Empowering Roma People in Europe: Council of Europe's Programs on Roma Mediation
This paper discusses European attempts at Roma integration, focusing on the Council of Europe (CoE) and its Roma-Mediation (ROMED) programs (both I and II) that use the tools of empowerment and cultural mediation on the local level to promote Roma participation in the decisionmaking process. The aim is to provide an overview of the emergence of Roma integration policies designed and implemented to fight the exclusion many Roma face across Europe and to situate CoE's ROMED among recent developments. The paper is based on the literature that highlights Roma exclusion, on reviewing policy documents from international and European organizations and non-governmental bodies, and finally, on specific program publications.(original abstract)
- Calin, R., Raykova, A. and C. Leucht, ROMED 2: Guidelines and resources for National and Local Facilitators, Strasbourg: Council of Europe Publications, 2016.
- Catarci, M., 'Intercultural Mediation as a strategy to facilitate relations between the School and Immigrant Families! Revista Electrónica Interuni- versitaria de Formación del Profesorado, vol. 19, no. 1, 2016, pp. 127-140.
- Commissioner for Human Rights, Human rights of Roma and Travellers in Europe, Strasbourg: Council of Europe Publications, 2012.
- Council of Europe, http://www.coe.int/en/web/portal/-/promoting-good-governance-and-roma-empowerment-at-local-level [2017-07-09].
- Council of Europe, http://www.coe.int/ en/web/portal/roma [2017-08-20].
- Council of Europe, The situation of Roma and Travellers in the context of rising extremism, xenophobia and the refugee crisis in Europe, resolution 403(2016).
- Crowe, D., A History of the Gypsies of Eastern Europe and Russia, New York: St. Martin's Press, 2007.
- Crowe, D. and J. Kolsti (eds), The Gypsies of Eastern Europe, London: Rout- ledge, 1991.
- European Commission, Assessing the implementation of the EUframework, 27 June 2016, https://ec.europa.eu/transparency/regdoc/rep/i/2oi6/EN/i- 2016-424-EN-F1-1.PDF [2017-09-18].
- European Parliament, Resolution of 9 March 2011 on the EU strategy on Roma inclusion (2010/2276(^1)).
- European Parliament, Resolution of 12 December 2013 on the progress made in the implementation of the National Roma Integration Strategies (2013/2924(RSP)).
- Fesus, G. et al., 'Policies to improve the health and well-being of Roma people: The European experience! Health Policy, vol. 105, 2012, pp. 25-32.
- Fundamental Rights Agency, Fundamental Rights Report, 2017, Luxembourg: Publications Office of the European Union, 2017.
- Fundamental Rights Agency, Poverty and Employment: the situation of Roma in 11 EU Member States, Luxembourg: Publications Office of the European Union, 2014.
- Guy, W. (ed), Between past and future. The Roma of Central and Eastern Europe, Hertfordshire: University of Hertfordshire Press, 2001.
- Liégeois, J-., Developments in mediation, currant challenges and the role of ROMED, Strasbourg: Council of Europe Publications, 2012.
- Lowndes, V. and L. Pratchett, 'Designing Democratic Institutions for Decentered Governance: The Council of Europe's Acquis! in: S. Griggs, A.J. Norval and H. Wagenaar (eds), Practices of Freedom, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2014, pp. 85-107.
- Penasa, S., 'From Protection to Empowerment through Participation: The Case of Trentino-a Laboratory for Small Groups! Journal on Ethnopolitics and Minority Issues in Europe, vol. 13, no. 2, 2014, pp. 3-53.
- Phelan, M. and M. Mayte, 'Interpreters and cultural mediators-different but complementary roles! Translocations, vol. 6, no. 1, 2010.
- Prina, F., 'Introduction-National Minorities between Protection and Em-powerment! Journal on Ethnopolitics and Minority Issues in Europe, vol. 13, no. 2, 2014, pp. 1-10.
- Rus, C., Raykova, A. and C. Leucht, ROMED Trainer's Handbook, Strasbourg: Council of Europe Publishing, 2011.
- Schaefer-Rolffs, A., 'Minority Politics in Practice: Protection and Empowerment in Danish-German Border Region', Journal on Ethnopolitics and Minority Issues in Europe, vol. 13, no. 2, 2014, pp. 80-103.
- World Health Organization, Roma health mediation in Romania, Denmark: World Health Organisation, 2013.
- Yuval-Davis, N., Wemyss, G. and K. Cassidy, 'Introduction! Ethnic and Racial Studies, vol. 40, no. 7, 2017, pp. 1047-1057.