Playing the Old Tunes: A Fiskean Analysis of Baz Luhrmann's 2013 Cinematic Adaptation of The Great Gatsby
Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby has been adapted many times by different directors. However, the two prominent adaptations standing out throughout history are Jay Clayton's 1974 adaptation as the most sincere rendering of the book, and the recently adapted movie by the Broadway director, Baz Luhrmann. The latter adaptation is important in that it has been accomplished in the age of technology, in 3D format, and at the time of the new readings, i.e. cultural or new historical readings, of the novel. This paper is an endeavor to analyze the movie through John Fiske's theory on media studies. Also, an effort has been made to see whether in this new adaptation, the idea of the new studies of the novel have been shown by the director, or else the movie is a mere representation of struggle for money discussed by the traditional Marxist scholars, metaphorically playing the old tunes. (original abstract)
- John Fiske, Television culture: popular pleasures and politics, Taylor & Francis e- Library, New York, (2001).
- B. Luhrmann, C. Martin, D. Wick, L. Fisher, C. Knapman, (Producers), B. Luhrmann, (Director). (2013). The Great Gatsby [Motion picture]. Australia: A Warner Bros. Pictures.
- Chibnall, Steve, Film review If You Build It, She Will Come: An Appreciation of Baz Luhrmann's The Great Gatsby (2013), Adaptation. 7: 1 (2014) 94-97. DOI: 10.1093/adaptation/apu003
- Information on http: /www. hollywoodreporter. com.
- Dana Polan, The Great American Novel as Pop-Up Book: Baz Luhrmann's The Great Gatsby, Adaptation. 6: 3 (2013) 397-399. DOI: 10.1093/adaptation/apt018
- Information on http: /www. tor. com.
- R. Guzman, (2013, May 6). The Great Gatsby' review: A good 'Gatsby, but a great Leonardo DiCaprio. Newsday. Retrieved from http: /www. newsday. com/entertainment/movies/the-great- gatsby-review-a-good-gatsby-but-a-great-leonardo-dicaprio-1. 5207150. DOI: 10.1007/978-1-349-20768-8_10
- Zoller Seitz, M. (2013, May 8). The Great Gatsby. Roger Ebert. Retrieved from http: /www. rogerebert. com/reviews/the-great-gatsby-(2013).
- Nick Pinkerton, The Great Gatsby, Sight & Sound. 23. 7 (2013) 66-67.
- D. Denby, (2013, May 5). All that Jazz. The New Yorker. Retrieved from http: /www. newyorker. com/magazine/2013/05/13/all-that-jazz-3.
- Information on http: /www. bfi. org. uk.
- Alan A. Stone, The Greater Gatsby, Boston Review. 38: 4 (2013) 76-79.
- Philip McGowan, The American Carnival of The Great Gatsby, in: Harold Bloom (Ed. ), Bloom's Modern Critical Interpretations, Infobase Publishing, New York, 2010, pp.145-156.
- Anett Koch, The Visual Aesthetics of Baz Luhrmann's Red Curtain Cinema, Intensifying the Experience and Exposing the Artifice in William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet, Moulin Rouge and The Great Gatsby, M.A. thesis, University of Mannheim, Mannheim, Germany, (2014).
- Luhrmann, Baz, Baz Luhrmann's Gatsby Journal, Warner Bros Home Entertainment, California, (2013).