Investigating Supply Chain Cooperation in Finnish Grocery Retail
This paper explores how a cooperative approach to supply chain management enhances supply chain performance under fluctuating demand and uncertainty in the grocery retail sector. The exploratory and qualitative empirical study comprises a two-echelon case study of a Finnish grocery retail supply chain focussing on a grocery wholesaler and its tier 1, small retail customers. Interviews were conducted with key respondents at both echelon levels and it was found that cooperation can be a useful and successful technique to reduce costs and improve supply chain performance in a volatile and uncertain demand context. A list of enablers and barriers for supply chain cooperation were developed to guide practitioners and there is a brief discussion of this study's implications for Poland. (original abstract)
- Alftan, A., Kaipia, R., Loikkanen, L. and Spens, K. (2015), Centralised grocery supply chain planning: improved exception management, International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, 45(3), pp. 237-259.
- AT Kearne (2016), The Global 2016 Retail Development Index, Global Retail Expansion at a Crossroads.
- Attaran, M. and Attaran, S. (2007), Collaborative supply chain management: The most promising practice for building efficient and sustainable supply chains, Business Process Management Journal, 13(3), pp. 390-404.
- Barratt, M. and Oliveira, A. (2001), Exploring the experiences of cooperative planning initiatives, International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, 31(4), pp. 266-289.
- Büyüközkan, G. and Vardaloğlu, Z. (2012), Analyzing of CPFR success factors using fuzzy cognitive maps in retail industry, Expert Systems with Applications, 39(12), pp. 10438-10455.
- Coe, N.M. (2004), The internationalisation/globalisation of retailing: towards an economic -geographical research agenda, Environment and Planning A, 36, pp. 1571-1594.
- Danese, P. (2011), Towards a contingency theory of cooperative planning initiatives in supply networks, International Journal of Production Research, 49(4), pp. 1081-1103.
- Dawson, J. and Henley, J. (2000), Internationalisation of hypermarket retailing in Poland, Journal of East-West Business, 5(4), pp. 37-52.
- Dey, I. (1993), Qualitative data analysis: A user friendly guide for social scientists, Routledge, London.
- Domański, T. (2011), Retail in Poland - New Challenges and New Strategies, European Retail Research, Springer, pp. 141-180.
- Dries, L., Reardon, T. and Swinnen, J.F. (2004), The rapid rise of supermarkets in Central and Eastern Europe: Implications for the agrifood sector and rural development, Development Policy Review, 22, pp. 525-556.
- Ehrenthal, J.C.F., Honhon, D. and van Woensel, T. (2014), Demand seasonality in retail inventory management, European Journal of Operational Research, 238(2), pp. 527-539.
- Elkady, G., Moizer, J. and Liu, S. (2014), A Decision Support Framework to Assess Grocery Retail Supply Chain Cooperation: A System Dynamics Modelling Approach, International Journal of Innovation and Technology Management, 5(4), pp. 232-238.
- Ellram, L.M. (1996), The use of the case study method in logistics research, Journal of Business Logistics, 17(2), pp. 93-138.
- Fawcett, S.E., Wallin, C., Allred, C., Fawcett, A.M. and Magnan, G.M. (2011), Information technology as an enabler of supply chain cooperation: A dynamic-capabilities perspective, Journal of Supply Chain Management, 47(1), pp. 38-59.
- Fernie, J. and Grant, D.B. (2008), On-shelf availability: The case of a UK grocery retailer, International Journal of Logistics Management, 19(3), pp. 293-308.
- Fischer, C., Hartmann, M., Reynolds, N., Leat, P., Revoredo-Giha, C., Henchion, M. and Gracia, A. (2008), Agri-food chain relationships in Europe - empirical evidence and implications for sector competitiveness, Proceedings of the 12th Congress of the European Association of Agricultural Economists (EAAE), Innsbruck, August 26-29, pp. 1-12.
- Fritz, M. and Fischer, C. (2007), The role of trust in European Food Chains: Theory and Empirical Findings, International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, 10(2), pp. 141-164.
- Grant, D.B. (2005), The transaction - relationship dichotomy in logistics and supply chain management, Supply Chain Forum: An International Journal, 6(2), pp. 38-48.
- Halldórsson, Á. and Aastrup, J. (2003), Quality criteria for qualitative inquiries in logistics, European Journal of Operational Research, 14, pp. 321-332.
- Hanf, J.H. and Pieniadz, A. (2007), Quality management in supply chain networks - the case of Poland, International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, 10(4), pp. 102-128.
- Hingley, M., Lindgreen, A., Grant, D.B. and Kane, C. (2011), Using fourth party Logistics management to improve horizontal collaboration among grocery retailers, Supply Chain Management: An International Journal, 16(5), pp. 316-327.
- Jałowiecki, P., Woźniakowski, T. and Ząbkowski, T. (2014), Some remarks on logistics investments among Polish food processing and agribusiness companies, Information Systems in Management, 3, pp. 122-133.
- Kaipia, R., Dukovska-Popovska, I. and Loikkanen, L. (2013), Creating sustainable fresh food supply chains through waste reduction, International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, 43(3), pp. 262-276.
- Kaipia, R., Korhonen, H. and Hartiala, H. (2006), Planning nervousness in a demand supply network: An empirical study, International Journal of Logistics Management, 17(1), pp. 95-113.
- Karasiewicz, G and Nowak, J. (2010), Looking bac k at the 20 years of retailing change in Poland, The International Review of Retail, Distribution and Consumer Research, 20, pp. 103-117.
- Kim, D. and Lee, R.P. (2010), Systems Cooperation and Strategic Cooperation: Their Impacts on Supply Chain Responsiveness and Market Performance, Decision Sciences, 41(4), pp. 955-981.
- Kisperska-Moron, D. and Swierczek, A. (2009), The agile capabilities of Polish companies in the supply chain: An empirical study, International Journal of Production Economics, 118, pp. 217-224.
- Kumar, G. and Banerjee, R.N. (2012), Cooperation in supply chain: An assessment of hierarchical model using partial least squares (PLS), International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management, 61(8), pp. 897-918.
- Lorentz, H., Wong, C.Y. and Hilmola, O.-P. (2007), Emerging distribution systems in central and eastern Europe: Implications from two case studies, International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, 37(8), pp. 670-697.
- Matopoulos, A., Vlachopoulou, M., Manthou, V. and Manos, B. (2007), A conceptual framework for supply chain cooperation: Empirical evidence from the agri-food industry, Supply Chain Management: An International Journal, 12(3), pp. 177-186.
- Mehta, R., Larsen, T., Rosenbloom, B., Mazur, J. and Polsa, P. (2001), Leadership and cooperation in marketing channels: A comparative empirical analysis of the USA, Finland and Poland, International Marketing Review, 18(6), pp. 633-666.
- Michalak, W. (2001), Retail in Poland: An assessment of changing market and foreign investment conditions, Canadian Journal of Regional Science, 24, pp. 485-504.
- Páll, Z. and Hanf, J.H. (2013), A multi-perspective analy sis of food retail internationalization-insights from foreign retailers on the development of the Hungarian and Eastern European markets, Management and Marketing, 8, p. 593.
- Panahifar, F., Byrne, P. and Heavey, C. (2014), ISM analysis of CPFR implementation barriers, International Journal of Production Research, 50(18), pp. 5255-5272.
- Patton, M.Q. (2002), Qualitative research and evaluation methods (3rd ed.), Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks.
- Piotrowicz, W. (2015), Information technology and systems in the Visegrád group of countries (Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, and Slovakia): A literature review, Journal of Global Information Technology Management, 18(2), pp. 77-93.
- Ralston, P.M., Richey, G.R. and Grawe, S.J. (2017), The past and future of supply chain collaboration: A literature synthesis, International Journal of Logistics Management, 28(2), pp. 508-530.
- Reysowski, M. (2008), Food retailing transformation in Poland in years 1990-2006, International Journal of Emerging and Transition Economics, 1(1), pp. 77-91.
- Simatupang, T.M. and Sridharan, R. (2005), An integrative framework for supply chain cooperation, International Journal of Logistics Management, 16(2), pp. 257-274.
- Skjoett-Larsen, T., Thernøe, C. and Andresen, C. (2003), Supply chain cooperation: Theoretical perspectives and empirical evidence, International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, 33(6), pp. 531-549.
- Soosay, C.A. and Hyland, P. (2015), A decade of supply chain cooperation and directions for future research, Supply Chain Management: An International Journal, 20(6), pp. 613-630.
- Taylor, D.H. and Fearne, A. (2009), Demand management in fresh food value chains: A framework for analysis and improvement, Supply Chain Management: An International Journal, 14(5), pp. 379-392.
- Trautrims, A., Grant, D.B. and Wong, C.Y. (2012), The interaction of human resources and managerial systems as they affect in-store replenishment operations, Supply Chain Forum: An International Journal, 13(2), pp. 56-66.
- Van Hoek, R.I., Harrison, A. and Christopher, M. (2001), Measuring agile capabilities in the supply chain, International Journal of Operations and Production Management, 21(1-2), pp. 126-147.
- Waters, C.D.J. (1999), Changing role of the retail sector in Poland during a period of economic transition, International Journal of Retail and Distribution Management, 27(8), pp. 319-327.
- Yin, R.K. (2009), Case Study Research: Design and Methods (4th ed.), Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks.