Confidential Business Information - Definition and Legal Character of Protection
The term "business secret" is one of many terms used in the language of law and the language of lawyers with reference to the information kept secret, concerning such a method of operation used in the activity of an enterprise which brings market success or at least gives hope for success. Despite the expansion of the industrial property rights, that has been observed for decades, the importance of confidential information, referred to, among others as business secrets or trade secrets, is still growing and is accompanied by the development of the rules for their legal protection. Nowadays, many entrepreneurs treat confidentiality of information as a no less important factor, and often even more convenient for acquiring and maintaining market position than industrial property rights. An illustration and confirmation of the growing role of legal protection of confidential information may be, observed in recent years, the development of national legal regulations concerning this matter, while at the EU level the adoption in 2016 of the Directive 2016/943 on protection of secret know-how and confidential commercial information (an enterprise's secret) against their unlawful acquisition, use and disclosure. The legal protection of trade secret is the subject of numerous discussions on various aspects of this issue. The paper is dedicated only to one of them - identification of information considered to be an enterprise's protected secret and a model of this protection. In particular, the focus was on analyzing the compliance in this scope with the Polish law for the protection of business secret pursuant to the Act on Combating Unfair Competition with the Directive 2016/943.(original abstract)
- [1.] The Act of 16.04.1993 on combating unfair competition (uniform text: Journal of Laws of 2003 no. 153 item 1503).
- [2.] Act of 5 July 2002 amending the act on combating unfair competition (Journal of Laws No. 126, item 1071).
- [3.] Directive 2004/48/We of the European Parliament and of the Council of 29 April 2004 on the enforcement of intellectual property rights, Official Journal of 30.04.2004, L. 157/45.
- [4.] Directive of the European Parliament and of the Council (EU) 2016/943 of 8 June 2016 on protection of secret know-how and non-public commercial information (business secrets) against their unlawful acquisition, use and disclosure - Official Journal UE of 15.06 2016, L.157/1 Literature
- [1.] Błaszczyk C., Libertarianism in view of intellectual property law ZNUJ 2017/2/133-156.
- [2.] Cook T., The Proposal for a Directive on the Protection of Trade Secrets in EU Legislation, Journal of Intellectual Property Rights 2014, vol. 19.
- [3.] Correa C. M., Trade related aspects of intellectual property rights. A Commentary on the TRIPS Agreement, Oxford University Press 2008.
- [4.] Dessemontet F., Protection of Trade Secrets and confidential information [in:] Intellectual Property and International Trade: The TRIPS Agreement, London-Hague-Boston 1998.
- [5.] Giesen B., Protection of business secret on the basis of article 11 ZNKU, SPP 2013/2.
- [6.] Górnicki L., Unfair competition, in particular by misleading designation of goods or services, and protection measures in Polish law, 1997.
- [7.] Henning-Bodewig F., International Protection Against Unfair Competition - Article 10 bis Paris Convention, TRIPS and WIPO Model Provisions, International Review of Intellectual Property and Competition Law 1999, vol. 30, no. 2.
- [8.] Kamperman Sanders A., Unfair Competition Law: the protection of intellectual and industrial creativity, New York 1997,
- [9.] Knaak R., Kur A., Hilty M., Comments of the Max Planck Institute for Innovation and Competition of 14 June 2014 on the Proposal of the European Commission for a Directive on the Protection of Undisclosed Know-How and Business Information (Trade Secrets) Against Their Unlawful Acquisition, Use and Disclosure of 28 November 2013, COM(2013) 813 Final [in:] International Review of Intellectual Property and Competition Law, 2014.
- [10.] Lippoldt D., Schultz M. [in:] OECD report: ENQUIRIES INTO INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY'S ECONOMIC IMPACT, OECD 2015,
- [11.] Long D. E., D'Amato A., A Coursebook in International Intellectual Property, St. Paul, MN 2000,
- [12.] Michalak A., Protection of business secrets. Civil law issues, Zakamycze 2006.
- [13.] Mozgawa M., Combating the unfair competition with criminal law measures, Gdańsk 1997,
- [14.] Nowińska E., Du Vail M., Commentary on the Act on Combating Unfair Competition, Warsaw 2013
- [15.] Nowińska E., M. du Vall in: Adamczak A., Szewc A., Paris Convention on the protection of industrial property. Commentary, 2008,
- [16.] Pazdan M., Civil Code, supplement vol. I and II, Commentary, Warsaw 2003,
- [17.] Radwański Z., Civil law - general part, Warsaw,
- [18.] Sieradzka M., Sołtysiński S., Gogulski S. [in:] The Act on Combating Unfair Competition..., J. Szwaja (ed.), 2013,
- [19.] Sieradzka M., Zdyb M., (eds.), The Act on Combating Unfair Competition. Commentary, ed. II,: WK 2016.
- [20.] Surblyte G., Enhancing TRIPS: Trade Secrets and Reverse Engineering, [in:] Ullrich H., Hilty R.M., Lamping M., Drexl J. (eds), TRIPS 20. From Trade Rules to Market Principles, Berlin- Heidelberg: Springer, 2016,.
- [21.] Traple E., Protection of information constituting a company secret, ZNKU (Act on combating unfair competition) and protection of secrets revealed during negotiations, MoP 2003, No. 21.
- [22.] Wadlow C., Regulatory Data Protection Under TRIPs Article 39(3) and Article 10bis of the Paris Convention: Is There a Doctor in the House? [in:] Intellectual Property Quarterly, 2008.
- [23.] Wojcieszko-Głuszko E., The secret of the enterprise and its civil law protection under the provisions of the law on unfair competition, PIPWI UJ 2005,
- [24.] Van Caenegem W., Trade Secrets and Intellectual Property: Breach of Confidence, Misappropriation and Unfair Competition, Alphen aan den Rijn: Wolters-Kluwert, 2014 Jurisdiction
- [1.] Supreme Court judgment of 13 February 2014, V CSK 176/13, LEX no. 1441477