Land accessibility constraints of migrants in rural border settlements of Ogun State, Nigeria
The study examined land accessibility constraints among migrants in rural border settlements of Ogun State, Nigeria. It specifically examined dimensions, extent of importance of the constraints and their joint interactive influence on land accessibility. Data were collected through questionnaires on migrant household heads. A multi-stage sampling technique was used for the selection of 492 respondents for the study. Data collected were analysed using descriptive and inferential statistics (t-test, relative important index (RII) and correlation statistics). The study revealed that the majority of the sampled migrants were within an active and productive population (31-60 years). Also, the larger percentage of the respondents were male (64.8%), married (70%), farmers (67.2%) with no formal education (51.3%). Most of the migrants have stayed above 6 years (79.8%) in the study area. This is an indication that migrants would have detailed experience about their land accessibility constraints. Findings showed that the high cost of land was the major constraint to land accessibility and non-availability of land (scarcity) was the least constraint. The study further revealed that the high cost of land, inability to transfer land, difficulty in land transaction and insecure tenure jointly influenced migrants' access to land in the study area. The study therefore recommended the need for an efficient land administration and governance at local government level in order to accommodate the attendant needs of rural migrants in the study area.(original abstract)
- Afolayan A.A. 2010. Trans-Border Movement and Trading: A case study of a borderline in the Southwestern Nigeria. IFRA Trans-Border Studied, Occasional Publication, No 13, African Book Builders Ltd, Ibadan, Nigeria.
- Agwu K., Amasiatu O.G., Onuoha O.U. 2010. Land Rights Characteristics and Access to land: Implications on Food Security in Nigeria. "Journal of Environmental Issues and Agriculture in Developing Countries", 2, 2-3: 146-156.
- Amselle J.-L. 1985. Ethnies et espaces: pour une anthropologie topologique. [in:] Au coeur de l'ethnie: ethnies, tribalisme et état en Afrique. La Découverte, Paris: 11-48
- Badu E., Owusu-Manu D., Edwards J.D., Adesi M., Lichtenstein S. 2013. Rural Infrastructure Development in the Volta Region of Ghana: Barriers and Interventions. "Journal of Financial Management of Property and Construction", 18: 142-159
- Bello M.O. 2009. Squatter Settlement, Accessibility of Land and the Urban Poor. FIG Working Week, Eilat, Israel.
- Bennett D.A. 2009. Project Genesis: Community Assessment of a Rural Southeastern Arizona Border Community. A Project requirement for the Degree of Doctor of Nursing Practice, submitted to the Faculty of College of Nursing, The University of Arizona.
- Blum C.L. 1998. Land Tenure and Administration in Africa: Land Tenure and resource Access in Africa. IIED/FAO, London
- Boonyabancha S. 2009. Land for Housing the Poor - By the Poor: Experiences from the Baan Mankong Nationwide slum Upgrading Programme in Thailand." Environment & Urbanization", 21(2): 309-329
- Chup C.D. 2004. Analysis of agroforestry practices in the guinea savannah ecological zone: A case study of the Federal Capital Territory of Nigeria. University of Jos, Nigeria
- Cotula L., Toulmin C. and Quan J. 2006. Better Land Access for the Rural Poor. Lessons from Experience and Challenges Ahead. IIED FAO. ISBN: 1-84369-632-0
- Department for International Development (DFID) 2007. Moving out of poverty - making migration work better for poor peopl
- Drechsel P., Dongus S. 2009. Dynamics and sustainability of urban agriculture: examples from sub-Saharan Africa. "Integrated research System for Sustainability Science", 5: 69-78. DOI: 10.1007/s11625-009-0097-x
- ECOWAS-SWAC (Economic Community of West African States-Sahel and West Africa Club) 2006. Migration. Atlas on Regional Integration in West Africa
- Fadayomi T.O. 1998. Rural Development and Migration in Nigeria: Impact of the Eastern Zone of Bauchi State Agricultural Development Project. Nigeria Institute of Social and Economic Research, Ibadan, Nigeria
- Gbadegesin J.T., Heijden H., Boelhouwer P. 2016. Land Accessibility Factors in Urban Housing Provision in Nigeria Cities: Case of Lagos. "Land Market and Housing Policy", 1.11. Paper No 9
- Ghebru H., Edey H., Ali D., Deininger K., Okumo A., Woldeyohannes S. 2014. Tenure security and demand for land tenure regularization in Nigeria: Empirical evidence from Ondo and Kano State. International Food Policy Research Institute, Working Paper, 25
- Harvey B. 2008. Audit of Community Development in the cross-border region. Cross Border Centre for Community Development, Institute of Technology, Dundalk, Co Louth
- International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) 2001. The Rural Poverty Report (2001): Internal fund for Agricultural Development. Rome, Italy. http://www.ifad.org/poverty/index.htm
- International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) 2006. Housing and Urban Development, Government of Uganda Kampala
- International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) 2015. Land Tenure Security and Poverty Reduction. IFAD: Investing in rural people. Paolo di Dono, 44-00142 Rome, Italy. www.ruralpovertyportal.org
- Johnson J.W., LeBreton J.M. 2004. History and Use of Relative Importance Indices in Organizational Research. "Organizational Research Methods", 7, 238-257. DOI: 10.1177/1094428104266510
- Lasterria-Cornhiel S., Garcia F. 2009. Gender and land rights: Findings and lessons from country studies. FAO Corporate Document Repository. Retrieved from
- Mubvami T., Mushamba S., Veenhuizen R. (eds) 2003. Availability, access and usability of land for urban agriculture. Urban Agriculture Magazine, 11. RUAF, Leusden
- National Housing Policy. 1991. Federal Republic of Nigeria (FRN). Federal Government Press, Lagos
- Odudu C.O. 2015. Land accessibility among urban crop farmers in the informal sector, Lagos, Nigeria. "Ethiopian Journal of Environmental Studies and Management", 8(2): 182-195
- Odudu O.C., Omirin M.M. 2012. Evaluating the constraints affecting land access among urban crop farmers in metropolitan Lagos. "Journal of Agribusiness in Developing and Emerging Economics", 2(2): 130-146
- Odum C.O., Ibem E.O. 2011. Securing urban land for housing among low-income earners in sub-Sahara Africa: Case study of workers' cooperative society, Enugu, Nigeria. "Human Geographies. Journal of Studies & Research in Human Geography", 5.1, 61-75
- Ogun State, Central Department of Statistics, 2008
- Ogun State, Ministry of Land and Housing, 2017
- Ojiako A., Idowu O., Ogbukwa C. 2014. Determinant of loan repayment behaviour of smallholder cooperative farmers in Yewa North Local Government area of Ogun State, Nigeria. "Journal of Economic and Sustainable Development", 5, 16: 144-153
- Oladehinde G.J. 2016. Migrants accessibility to land in rural border settlements of Ogun State Nigeria. Unpublished MSc Dissertation of the Department of Urban and Regional Planning, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Nigeria
- Oladehinde G.J., Popoola K., Fatusin A., Adeyeni G. 2017. Land accessibility characteristics among migrants in Yewa North Local Government area of Ogun State, Nigeria. "Asian Research Journal of Arts & Social Sciences", 2(1): 1-12. ARJASS.30086
- Omirin M.M. 2002. Issues on land accessibility in Nigeria. Proceedings of the National Conference on Land Management and Taxation, University of Lagos, Lagos: 18-27
- Popoola K.O. 2016. Cross-Border Migrants' Integration in Rural Border Communities of South-West Nigeria. Journal of Sustainable Development Studies, 9(2): 138-152
- Udechukwu C. 2008. Obstacle to Individual Homeownership in Nigeria. "International Journal of Housing Markets and Analysis", 1, 2: 182-194
- UN-Habitat. 1996. The Habitat agenda. www.unchs.org.
- UN-Habitat. 2008. Secure Land Rights for All. GLTN contributes to the implementation of pro poor land policies to achieve secure land rights for all. www.gltn.net.
- United Nations (UN) 1994. Strategies to Implement Human Settlement Policies on use change in Mashonal and provinces. Nordiska Afrika Institute, Uppsala.
- Vélez-Guerra A. 2004. Multiple means of access to land for urban agriculture: A case study of farmers' groups in Bamako, Mali. International Development Research Centre.
- Weber A. 2012. Boundaries with issues: Soft Border Management as a Solution? Perspective. Fes Eastern Africa, Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung, Africa Department, Berlin, Germany.
- Wills N. 2010. School-based professional support. Border Community Development Agency. Retrieved from: www.voiceofnigeria.org/Bordersecub.htm.