Thai Legal Practitioners' Knowledge Management: Communications Skills, Professionalism, and Competency as the Antecedents for Success
The purpose of this research was to examine the variables contributing to Thai legal practitioners' knowledge management abilities. By means of simple random-sampling, the sample of 332 individuals was surveyed using the 72item, 7-level, Likert type agreement scale questionnaire on the study's four constructs. Confirmatory factor analysis was run prior to the structural equation model, with the analysis undertaken in LISREL 9.1. All causal factors in the model were shown to have a positive influence on knowledge management, with 92% variance of the factor affecting knowledge management (KM) (R2). Ranked in importance were communications skills (CSK), competency (COMP), and professionalism (PRO), with the total mean score of 0.96, 0.43, and 0.34, respectively(original abstract)
- Barrington, L., Casner-Lotto, J., & Wright, M. (2006). Are they really ready to work? Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/j2c5uh6
- Best, J. W., & Kahn, J. V. (2003). Research in education (9th ed.). Boston: Allyn and Bacon.
- Black, N. (2017a, June 20). ABA Survey: How lawyers communicate and collaborate with clients in 2017. Above the law. Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/y8fczf65
- Black, N. (2017b, June 15). How can law firms meet needs of 21st century legal clients?. Above the law. Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/y86sjsw6
- Boyatzis, R. E. (1982). The competent manager; A model for effective performance. New York, NY: Wiley.
- Buckler, G. (2004, April 12). Knowledge management crucial tool for law firms. The Globe and Mail. Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/y9n56ykf
- Casner-Lotto, J., & Barrington, L. (2006). Are they really ready to work? Employers' perspectives on the basic knowledge and applied skills of new entrants to the 21st Century U.S. workforce. Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/jeb85zg
- Chaimungkalanont, S. (n/d). Cross-border legal services in ASEAN under WTO: A Thai perspective. 80 - 91. Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/yasy6psd
- Chaitrong, W. (2017, September 26). Vested interests block meaningful reforms as government remains too vague: Banthoon. The Nation. Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/ybr2h2nt
- Chen, F., Curran, P. J., Bollen, K. A., Kirby, J., & Paxton, P. (2008). An empirical evaluation of the use of fixed cutoff points in RMSEA test statistic in structural equation models. Social Methods Research, 36(4), 462 - 494. doi: 10.1177/0049124108314720
- Crawford, C. B., & Strohkirch, C. S. (2006). The critical role of communication in knowledge organizations: Communication apprehension as a predictor of knowledge management functions. Journal of Knowledge Management Practice, 7(4). Retrieved from http://www.tlainc.com/articl122.htm
- Deardorff, D. K. (Ed.) (2009). The SAGE handbook of intercultural competence. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Duff, E., Shiner, M., & Boon, A., & Whyte, A. (2000). Entry into the legal professions: the law student cohort study year 6. London, UK: The Law Society.
- European Union. (2015). 2015 Joint report of the Council and the Commission on the implementation of the strategic framework for European cooperation in education and training (ET 2020). New priorities for European cooperation in education and training. (2015/C 417/04). Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/zctcbre
- Fan, Y., Chen, J., Shirkey, G., John, R., Wu, S. R., Park, H., & Shao, C. (2016). Applications of structural equation modeling (SEM) in ecological studies: an updated review. Ecological Processes, 5(19). doi: 10.1186/s13717-016-0063-3
- Flanagan, J. C. (1954). The critical incident technique. Psychological Bulletin, 51(4). Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/z8oxxub
- Francis, A. (2016). At the edge of law: Emergent and divergent models of legal professionalism. New York, NY: Routledge.
- Fukunaga, Y. (2015). Assessing the progress of ASEAN MRAs on professional services. ERIA Discussion Paper Series. Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/ydbw8nyn
- George, D., & Mallery, P. (2010). SPSS for Windows step by step: A simple guide and reference 17.0 Update (10th Ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson.
- Gipps, C., & Stobart, G. (2003). Alternative Assessment. Vol. 2. Singapore: SAGE Publications.
- Giusti, G. (2008). Soft skills for lawyers. London, UK: Chelsea Publishing.
- Gomes, J (2001) Knowledge infrastructures in new product development. In 5th International Conference on Technology Policy and Innovation, Delft, Netherlands.
- Gunashekar, R. (2017, June 22). Closing the gender divide. Asian Legal Business. Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/y9g8c3la
- Hair, J. F., Hult, G. T. M., Ringle, C. & Sarstedt, M. (2016). A primer on partial least squares structural equation modeling (PLS-SEM). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Hooper, D., Coughlan, J., & Mullen, M. (2008). Structural equation modelling : Guidelines for determining model fit. Electronic Journal of Business Research Methods, 6(1), 53 - 60. Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/zyd6od2
- Hu, L. T., & Bentler, P. M. (1999). Cutoff criteria for fit indexes in covariance structure analysis: Conventional criteria versus new alternatives. Structural Equation Modeling, 6(1), 1-55. doi: 10.1080/10705519909540118
- Jayaphorn, C. (2006). Reformation of the Thai legal system at the beginning of the 20 th century: Context and origin. Thailand Law Review, 9(2). Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/y79mttmp
- Jones, C. & Pimdee, P. (2017). Innovative ideas: Thailand 4.0 and the fourth industrial revolution. Asian International Journal of Social Sciences, 17(1), 4 - 35. https://doi.org/10.29139/aijss.20170101
- Jöreskog, K. G., Olsson, U. H., & Fan, Y. W. (2016). Multivariate analysis with LISREL. Berlin, Germany: Springer Verlag.
- Kabene, S. M., King, P., & Skaini, N. (2006). Knowledge Management in Law Firms. Journal of Information Law and Technology, 1, 1-21. Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/y88pnx4b
- Kessler, J. B. (1998). The lawyer's intercultural communication problems with clients from diverse cultures. Northwestern Journal of International Law & Business, 9(1). Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/y8fs8rbe
- Kline, R. B. (1998). Principles and practice of structural equation modeling. New York, NY: Guilford Press.
- Krairit, D-J. (n/d). ASEAN legal cross-border practice. Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/yac8td43
- Lambe, P. (2003). What does KM mean for law firms? Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/y832abb2
- Leesa-nguansuk, S. (2017, September 22). Depa predicts e-commerce to triple to B2.1tn. Bangkok Post. Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/ycr36mub
- Legal Services Commission. (2017). Professional ethics and court etiquette. Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/y73q5v9u
- Likert, R. (1972). Likert technique for attitude measurement. In W. S. Sahakian (Ed.). Social psychology: Experimentation, theory, research. Scranton, PA: Intext Educational Publishers.
- Lyman, D. & Tongmee, A. (2009, October 29). Lawyer's obligation: Confidentiality of client information in Thailand. Prepared for the New York State Bar Association International Section Seasonal Meeting in Singapore Plenary Panel D. Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/yd9hcfcy
- Mahakun, V., Buasri, U., Darasorn, K., & Chanpetpul, P. (2017). Ethics of the legal profession of Thailand. Social Science Asia, 3(1), 1-16. Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/y82nr739
- Maister, D. H. (2000). True professionalism: The courage to care about your people, your clients, and your career. New York, NY: Touchstone.
- Maister, D. H. (2003). Practice what you preach. What managers must do to create a high achievement culture. New York, NY: Free Press.
- Mansfield, B. (1989). Competence and standards. In: Competency Based Education and Training. Great Britain: The Falmer Press.
- Matveev, A. V. (2016). Intercultural competence in organizations: A guide for leaders, educators and team players. Berlin, Germany: Springer Publishing.
- McClelland, D. C. (1973). Testing for competence rather than for intelligence. American Psychologist, 28(1), 1 - 14. doi: 10.1037/h0034092
- Moore, L. (2017). The rise and rise of knowledge management. The Law Society of New South Wales. Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/y77a3rxp
- Myatt, M. (2013, March 28). The most common leadership model - And why it's broken. Forbes Magazine Online. Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/yco7s323
- National Association of Colleges and Employers. (2015). Job Outlook 2016. Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/h9773yf
- Nonaka, I. (Ed.). (2005). Knowledge management: Critical perspectives on business and management, Volume 2. New York, NY: Routledge.
- Palma, K. L. (2015). The cross-border legal practice: Thailand and the Philippines. Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/yd7hfhjn
- Porter, M. W. (1979, March). How competitive forces shape strategy. Harvard Business Review. Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/ll3nczk
- Re, E. D. (1982). The lawyer as counselor and the prevention of litigation. Catholic University Law Review, 31(4), 685 - 698. Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/yb8vd4ft
- Reeve, E. M. (2016). 21st century skills needed by students in technical and vocational education and training (TVET). Asian International Journal of Social Sciences, 16(4), 65-82. Retrieved from https://doi.org/10.29139/aijss.20160404
- Ryan, G., Spencer, L. M., & Bernhard, U. (2012). Development and validation of a customized competency-based questionnaire: Linking social, emotional, and cognitive competencies to business unit profitability. Cross Cultural Management: An International Journal, 19(1), 90-103. doi: doi: 10.1108/13527601211195646
- Sathitsuksomboon, C. (2001). Thailand's legal system: Requirements, practice, and ethical conduct. Thailand Law Forum. Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/y74vw66p
- Shannon, M. P. (2011). Cultivating the art of effective client communications. Law Practice Magazine, 7(5). Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/ya9n3h89
- Sullivan, W. M., Colby, A., Wegner, J. W., Bond, L., & Shulman, L. S. (2007). Educating lawyers: Preparation for the profession of law. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Sydney University Law Society Careers Guide (2014). Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/ychqem9b
- Tavakol, M., & Dennick, R. (2011). Making sense of Cronbach's alpha. International Journal of Medical Education, 2, 53 - 55. doi: 10.5116/ijme.4dfb.8dfd
- Thailand Lawyers Act, B.E. 2528 (1985). Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/ybb2sur2
- UCLA Statistical Consulting Group. (2016). Introduction to Mplus: Featuring confirmatory factor analysis. Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/jekut29
- Wong, K.K-K (2013). Partial least squares structural equation modeling (PLS-SEM) techniques using SmartPLS. Marketing Bulletin, 24. Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/ybw7xvr3
- Zou, S., & Fu, H. (Eds.) (2011). International marketing: Emerging markets. UK: Emerald Group Publishing. Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/jnxwjlh