The Perceptions of Management on the Benefits of Adopting an Environmental Management Accounting System as a Waste Management Tool
The purpose of this paper is to ascertain the perception of management on the benefits of adopting an environmental management accounting (EMA) system as a waste management tool in a paper and pulp manufacturing company. This paper highlights the benefits of an EMA system and the role and importance of EMA as a decision-making tool in encouraging the adoption of cleaner production (CP) techniques and technologies. This research was based on a case study of a paper and pulp manufacturing company in KwaZulu-Natal. This research was both quantitative and qualitative in nature. Data collection instruments for the study included a Likert-type questionnaire and interviews with the environmental manager and cost accountant but the findings reported in this paper are based on the empirical evidence gathered from the questionnaire which identified that there was positive correlation between environmental performance and CP techniques and technologies. Environmental costs were hidden under general overheads and understated because the company was using a conventional costing system and not an EMA system; hence, environmental costs were not traced back to the products or processes responsible for those costs. It was evident from the qualitative data analysis that management regarded their environmental costs as too insignificant to justify implementation of an EMA system. The consequent reluctance of the company to adopt CP resulted in poor waste management and lower-quality environmental performance. (original abstract)
- Acemoglu, D., Akcigit, U., Hanley, D. and Kerr, W., 2014. Transition to clean technology. National Bureau of Economic Research. Available at: http://www.nber.org/papers/w20743.
- Ambe, M.C., 2007. Environmental Management Accounting in South Africa: Status, challenges and implementation framework. D. Tech dissertation. Tshwane University of Technology.
- Andrews, R., Pearce, J.M., 2011. Environmental and economic assessment of a greenhouse waste heat exchange. Journal of Cleaner Production, 19, pp.1446-1454.
- Baas, L., 2000. Integrated Environmental and Economic Performance Assessments for Strategic Planning and Policy Analysis in Paper Manufacturing. Journal of Cleaner Production, 15, pp.1205-1216.
- Bennett, M. Schaltegger, S., Zvezdov, D., 2013. Exploring Corporate Practices in Management Accounting for Sustainability [online], 1-56. Available at: http://www.icaew.com/academic.
- Bennett, M., Schaltegger, S., Zvezdov, D., 2011. Environmental management accounting [In:] M. G. Abdel-Kader (ed.), Review of Management Accounting Research, (pp.53-84) New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Bras, B., Realff, M., Carmichael, C.I., 2004. Integrated Environmental and Economic Performance Assessment for strategic Planning and Policy analysis in paper manufacturing. Final Project Report to CPBIS.
- Burritt, R.L., Herzig, C., Tadeo, B.D., 2009. Environmental management accounting for cleaner production: the case of a Philippine rice mill. Journal of Cleaner Production, 17 (4), pp.431-439.
- Christ, L. K., Burritt, R.L., 2013. Environmental management accounting: the significance of contingent variables for adoption. Journal of Cleaner Production, 41, pp.163-173 [online]. Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/271892767. DOI:10.1016/j.jclepro.2012.10007 (Accessed 6 April 2016).
- Delano, R., 2013. Valued platform to illustrate impact and profitability of RECP program. Cleaner Production Conference (online). Available at: http://www.energyforecastonline.co.za/articles/cleaner-production-conference (Accessed 1 August 2013).
- DePalma, R., Csutora, M., 2003. Introducing Environmental Management Accounting at Enterprise Level-Methodology and Case Studies from Central and Eastern Europe. Retrieved from: http://unipub.lib.uni-corvinus.hu /223/1/Robertacsutora.pdf (Accessed 10 February 2016).
- Despeisse, M., Oates, R.M., Ball, D.P., 2013. Sustainable manufacturing tactics and crossfunctional factory modelling. Journal of Cleaner Production, 42, pp.31-41, [online] Available at: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/ (Accessed 21 June 2013).
- Ferreira, A., Moulang, C., Hendro, B., 2010. Environmental management accounting and innovation: an exploratory analysis. Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, 23 (7), pp.920-948.
- Fore, S., Mbohwa, G.T., 2010. Cleaner production for environmental conscious manufacturing in the foundry industry. Journal of Engineering Design Technology 8(3), pp.314-333, [online]. Available at: http://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/abs/10.1108/17260531011086180 (Accessed 6 April 2016).
- Frondel, M., Horbach, J., Rennings, K., 2004. End-of-Pipe or Cleaner Production? An Empirical Comparison of Environmental Innovation Decisions Across OECD Countries. ZEW Discussion papers, No. 04-82, [online] Available at: http://hdl.handle.net/10419/24090 (Accessed 9 September 2013).
- Ghorbannezhad, P., Azizi, M., Layeghi, M., 2009. A strategic model for cleaner production implementation in a paper making mill [in:] Proceeding of the 10th international symposium on the analytic hierarchy/network process, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh. Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Payam_Ghorbannezhad/publication/228411983_A_Strategic_Model_for_Cleaner_Production_Implementation_In_a_Paper_Making_Mill/links/544399ea0cf2a76a3ccc5b4f.pdf
- Godschalk, S., 2008. Does Corporate Environmental Accounting Make Business Sense. Ecoefficiency in Industry and Science. 24, 249-265.
- Industrial Resources Council, 2013. Promoting sustainable use of industrial materials. 2013. Pulp and Paper industry material [online]. Available: http://industrialresourcescouncil.org/materials/pulpandpaperindustrymaterials/tabid/368/Default.aspx (Accessed 10 July 2013).
- Jasch, C., Schnitzer, H., 2002. Environmental Management Accounting. How to profit from environmental protection. EMA- environmental management accounting pilot testing. Available: http://www.ioew.at/ioew/download/ema-theoryenglish.pdf
- Jasch, C., 2009. Environmental and Material Flow Cost Accounting Principles and Proce dures (Eco-Efficiency in Industry and Science Series, Vol 25). Dordrecht: Springer.
- Jonäll, P., 2008. Environmental Management Accounting (EMA), Management Accounting including Environmental Management - a literature review. Master's thesis. University of Goteborg. Available https://gupea.ub.gu.se/bitstream/2077/9542/1/07-08-31M.pdf
- Lakhani, M., 2007. The need for Clean Production and Product Re-design. Journal of Cleaner Production, 15 (13), pp.1391-1394.
- Liu, T. Z-C., Zhang, H. C., Jiang, Q.H., 2013. Environmental emissions and energy consumption assessment of a diesel engine from the lifecycle perspective. Journal of Cleaner Production, 53, pp.7-12.
- Mendes, L., 2012. Clean Technologies and Environmental Management: A Study on a Small Diary Industry in Brazil. Resources and Environment, 2(3), 100-106, [online]. Available at: http://journal.sapub.org/re [Accessed 5 July 2013].
- Mousavi, M.M.S., Hosselini, Z.S., Resalati, H., Mahdavi, S., Garmaroody, E.R., 2013. Papermaking potential of rapeseed straw, a new agricultural-based fibre source. Journal of Cleaner Production 52, pp.420-424.
- Pandey, A.K., 2007. Identification and Assessment of Cleaner Production technologies and appropriate technology management strategies and methods in the South African vehicle industry. Master's thesis (Technology Management). University of Pretoria.
- Pandey, A.K., Brent, A.C., 2008. Application of technology management strategies and methods to identify and assess cleaner production options: cases in the South African Automotive industry. South African Journal of Industrial Engineering, 19(2), pp.171-182.
- Persson, J., Berntsson, T., 2010. Influence of short-term variations on energy-saving opportunities in a pulp mill. Journal of Cleaner Production, 18, pp.9335-9343.
- Pons, M., Bikfalvi, A., Llach, J., Palcic, I., 2013. Exploring the impact of energy efficiency technologies on manufacturing firm performance. Journal of Cleaner Production, 52, pp.134-144, [online] Available at: http://elsevier.com/locate/jclepro (Accessed 1 June 2013).
- Qian, W., Burritt, R., 2008. The Development of Environmental Management Accounting: An Institutional View. In: S. Schaltegger, M. Bennett, R. Burritt, and C. Jasch. (eds.) Environmental Management Accounting for Cleaner Production. Springer Netherlands, pp.233-248. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4020-8913-8_12.
- Radonjič, G., Tominc, P., 2007. The role of environmental management system on introduction of new technologies in the metal and chemical/paper/plastics industries. Journal of Cleaner Production, 15 (15), pp.1482-1493.
- Schaltegger, S., Bennett, M., Burritt, R.L., Jasch, C., 2010. Eco-efficiency in industry and science. Environmental Management Accounting for Cleaner Production (5th ed.). Springer Science and Business Media. UK.
- South Africam, 2004. National Cleaner Production Strategy. Draft 2. Pretoria: Government printer [online] Available at: https://www.unido.org/fileadmin/user-mediaupgrade (Accessed 6 April 2016).
- South African National Cleaner Production Centre, 2013. Case study in good organization management and governance practices [online]. Available at: http://unido.org/cp [Accessed 1 August 2013].
- Stringer, L., 2010. The Green Workplace- Sustainable strategies that benefit employees, the environment, and the bottom line. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- United Nations Industrial Development Organization, 2013. Environmental Strategies (online). Available: http://www.unido.org/en/what-wedo/environment.
- Ván, H., 2012. Environmental benefits and its statement in Environmental Management Accounting. Ph.D thesis. University of Szeged.
- Willemse, I., 2009. Statistical Methods and Calculation Skills. Cape Town: Juta & Co.
- Yin, R.K., 2009. Case Study Research Design and Methods (4th ed.). London: Sage.
- Zikmund, G.W., 2004. Business Research Methods (7th ed.). Mason OH: Thomson South-Western.