The European Union Strategic Partnership Agreement with Brazil - Ten Years of Action in Place and Future Perspectives
The aim of this article is to discuss the historical relations of the European Union (EU) and Brazil and to draw possible scenarios of the future cooperation between both partners. Since the very beginning of the formation of the European Communities (EC), Brazil has been perceived as an important trade partner for the EC. During recent decades, the importance of Brazil as an economic and political leader of Latin America has emerged, and the EU recognized such position through establishment of more formal ties with Brazil. The Strategic Partnership Agreement (SPA) signed in 2007 was the reflection of the increasing importance of Brazil in the international area, and aimed to commence a closer formalized cooperation between both partners. However, due to some internal and external factors, discussed throughout this article, ten years after signing of the SPA, its outcome is much more often criticised, than praised. The article analyses the reasons for inefficiency of this SPA, and demonstrates some possible scenarios of further economic and political relations between the EU and Brazil. The role of Mercosur, and its long lasting talks with the EU with regard to the inter-regional agreement, has been also reflected in the discussion, and indicated as a significant consideration in the future relations between Brazil and the EU.(original abstract)
- Baber G., Development, the European Union and the financial crisis: assessing the picture, "Journal of Financial Crime", Vol. 23/2016.
- Balfour R., EU Strategic Partnerships: are they worth the name? "European Policy Center" 2010.
- Brazil and the EU: partnering on security and human rights? "FRIDE A European Think Tank for Global Action", April 2013.
- Brazil-European Union Joint Statement - Ten years of the Strategic Partnership, http://www.itamaraty.gov.br/en/press-releases/16749-brazil-european-union-joint-statement-ten-years-of-the-strategic-partnership.
- Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament and the Council, Towards an EU-Brazil Strategic Partnership.
- EU completes latest round of trade negotiations with Mercosur, http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/press/index.cfm?id=1754.
- Grevi G., The EU and Brazil: Partnering in an uncertain world? "CEPS Working Document", 2013.
- Koshiba L., Pereira D., Historia do Brasil (History of Brazil), Atual Editora LTDA, São Paulo 1994.
- Kundnani H., Democracy and the EU's 'strategic partnerships', "European Council on Foreign Relations", 2012.
- Lazarou E, Brazil and Regional Integration in South America: Lessons from the EU's Crisis, "Contexto Internacional", 2013.
- Lessa A.C., Brasil, Uniao Europeia, America do sul: anos 2010-2020 (Brazil, European Union, South America years 2010-2020), Fundacao Konrad Adenauer, Rio de Janeiro 2009.
- Malamud A., A Leader Without Followers? The Growing Divergence Between the Regional and Global Performance of Brazilian Foreign Policy, "Latin American Politics and Society", August 2011.
- Marcus D., Sangsari M., Strategic Partnership as an Instrument of EU Foreign Policy, "Centre for European Studies", 2015.
- Medeiros M., Leitao N., Bridge over trouble waters: Brasil e Uniao Europeia, "Fundacao Konrad Adenauer", Rio de Janeiro 2009.
- Meissner K., The time has come to look at Brazil. The EU's shift from international negotiations with MERCOSUR to a Bilateral Strategic Partnership with Brazil, "European University Institute", 2015.
- Patrício R., The Relationship between Brazil and the European Union: Converging Interests and Divergent Strategies - the Stagnation of the Strategic Partnership, "Journal of Education & Social Policy", Vol. 4/2017.
- Press Release of the EU, http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-94-62_en.htm.
- Resultados do Projecto Apoio aos Diálogos Setoriais União Europeia-Brasil 2008-2016 (Results of the Aid Project within Sector Dialogs of European Union-Brasil 2008-2016), CESO Development Consultants/FIIAPP/ INA/CEPS, February 2017.
- Saraiva M., Brazilian foreign policy towards South America during the Lula administration: caught between South America and Mercosur, "Revista Brasileira de Política Internacional", Vol. 53/2010.
- Saraiva M., The Brazil-European Union strategic partnership, from Lula to Dilma Rousseff: a shift of focus, "Revista Brasileira de Politica Internacional", Vol. 60, February 2007.
- Staden A., Subsidiarity in Regional Integration Regimes in Latin America and Africa, "Law and Contemporary Problems", 2016.
- Sector Dialogues within the EU - Brazil SPA framework, http://sectordialogues. org.
- The EU Strategic Partnerships Review, "European Strategic Partnerships Observatory", April 2012.
- The future of the European Union, "The Economists", https://www.economist.com/news/special-report/21719188-it-marks-its-60th-birthdayeuropean- union-poor-shape-it-needs-more.
- Visentini P., Silva A., Brazil and the economic, political, and environmental multilateralism: the Lula years (2003-2010), "Revista Brasileira de Política Internacional" 2010.
- Whitman R., Rodt A., EU-Brazil Relations: A Strategic Partnership? "European Foreign Affairs Review", Vol. 27/2012.