Eco-innovative Activity of Ukrainian SMEs
The study attempts to investigate the eco-innovative activity of Ukrainian enterprises according to their size (small, medium, and large) with special focus on SMEs as the predominant group of enterprises, which ensure the innovative development of the whole national economy, and is central to the efforts to achieve environmental sustainability and green growth. The empirical analysis is based on a questionnaire survey of 254 Ukrainian enterprises of different sizes; the survey presents data on their current state and foreign trade activity, opportunities and barriers for the implementation of technological innovations and eco-innovations. The relationships between the export and ecoinnovative activities is also explored. The analysis showed that SMEs are less eco-innovative in comparison with large enterprises, have fewer numbers of exporters than large firms, but exporters are more eco-innovative than non-exporters. Also, the size of the Eco-innovation Index for Ukraine was calculated. Based on the obtained results, Ukraine is an economy with a low level of ecoinnovativeness, so, the study is extremely important. (original abstract)
- Aschhoff, B., Baier, E., Crass, D., Hud, M., Hunermund, P., Kuhler, Ch., Peters, B., Rammer, Ch., Schricke, E., Schubert, T., Schwiebacher, F. (2013). Innovation in Germany - Results of the German CIS 2006 to 2010. Report to the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF), Mannheim and Karlsruhe, 313 p.
- Cuerva, M.C., Triguero-Cano, A., Corcoles, D. (2014). Drivers of green and non-green innovation: empirical evidence in Low-Tech SMEs. Journal of Cleaner Production, 68, 104-113.
- Economic Code of Ukraine. Accessed from: http://zakon5.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/436-15/print1443702953510543 (In Ukrainian).
- Enhancing the Contributions of SMEs in a Global and Digitalised Economy (2017). OECD, Meeting of the OECD Council at Ministerial Level, Paris, 7-8 June, 24. Accessed from: https://www.oecd.org/mcm/documents/CMIN-2017-8-EN.pdf.
- Environmental Performance Index. (2016). Accessed from: http://epi.yale.edu/data.
- Galliano, D., Nadel, S. (2013). Les déterminants de l'adoption de l'éco-innovation selon le profil stratégique de la firme: le cas des firmes industrielles françaises, Revue d'économie industrielle, 142,(2), 77-110.
- Hrabynskyi, I., Horin, N., Ukrayinets, L. (2017 A). Barriers and Drivers to Eco-innovation: Comparative Analysis of Germany, Poland and Ukraine. Economic and Managerial Spectrum, 11(1), 13-24.
- Hrabynskyi, I., Horin, N., Ukrayinets, L. (2017 B). Logit and Probit Analysis of Export Behaviour and Eco-Innovation Activity of Enterprises under Globalization: Evidence From Ukraine, Globalization and its Socio-Economic Consequences, Proceedings of the 15th International Scientific Conference, Zilina, vol. 1.
- Jaffe, A.B., Newell, R.G., Stavins, R.N. (2005). A tale of two market failures: Technology and environment policy. Ecological Economics, 54, 164-174.
- Kemp, R. (2011). Ten themes for eco-innovation policies in Europe. Survays and Perspectives Integrating Environment and Society, 4(2). Accessed from: https://sapiens.revues.org/1169.
- Pokryshka, S. (2016). Development of export potential of small and medium enterprises as a factor of compensation of loss of traditional foreign markets. Strategic Priorities. Series Economics, 57. Accessed from: http://www.niss.gov.ua/content/articles/files/eksportniy_potensial-69e44.pdf (In Ukrainian)
- Rennings, K. (2000). Redefining innovation - Eco-innovation research and the contribution from ecological economics. Ecological Economics, 32, 319-322.
- Rennings, K., Ziegler, A., Zwick, T. (2003). Employment Changes in Environmentally Innovative Firms. Discussion Paper N01-46. Centre for European Economic Research. Accessed from: ftp://ftp.zew.de/pub/zew-docs/dp/dp0146.pdf.
- Ryzhenkov, M. (2015). What prevents exports of Ukrainian enterprises: the point of view of business. Accessed from: www.ier.com.ua/files//Public_events/Expoert_ryzhenkov.pptx (In Ukrainian).
- Scientific and Innovative Activity of Ukraine (2016). Statistical Collection. State Statistics Service of Ukraine, Kyiv, 257 p. (In Ukrainian).
- The Eco-Innovation Scoreboard and the Eco-innovation Index. (2016). Accessed from: http://ec.europa.eu/environment/ecoap/scoreboard_en.
- The official site of the State Statistics Service of Ukraine. Accessed from: http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua/.
- Triguero, A., Moreno-Mondéjar, L., Davia, M.A. (2013). Drivers of different types of eco-innovation in European SMEs. Ecological Economics, 92, 25-33.
- Ukraine 2013 Enterprise Surveys. (2013). Accessed from: http://www.enterprisesurveys.org/data/ exploreeconomies/2013/ukraine.
- Voicu-Dorobantu, R., Paraschiv, D.M., Marinoiu, A.M. (2011). Eco-innovation in Romanian SMEs. Recent Researches in Applied Economics, 1, 186-190.