergovernmentalist approach', Journal of Common Market Studies, vol. 31, no. 4, 1993, pp. 473-524.
- Moravcsik, A., The Choice for Europe, Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 1998.
- Mouhoub, R., Debbihi, A., 'The European Neighbourhood policy: one policy, two neighbourhoods', Management Intercultural, vol. XVIII, no. 2 (36), 2016.
- Olędzka, J., 'Strategie przetrwania prezydenta Białorusi, A. Łukaszenki' [Survival strategies of the president of Belarus, A. Lukashenka], KOMENTARZE IESW [Commentary IESW], no. 30/2016, 2016-11-08.
- Reinhard, J., 'EU democracy promotion through conditionality in its neighbourhhood: The temptation of membership perspective or flexible integration?', Caucasian Review of International Affairs, vol. 4, no. 3, 2010.
- Rupnik, J. (ed.), Les Banlieues de l'Europe [The Suburbs of Europe], Paris: Presses de Sciences Po, 2007.
- Schmidt, V., 'European Integration and Institutional Change: The Transformation of National Patterns of Policy-making', in: G. Göhler (ed.), Institutionenwandel [Institutional change], PVS-Sonderheft, 1997, pp. 143-180.
- Szeligowski, D., 'Analysis: Partnership - Tool for Democratisation and Modernisation of Eastern Europe?', Eastbook.eu, 27 January 2012, http://www. eastbook.eu/en/2012/01/27/analysis-partnership-tool-for-democratisation-and-modernisation-of-eastern-europe/ [2016-08-09].
- Walker, S., 'Oligarchs nouveaux? Why some say Ukraine is still in thrall to an elite', The Guardian, 21 July 2015, http://www.theguardian.com/profile/shaun-walker [2016-07-05].
- Wallace, H., 'Politics and policy in the EU: the challenge of governance', in: H. Wallace, W. Wallace (eds), Policy-Making in the European Union, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1996.
- Żukrowska, K., 'Ideas in the ENP. Conflicting visions and interests of the ENP between the EU member states and institutions?', Yearbook of the Institute of East-Central Europe, vol. 14, no. 6, 2016, pp. 121-145.