European Identity and Turkey's Quest for the EU Membership
In the post-Single European Act period, debates around European identity have intensified, particularly in the context of EU enlargement. The EU's move to being a supranational political entity in the past two decades has caused serious concerns in some sections of the elite and people across the EU member states. While French and Dutch rejections of the constitutional treaty set an important milestone, Turkey's quest for the EU membership has complicated to a great extent controversies on European identity. The reviewed books here contribute to efforts to understand the extent to which European identity and Turkey's bid for the EU membership has entangled. It is more likely to witness debates around both European identity and Turkey's candidacy for the Union for many years to come; therefore, these books will more likely remain relevant for the academic and policy circles.(original abstract)
- Caporaso, J. and M. Kim, "The dual nature of European identity: subjective awareness and coherence", Journal of European Public Policy, 16(1), 2008, pp. 19-42. doi: 10.1080/13501760802453155 ThomsonISI: http://gateway.webofknowledge.com/gateway/Gateway.cgi?GWVersion=2&SrcApp=PARTNER_APP&SrcAuth=LinksAMR&KeyUT=WOS:000261413900002&DestLinkType=FullRecord&DestApp=ALL_WOS&UsrCustomerID=b7bc2757938ac7a7a821505f8243d9f3
- Checkel, J. and P. Katzenstein, "Preface", in European Identity, eds. J. Checkel and P.Kaztzenstein, Cambridge University Press, UK, 2009, pp. xi-xiii.
- Fligstein, N., A. Polyakova and W. Sandholtz, "European Integration, Nationalism and European Identity, Journal of Common Market Studies, 50(1), 2012, pp. 106-122.
- Kaelble, H., "Identification with Europe and politicization of the EU since the 1980s" in European Identity, eds. J. Checkel and P.Kaztzenstein, Cambridge University Press, UK, 2009, pp. 193-212.
- Morozov, V. and B. Rumelili, "The external constitution of European identity: Russia and Turkey as Europe-makers", Cooperation and Conflict, 47 (1), 2012, pp. 28-48.
- Strath, B., "A European Identity: To the Historical Limits of a Concept", European Journal of Social Theory, 5(4), 2002, pp. 387-401