The Experience and Aceptance of Mobbing and Negative Workplace Behaviours in Poland and Spain - Comparative Study Results
This paper presents results of a quantitative study conducted on two matching samples of administrative employees in Poland (N=149) and Spain (N=148) in the year 2014. The research aimed to compare the prevalence of mobbing, different mobbing styles and particular negative workplace behaviours' experience and acceptance. The original psychometric instrument for diagnosing mobbing, the SDM Questionnaire (and a Spanish version of the tool) was used in the study. The instrument had been standardized, validated and provided consistent and reliable results. It consists of 2 main scales:a scale of mobbing behaviours (43 items; α Cronbach: 0.96) and a scale of emotional reactions (21 items; α Cronbach: 0.97). The mobbing behaviour scale is built of three subscales (the result of factor analysis), each of high reliability (α Cronbach: 0.927; 0.932; 0.803). Moreover,a 43-item scale of negative workplace behaviours' acceptance (constructed on the bases of the SDM-IDM scale items) was implemented in the study. The obtained results are indicative of prevailing similarities between the researched samples in reference to the experienced mobbing types and prevalence. Nevertheless, some interesting differences between the countries were also found in reference to experiencing and accepting particular negative workplace behaviours. (original abstract)
- Arenas A., Giorgi G., Montani F., Mancuso S., Perez J.F., Mucci N. & Giulio A. (2015), Workplace bullying ina sample of Italian and Spanish Employees and its relationship with job satisfaction and psychological well-being, "Frontiers in Psychology", No. 6.
- Brodsky C. (1976), The Harassed Worker, D.C. Heath and Company, Lexington.
- Björkqvist K., Österman K. , Hjelt-Bäck M. (1994), Aggression among university employees, "Aggressive Behavior", No. 20.
- Chappell D., Di Martino V. (2006), Violence at work, 3rd edition, International Labor Organization, Geneva.
- Durniat K., Kulczycka A. (2006), Operacjonalizacja mobbinguw kontekście badań międzykulturowych, Prace Naukowe Akademii Ekonomicznej, nr 1132.
- Durniat K. (2010), Mobbing as psychopathology and pathology of organization, "Polish Journal of Applied Psychology", Vol. 8, No. 2.
- Durniat K. (2012), Możliwości i ograniczenia diagnozowania mobbingu w miejscu pracy, na przykładzie badania mobbingu w miejscu pracy, "Czasopismo Psychologiczne", Vol. 18, No. 2.
- Durniat K. (2014a), Socio-organizational mechanisms of institutional exclusion - a challenge for multicultural organizations, "Journal of Intercultural Management", Vol. 6, No. 4.
- Durniat K. (2014b), Measuring and diagnosing mobbing phenomenon - beyond behavioural indicators", oral presentation, 16th European Congress of Work and Organizational Psychology, 20-23 of May, Oslo, Norway.
- Durniat K. (2015a), Organizational and socio-organizational mobbing antecedents, "Przedsiębiorczośći Zarządzanie", t. XVI, z. 3, cz. 1.
- Durniat K. (2015b), Mobbing dynamics and consequences, "Przedsiębiorczośći Zarządzanie", t. XVI, z. 3, cz. 3.
- Einarsen S. (1999), The nature and causes of bullying at work, "International Journal of Manpower", No. 20.
- Einarsen S., Raknes B.I. (1997), Harassment in the workplace and the victimization of men, "Violence and Victims", No. 12.
- Einarsen S., Hoel H., Notelaers G. (2009), Measuring exposure to bullying and harassment at work: Validity, factor structure and psychometric properties of the Negative Acts Questionnaire - Revised, "Work and Stress", No. 23.
- Einarsen S., Skogstad A. (1996), Bullying at work: Epidemiological findings in public and private organizations, "European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology", Vol. 5, No. 2.
- Einarsen S., Hoel H., Zapf D., Cooper C.L. (2003), The concept of bullying and harassment at work: The European tradition [in:] S. Einarsen, H. Hoel, D. Zapf and C.L. Cooper (eds.), Bullying and harassment in the workplace: Developments in theory, research, and practice, Boca Raton, London, New York: Taylor & Francis Press.
- EUROFOUND (2007), First European Quality of Life Survey: Time Use and Work-Life Options Over the Life Course, Publications Office of the EU, Luxemburg.
- EUROFOUND (2010), Fifth European Working Conditions Survey (EWCS), Publications Office of the EU, Luxemburg.
- EUROFOUND (2012), Third European Quality of Life Survey - Quality of Life in Europe. Impacts of the crisis, Publications Office of the EU, Luxemburg.
- Escartín J., Rodríguez-Carballeira A., Zapf D., Porrúa C., Martín-Peña J. (2009), Perceived severity of various bullying behaviours and the relevance of exposure to bullying, "Work & Stress", Vol. 23, No. 3.
- Escartín J., Zapf D., Arrieta C., Rodríguez-Carballeira A. (2011), Workers' perception of workplace bullying:A cross-cultural study, "European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology", Vol. 20, No. 2.
- Field T. (1996), Bully in Sight: How To Predict, Resist, Challenge and Combat Workplace Bullying: Overcoming the Silence and Denial By Which Abuse Thrives, Success Unlimited, Wantage, England.
- Glasø L., Matthiesen S.B., Nielsen M.B., Einarsen S. (2007), Do targets of workplace bullying portraya general victim personality profile?, "Scandinavian Journal of Psychology", Vol. 48, No. 4.
- Giorgi G. (2010), Workplace bullying partially mediates the climate-health relationship, "Journal of Management Psychology", No. 25.
- Giorgi G., Leon-Perez J.M., Arenas A. (2015), Are bullying behaviors tolerated in some cultures? Evidence of a curvilinear relationship between workplace bullying and job satisfaction among Italian workers, "Journal of Business Ethics", No. 131.
- Gelfand M., Erez M., Aycan Z. (2007), Cross-cultural organizational behavior, "Annual Review of Psychology", No. 58.
- Hauge L.J., Skogstad A., Einarsen S. (2007), Relationships between stressful work environment and bullying. Results of a large representative study, "Work & Stress", Vol. 21, No. 3.
- Hoel H., Cooper C.L., Faragher B. (2001), The experience of bullying in Great Britain: The impact of organizational status, "European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology", No. 10.
- Hofstede G. (2001), Culture's Consequences: Comparing Values, Behaviors, Institutions and Organizations Across Nations, Sage 2nd edition, Thousand Oaks, CA.
- House R.J., Hanges P.W., Javidan M., Dorfman P., Gupta V. (eds.) (2004), Culture, Leadership and Organizations: The GLOBE Study of 62 Societies, Thousand Oaks, Sage, CA.
- Journal of Laws of 2003, No. 213, item. 2081 (Ustawa z dnia 14 listopada 2003 r. o zmianie ustawy - Kodeks pracy oraz o zmianie niektórych innych ustaw, Art. 943, Dz. U. z 2003 r. Nr 213, poz. 2081 ze zm.).
- Kulczycka A., Durniat K. (2004), Metodologiczne problemy badania mobbingu, Prace Naukowe Akademii Ekonomicznej, nr 1032.
- Keashly L. & Jagatic K. (2003), By any other name: American perspectives on workplace bullying [w:] S. Einarsen, H. Hoel, D. Zapf, C. Cooper (eds.), Bullying and emotional abuse in the workplace: International perspectives in research and practice, Taylor & Francis Press, London.
- Leymann H. (1990), Mobbing and Psychological Terror at Workplace, "Violence and Victims", No. 5.
- Leymann H. (1996), The content and development of mobbing at work, "European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology", Vol. 5, No. 2.
- Lorenz K. (1963), Das sogenannte Böse. Zur Naturgeschichte der Aggression, Wien.
- Matthiesen S.B., Einarsen S. (2004), Psychiatric distress and symptoms of PTSD among victims of bullying at work, "British Journal of Guidance and Counseling", Vol. 32, No. 2.
- Moreno-Jiménez B., Rodríguez-Muñoz A., Salin D., Morante M.E. (2008), Workplace bullying in Southern Europe: Prevalence, forms and risk groups ina Spanish sample, "International Journal of Organizational Behaviour", Vol. 13, No. 2.
- Moayed F., Daraiseh N., Shell R., Salem S. (2006), Workplace bullying: A systematic review of risk factors and outcomes, "Theoretical Issues in Ergonomics Science", Vol. 7, No. 3.
- Nield K. (1996), Mobbing and Well-being: Economic and Personnel Development Implications, "European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology", Vol. 5, No. 2.
- Nielsen M., Matthiesen S.B., Einarsen S. (2010), The impact of methodological moderators on prevalence rates of workplace bullying. A meta-analysis, "Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology", Vol. 83, No. 4.
- Nielsen M.B., Notelaers G., Einarsen S. (2011), Measuring exposure to workplace bullying [w:] S. Einarsen, H. Hoel, D. Zapf, C.L. Cooper (eds.), Bullying and harassment in the workplace: Developments in theory, research, and practice, Taylor & Francis, London.
- Nielsen M.B., Einarsen S. (2012), Outcomes of exposure to workplace bullying:A meta-analytic review, "Work and Stress", Vol. 26, No. 4.
- Notelaers G., Einarsen S. (2013), The world turns at 33 and 45: Defining simple cutoff scores for the Negative Acts Questionnaire-Revised in a representative sample, "European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology", Vol. 22, No. 6.
- Parzefall M., Salin D. (2010), Perceptions of and reactions to workplace bullying: A social exchange perspective, "Human Relations", Vol. 63, No. 6.
- Power J.L., Brotheridge C.M., Blenkinsopp J. et al. (2013), Acceptability of workplace bullying: a comparative study on six continents, "Journal of Business Research", No. 66.
- Salin D. (2001), Prevalence and forms of bullying among business professionals: A comparison of two different strategies measuring bullying, "European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology", Vol. 10, No. 4.
- Salin D. (2003), Bullying and organizational politics in competitive and rapidly changing work environments, "International Journal of Management and Decision Making", Vol. 4, No.1, pp. 35-46.
- Vartia M. (1996), The sources of bullying - psychological work environment and organizational climate, "European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology", Vol. 5, No. 2.
- Vartia M. (2001), Consequences of workplace bullying with respect to the well-being of its targets and the observers of bullying, "Scandinavian Journal of Work Environment Health", Vol. 27, No. 1.
- Zapf D., Knorz C., Kulla M. (1996), On the relationship between mobbing factors and job content, social work environment and health outcomes, "European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology", Vol. 5, No. 2.
- Zapf D., Escartin J., Einarsen S., Hoel H., Vartia M. (2011), Empirical findings on prevalence and risk groups of bullying in the workplace [in:] S. Einarsen, H. Hoel, D. Zapf, C.L. Cooper (eds.), Bullying and harassment in the workplace: Developments in theory, research and practice, Taylor & Francis, London.