Entrepreneurial Orientation : a Case of Gauteng Province, South Africa
The relationship between entrepreneurial orientation and business performance using 500 small- and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in Gauteng province, South Africa was tested. Questionnaire was used to collect data from 500 SME owners. The findings from the survey among 500 SME owners were modelled through a categorical regression model with business performance as dependent variable. The level of significance of the 8 variables out of 12 variables suggests that entrepreneurial orientation be classified as the strongest predictor of business performance. The ability to adjust one's business model to adapt to changed economic circumstances is an important thing as it dictates performance in increasingly competitive economic environment. (original abstract)
- Andendorff C.M. (2004) - The development of a cultural family business model of good governance for Greek family business in South Africa. Doctoral thesis in Business Management, Rhodes University, Grahamstown.
- Antonic B., Hisrich R.D. (2003) - Clarifying the intrapreneurship concept. Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, 10 (1): 7-24.
- Bandura A. (1997) - Self-efficacy. The exercise of control. New York: Freeman & Co.
- Cooper A.C, Gascon E.J.G.(1992) - Entrepreneurs, processes of founding, and new-firm performance in The state of art of entrepreneurship, edited by DL Sexton & JD Kassadra. Boston: PWS-Kent.
- Cooper D.R. Schindler P.S. (2008) - Business research methods. 10th edition. Boston: McGraw-Hill Irwin.
- Global Entrepreneurship Monitor (GEM) (2013) - 2013 Report on Higher Expectation Entrepreneurship from: www.gemconsortium.org (accessed on 1 June 2014).
- Global Entrepreneurship Monitor (GEM) (2014) - 2015 Report on Higher Expectation Entrepreneurship from: www.gemconsortium.org (accessed on 1 April 2015).
- Li Y.H, Huang J.W, Tsai M.T. (2009) - Entrepreneurial orientation and company performance: The role of knowledge creation process. Industrial Marketing Management 38(209):440-449.
- Lumpkin G.T., Dess G.G. (2001) - Linking two dimensions of entrepreneurial orientation to business performance: The moderating role of environment and industry life cycle. Journal of Business Venturing 16:429-451.
- Murphy G.B., Trailer J.W., Hill R. (1996). Measuring performance in entrepreneurship research. Journal of Business Research. Vol. 36(1): pp15-23.
- Radipere N.S. (2013) - Analysis of local and immigrant entrepreneurship in the South African small enterprise sector (Gauteng province). D Com (Business Management) thesis, University of South Africa, Pretoria.
- Rauch A., Wiklund J., Lumpkin G.T., Frese M. (2009) - Entrepreneurial orientation and business performance: An assessment of past research and suggestions for the future. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice 33(3):761-787.
- Rwigema H., Urban B., Venter R. (2008) - Entrepreneurship. Theory in practice. 2nd edition. Cape Town: Oxford University Press.
- Wiklund J., Shepherd D. (2003) - Knowledgebased resources, entrepreneurial orientation and performance of small and medium businesses. Strategic Management Journal 24:1307-1314.
- Wiklund J., Shepherd D. (2005) - Entrepreneurial orientation and small business performance: A configurational approach. Journal of Business Venturing 20:71-91.