Using Material Flow Cost Accounting (MFCA) to Identify Benefits of Eco-Efficiency and Cleaner Production in a Paper and Pulp Manufacturing Organization
The aim of this study is to use material flow cost accounting (MFCA) to assess the level at which cleaner production (CP) can improve both environmental and economic performance of an organization. Higher energy and raw material prices are causing CP to grow in relevance and importance. The amount of waste to landfill is increasing steadily. Most companies are using inefficient processes and technologies that are obsolete resulting in higher production costs, which, in turn, affect their profitability and competitiveness. This study was a case study based on a paper manufacturing company using an exploratory qualitative and quantitative research methodology. The MFCA approach was used to assess the efficiency of the steam production process using coal-fired boilers. The results indicated that the process was inefficient resulting in significant negative environmental and economic impact. Environmental costs were hugely underestimated by management, as non-product output costs were not included as part of environmental costs calculated by company. Benefits and barriers to CP was also brought to the forefront at the conclusion of this research. (original abstract)
- Academy of Science of South Africa (ASSAF), 2011. Technological innovations for a low carbon society conference (online). Available: http://www.assaf.co.za.
- Acemoglu, D., Akcigit, U., Hanley, D., Kerr, W., 2012. Transition to Clean Technology.
- Ambe, M. C., 2007. Environmental Management Accounting in South Africa. Status, challenges and implementation framework. D. Tech. Tshwane University of Technology.
- Baas, L., 2007. Integrated Environmental and Economic Performance Assessments for Strategic Planning and Policy Analysis in Paper Manufacturing. Journal of Cleaner Production, 15:1205-1216.
- Bartolomeo, M., Bennett, M., Bouma, J.J, Heydkamp, P., James, P., Wolters, T., 2001. Environmental management accounting in Europe: current practice and future potential. European Accounting Review, 9 (1):31-52.
- Bennett, M., Schaltegger, S., Zvezdov, D., 2011. Environmental management accounting. Review of Management Accounting Research, S: 53-84.
- Bosworth, M., Hummelsmose, B., Christiansen, K., 2001. Cleaner Production Assessment in Dairy Processing. Denmark: COWI Consulting Engineers and Planners AS.
- Bras, B., Realff, M., Carmichael, C., 2004. Integrated Environment and Economic Performance Assessment for Strategic Planning and Policy Analysis in Paper Manufacturing. CPBIS project - B-4: 5-7, final project report to CPBIS.
- Burritt, R.L., Herzig, C., Tadeo, B.D., 2009. Environmental Management Accounting for Cleaner Production: the case of a Philippine rice mill. Journal of Cleaner Production, 17:431-439.
- Chang, H-C., 2007. Environmental Management Accounting Within Universities: Current State and Future Potential. Thesis. Degree of Doctor of Philosophy. School of Accounting and Law. RMIT Business and RMIT University.
- Christ, L.K., Burritt, R.L., 2013. Environmental management accounting: the significance of contingent variables for adoption. Journal of Cleaner Production, 41:163-173 (online). Available: http://elsevier.com/locate/jelepro
- Delana, R., 2013. Valued platform to illustrate impact and profitability of RECP program. Cleaner Production Conference (online). Available: http://www.energyforecastonline.co.za/articles/cleaner-production-conference
- Despeisse, M., Oates, R.M., Ball, D.P., 2013. Sustainable manufacturing tactics and crossfunctional factory modelling. Journal of Cleaner Production (online), 42, pp.31-41. Available: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science /article/
- Doorasamy, M., 2014. Using Environmental Management Accounting to identify benefits of Cleaner Production in KwaZulu-Natal: A case study. Masters Dissertation. Durban University of Technology.
- Dvarionienė, J., Kruopienė, J., Stankevičienė, J., 2012. Application of cleaner technologies in milk processing industry to improve the environmental efficiency. Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy, 14 (6): 1037-1045.
- Environmental Strategies (online), 2013. Available: http://www.unido.org/en/what-we-do/environment
- Ferreira, A., Moulang, C., Hendro, B., 2010. Environmental management accounting and innovation: an exploratory analysis. Accounting, Auditing &Accountability Journal, 23 (7): 920-948.
- Foelkel, C., 2008. Eco-efficiency and cleaner production for the eucalyptus pulp and paper industry (online). Available: http://eucalyptuscom.br
- Fore, S., Mbohwa, G.T., 2010. Cleaner production for environmental conscious manufacturing in the foundry industry. Journal of Engineering Design Technology 8(3):314-333 (online). Available http://dutlib.dut.ac.za:2057/docview/1012253156
- Frondel, M., Horbach, J., Rennings, K., 2004. End-of-Pipe or Cleaner Production? An Empirical Comparison of Environmental Innovation Decisions Across OECD Countries. ZEW Discussion papers, No. 04-82 (online). Available: http://hdl.handle.net/10419/24090
- Hyrslova', J., Vagner, M., Palasek, J., 2011. Material Flow Cost Accounting (MFCA)- Tool For The Optimization of Corporate Production Processes. Business, Management and Education 9(1): 5-18.
- Jasch, C., 2009. Environmental and Material Flow Cost Accounting Principles and Procedures (Eco-Efficiency in Industry and Science Series, vol. 25). Journal of Industrial Ecology. Springer science and Business Media: Berlin (pp.832-834).
- John Thompson information/reviews, 2009. Available online: http://www.jobvine.co.za/insight/company/johnthompson
- Jonall, P., 2008. Environmental Management Accounting (EMA), Management Accounting including Environmental Management: 2.
- Mendes, L., 2012. Clean Technologies and Environmental Management: A Study on a Small Diary Industry in Brazil. Resources and Environment, 2(3):100-106 (online). Available: http://journal.sapub.org/re
- Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry of Japan (METI). 2010. Environmental Management Accounting: MFCA Case Examples; METI: Tokyo, Japan.
- Mohr-Swart, M., 2008. An Environmental Management Accounting Model for the South African Mining Industry. Doctor of Technology in the Department of Environmental, Water and Earth Sciences, Tshwane University of Technology.
- Mousavi, M.M.S., Hosselini, Z.S., Resalati, H., Mahdavi, S., Garmaroody, E.R., 2013. Papermaking potential of rapeseed straw, a new agricultural-based fibre source. Journal of Cleaner Production 52:420-424.
- Pandey, A.K., 2007. Identification and Assessment of Cleaner Production technologies and appropriate technology management strategies and methods in the South African vehicle industry. Masters of Engineering (Technology Management). University of Pretoria.
- Pandey, A.K., Brent, A.C., 2008. Application of technology management strategies and methods to identify and assess cleaner production options: cases in the South African Automotive industry. South African Journal of Industrial Engineering, 19(2), pp.171-182.
- Peres, I., Domil, A.E., Pere, S.C., 2010. Capturing environmental costs by using activity based costing method. Anale. Seria Stiinte Economice, pp.719-726.
- Pons, M., Bikfalvi, A., Llach, J., Palcic, I., 2013. Exploring the impact of energy efficiency technologies on manufacturing firm performance. Journal of Cleaner Production (online), 52:134-144. Available: http://elsevier.com/locate/jclepro
- Promoting sustainable use of industrial materials. 2013. Pulp and Paper industry material (online). Available: http://industrialresourcescouncilorg/material/pulpandpaperindustrymaterials/t
- Qian, W. and Burritt, R., 2008. The Development of Environmental Management Accounting: An Institutional View. In: Schaltegger, S., Bennett, M., Burritt, R. and Jasch, C. eds. Environmental Management Accounting for Cleaner Production. Springer Netherlands, 233-248. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4020-8913-8_12.
- Scavone, G.M., 2006. Challenges in internal environmental management reporting in Argentina. Journal of Cleaner Production (online), 14:1276-1285. Available: http://www.sciencedirect.com
- Schaltegger, S., Csutora, M., 2012. Carbon accounting for sustainability and management. Status quo and challenges. Journal of Cleaner Production, 36:1-16.
- Schaltegger, S., Bennett, M., Burritt, R.L., Jasch, C., 2010. Eco-efficiency in industry and science. Environmental Management Accounting for Cleaner Production. 5th edition. Springer Science and Business Media. UK.
- Schmidt, M., 2012. Material Flow Cost Accounting in the production industry. Industrial Ecology Management, pp.241-255.
- Schmidt, M., Nakajima, M., 2013. Material Flow Cost Accounting as an approach to improve resource efficiency in manufacturing companies. Resources (online), 2:358-369. Available: http://www.mdpi.com/journal/resources
- Sheldon, R.W., 2001. Process to improve boiler operation by supplemental firing with thermally beneficiated low rank coal. US Patent, 6325001B.
- Sinclair-Desgagne, B., 2004. Corporate Strategies for Managing Environmental Risk. The International Library of Environmental Economics and Policy xx:1-7. Scientific Series 2004s-43, Montreal.
- South African National Cleaner Production centre, 2013. Case study in good organization management and governance practices (online). Available http://unido.org/cp
- Staniskis, J.K., Stasiskiene, Z., 2013. Environmental management accounting in Lithuania: exploratory study of current practices, possibilities and strategic intents. Workshop - Environ mental management accounting: Towards an internationally validated procedure.
- Struwig, F.W., Stead, G.B., 2013. Research: Planning, Designing and Reporting. Second Edition. Pearson Education South Africa (Pty) Ltd
- Sygulla, R., Bierer, A., Gotze, U., 2011. Material Flow Cost Accounting - Proposals for Improving the Evaluation of Monetary Effects of Resource Savings Process Designs. 44th Conference on Manufacturing Systems. Wisconsin, USA. Available online URL:https://tu-chemnitz.de/wirtschaft/bwl3/DownloadAllgemeinOffen/44thCIRP_MFCA.pdf (Accessed 3 September 2013).
- V`an, H., 2012. Environmental benefits and its statement in Environmental Management Accounting. Ph.D. University of Szeged.
- Žarković, D.B., Rajaković-Ognjanović, V.N., Rajaković, L.V., 2011. Conservation of resources in the pulp and paper industry derived from cleaner production approach. Resources, Conservation & Recycling, 55 (12): 1139-1145.
- Zikmund, G.W., 2004. Business Research Methods. 7th edition. United States of America. Thomson South-Western.