The Theory of Defense of One's Own Position : Self-Esteem and Conscience-The Ideologies of Privileged Groups
Data obtained from a country in which large-scale Industries are owned by the government and political power is in the hands of the Communist party suggested the modification and generalization of the previously established hypothesis concerning the relationship between high socio-economic position and more favorable attitudes toward unlimited private property rights. The more general theory was thus presented. I have tried to show that this theory can account for some of the findings established in seemingly different branches of sociology and can foretell certain patterns of description, explanation, evaluation, and prediction that seem to be characteristic of the way of thinking of many privileged groups. Some of these patterns were briefly presented. (fragment of text)
- J. A. Kahl, The American Class Structure. New York: Rinehart, 1957;
- B. Barber, Social Stratification. New York: Warcourt-Brace, 1957;
- M.M. Gordon, Social Class in American Sociology. Durham: Duke University Press, 1958.
- A. Kornhauser, "Public Opinion and Social Class," American Journal of Sociology, 55 (1950), p. 334,
- S. M. Lipset, P. F. Lazarsfeld, A. Barton and J. Linz, "The Psychology of Voting," in G. Lidzey (ed.), Handbook of Social Psychology, Vol. II. Cambridge: Addison Wesley, 1954;
- H. Cantril (ed.), Public Opinion 1935-1946. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1951, p. 350-351
- M. King, "The Minority Course," Am. Soc. Review, 21 (1956), pp. 80-83.
- H. Speier, "The American Soldier and the Sociology of Military Organization," in R. K. Merton and P. F. Lazarsfeld (eds.), Continuities in Social Research. Glencoe: The Free Press, 1950.
- R. K. Merton, Social Theory and Social Structure. Glencoe, III.: The Free Press, 1957
- H. L. Zetterberg, "Compliant Actions," Acta Sociologica, Vol. 2, Copenhagen, 1957, pp. 180-183.
- S. S. Stouffer et al., The American Soldier, Vol. 1. Princeton University Press, 1949, p. 511.
- J. Dollard, Castle and Class in a Southern Town. New York: Doubleday, 1957, pp. 368-373
- G. Myradal, An American Dilemma. New York: Harper, 1944.
- R. Bendix, Work and Authority in Industry. New York: J. Wiley, 1959, p. 367.
- R. Centers. The Psychology of Social Classes. Princeton Univ. Press, 1949, p. 147.
- W. G. Allport, The Nature of Prejudice. Cambridge, Mass.: Addison Wesley, 1954, p. 210.
- A. Kornhauser, "Analysis of 'Class' Structure of Contemporary American Society," in G. W. Hartman and T. Newcomb (ed.), Industrial Conflict. New York: Cordon, 1939;
- H. J. Eyesnck, "Social Attitude and Social Class," British Journ. Of Soc., Vol. LV (1950), pp. 55-66