A Model for Information Support for Knowledge Workers
This article aims to elaborate on a model of information support for knowledge workers in Polish enterprises. Earlier research has explored the use of Web 2.0 technology for information sharing. Nevertheless, relatively little information has been published that focuses on the impact of information sharing among knowledge workers within a company and its subsequent influence on a firm's effectiveness as identified via the number of new products created, number of completed research topics, or number of new patents. The author aims to analyze the effectiveness of information sharing in Polish enterprises based on the research results gained from the study described in this paper. In particular, this study pays attention to the likely consequences and results of information sharing by the use of employee web logs. This is followed by a discussion of the results of the empirical studies and of the supporting literature. The summary indicates potential directions for further work. (original abstract)
- Borghoff U.M., Pareschi R. - Information technology for knowledge management [in] Journal of Universal Computer Science, Vol. 3, No. 8, 1997, pp. 835-842.
- Cantor D.E., Macdonald J.R. - Decision-making in the supply chain: examining problem solving approaches and information availability [in] Journal Operation Management, Vol. 27, 2007, pp. 220-232.
- Chan H.K., Chan F.T.S. - Effect of information sharing in supply chains with flexibility [in] International Journal of Production Research, Vol. 47, No. 1, 2009, pp. 213-232.
- Davenport T.H., Long D.W.D., Beers M.C. - Successful knowledge management projects [in] Sloan Management Review , Vol. 39, No. 2, 1998, pp. 43-57.
- Dewett T., Jones G.R. - The role of information technology in the organization: A review, model, and assessment [in] Journal of Management, Vol. 27, No. 3, 2001, pp. 313-346.
- Efimova L., Grudin J. - Crossing boundaries: A case study of employee blogging [in] Proceedings of the fortieth Hawaii international conference on system sciences (HICSS-40) 2007; IEEE Press, Los Alamitos.
- Fabrizio K.R. - Absorptive capacity and the search for innovation, [in] Research Policy, Vol. 38, 2009, pp. 255-267.
- Farlow S.J. (ed.) - Self-organizing Methods in Modelling: GMDH-type Algorithms, Marcel Dekker Inc, New York 1984.
- Huang Y.M., Chen J.N., Kuo Y.H., Jeng Y.L. - An intelligent human-expert forum system based on fuzzy information retrieval technique [in] Expert Systems with Applications, Vol. 34, No. 1, pp. 446-458.
- Kłos S., Patalas-Maliszewska J. - The impact of ERP on maintenance management [in] Management and Production Engineering Review, Vol. 4, No. 3, 2013, pp. 15-25.
- Leng M., Parlar M. - Allocation of cost savings in a three level supply chain with demand information sharing: a cooperative-game approach [in] Operation Research, Vol. 57, No. 1, 2009, pp. 200-213.
- Liu Y., Phillips J.S. - Examining the antecedents of knowledge sharing in facilitating team innovativeness from a multilevel perspective, [in] International Journal of Information Management, Vol. 31, 2011, pp. 44-52.
- Mujadi H., Takeda H., Shakya A., Kawamoto S., Kobayashi S., Fujiyama A., Ando K. - Semantic Wiki as a lightweight knowledge management system [in] Semantic Web - Aswc, Vol. 4185, 2006, pp. 65-71.
- Müller J., Stocker A. - Enterprise microblogging for advanced knowledge sharing: The references@ BT case study [in] Journal of Universal Computer Science, Vol. 17, No. 4, 2011, pp. 532-547.
- Müller M., Seuring S. - Reducing information technology-based transaction costs in supply chains, [in] Industrial Management & Data Systems, Vol. 107, No. 4, 2007, pp. 484-500.
- Nonaka I., von Krogh G. - Tacit knowledge and knowledge conversion: Controversy and advancement in organizational knowledge creation theory [in] Organization Science, Vol. 20, No. 3, 2009, pp. 635-652.
- Park K.H., Favrel J. - Virtual enterprise - information system and networking solution [in] Computers & Industrial Engineering, Vol. 37, No. 1-2, 1999, pp. 441-444.
- Patalas-Maliszewska J. - Knowledge Worker Management: Value Assessment, Methods, and Application Tools. Springer, Heidelberg Germany 2013.
- Premkumar G., Ramamurthy K., Crum M. - Determinants of EDI adoption in the transportation industry [in] European Journal of Information Systems, Vol. 6, 1997; 6: 107-121.
- Schoendienst V., Krasnova H., Guenther O., Riehle D. - Micro-blogging adoption in the enterprise: An empirical analysis [in] Wirtschaftinformatik Proceedings, 2011, available from http://aisel.aisnet.org/wi2011/22 (accessed 28.06.12)
- Shapiro C., Varian H.R. - Information rules: A strategic guide to the network economy. Harvard Business School Press, Cambridge 1999.
- Tanriverdi H. - Performance effects of information technology synergies in multibusiness firms [in] MIS Quarterly, Vol. 30, No. 1, 2006, pp. 57-77.
- Teece D.J., Pisano G., Shuen A. - Dynamic capabilities and strategic management, [in] Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 18, No. 7, pp. 509-533.
- Tyndale P. - Ataxonomy of knowledge management software tools: origins and applications [in] Evaluation and Program Planning, Vol. 25, 2002, pp. 183-190.
- Von Hippel E. - Sticky information and the locus of problem solving: Implications for innovation. [in] Management Science, Vol. 40, 1994, pp. 429-439.
- Von Krogh G. - How does social software change knowledge management? Toward a strategic research agenda [in] Journal of Strategic Information Systems, Vol. 21, No. 2, 2012, pp. 154-164
- Zahra S.A., George G. - Absorptive capacity: a review, reconceptualization, and extension [in] Academy of Management Review, Vol. 27, 2002, pp. 185-203.