The Role of Job Stress at Emotional Labor's Effect on Intention to Leave: Evidence from Call Center Employees
Call centers are contact centers that act as communication facilities between customers and businesses with the help of customer representatives. The call center sector where transactions are carried out largely without face to face communication is known as a sector with the most stressful and is also known with having the highest employee turnover rate. Customer representatives are not able to use any initiative and they have too many workloads; for this reason, they are frazzled. In addition, customer representatives need to play role despite of their natural emotions. This affects the emotional labor behavior of sector employees. In this study, the job stress' mediating role at emotional labor's effect on intention to leave is investigated. Data was collected from two call centers operating in Bitlis province in Turkey by using survey method. Analyzes were made with the SPSS 23 and AMOS 22 programs through 207 valid questionnaires. In the analyzes made, job stress has full mediating effect at emotional labor variable's surface acting dimension's effect on intention to leave. Due to the correlation analyzes performed, there was a significant relationship between surface acting and natural emotions (expression of naturally felt emotions) dimension of emotional labor variable with job stress and intention to leave.(original abstract)
- Aktekin, T. (2014). Call center service process analysis: Bayesian parametric and semi-parametric mixture modeling. European Journal of Operational Research, 234(3), 709-719.
- Ashforth, B. E., & Humphrey, R. H. (1993). Emotional labor in service roles: The influence of identity. Academy of Management Review, 18(1), 88-115.
- Baba, V. V., Galperin, B. L., & Lituchy, T. R. (1999). Occupational mental health: a study of work-related depression among nurses in the Caribbean. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 36(2), 163-169.
- Baron, R. M., & Kenny, D. A. (1986). The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 51(6), 1173-1182.
- Barron, D., & West, E. (2005). Leaving nursing: an event-history analysis of nurses' careers. Journal of Health Services Research & Policy, 10(3), 150-157.
- Beehr, T. A., & Newman, J. E. (1978). Job stress, employee health, and organizational effectiveness: A facet analysis, model, and literature review. Personnel Psychology, 31(4), 665-699.
- Blau, G. (1981). An empirical investigation of job stress, social support, service length, and job strain. Organizational Behavior and Human Performance, 27(2), 279-302.
- Chen, P. Y., & Spector, P. E. (1992). Relationships of work stressors with aggression, withdrawal, theft and substance use: An exploratory study. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 65(3), 177-184.
- Chung, E. K., Jung, Y., & Sohn, Y. W. (2017). A moderated mediation model of job stress, job satisfaction, and turnover intention for airport security screeners. Safety Science, 98, 89-97.
- Collins, K., Jones, M. L., Mcdonnell, A., Read, S., Jones, R., & Cameron, A. (2000). Do new roles contribute to job satisfaction and retention of staff in nursing and professions allied to medicine?. Journal of Nursing Management, 8(1), 3-12.
- Çelik, M., & Yıldız, B. (2016). Duygusal emek düzeyinin işten ayrilma niyeti üzerindeki etkisinde stresin araci rolü [The role of stress in the role of the emotional labor level on the intention to leave the work]. Journal of International Social Research, 9(45).
- Diefendorff, J. M., Croyle, M. H., & Gosserand, R. H. (2005). The dimensionality and antecedents of emotional labor strategies. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 66(2), 339-357.
- Efeoğlu, İ. E., & Özgen, H. (2007). İş aile yaşam çatişmasinin iş stresi iş doyumu ve örgütsel bağlilik üzerindeki etkileri: ilaç sektöründe bir araştirma [Job stress of family conflict in business life and the effects on job satisfaction and organizational commitment: a study in the pharmaceutical industry]. Çukurova Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü Dergisi, 16(2).
- England, P., & Farkas, G. (1986). Households, employment, and gender: A social, economic and demographic view. Piscataway, NJ: Aldine Publishing.
- Ertekin, Y. (1993). Stres ve Yönetim [ Stress and Management]. Todaie: Ankara.
- Flinkman, M., Leino-Kilpi, H., & Salanterä, S. (2010). Nurses' intention to leave the profession: integrative review. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 66(7), 1422-1434.
- French, J. R. P., Jr. 1974. Occupational Stress. Person-Role Fit. In A. McLean (Ed.) Springfield, II1.: Thomas.
- French, J. R. P., Jr., & Caplan, R. D. (1972). Organizational Stress and Individual Strain. In A. Marrow (Ed.) The failure of Success. New York, NY: Amacom.
- Gordi, M. R. (2006). Job satisfaction of call centre representatives (Doctoral Dissertation, University of the Western Cape).
- Grandey, A. A. (2000). Emotional regulation in the workplace: A new way to conceptualize emotional labor. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, 5, 95-110.
- Güçlü, N. (2001). Stres Yönetimi [Stress Management]. G.Ü. Gazi Eğitim Fakültesi Dergisi, 21(1), 91-109.
- Gülertekin, S. (2013). Duygu iklimi ve liderlik tarzının işten ayrılma niyetine etkileri: Alanya'daki turizm işletmelerine yönelik bir araştırma [The effects of emotional climate and leadership style on intention to leave work: A research on tourism businesses in Alanya]. Çanakkale Onsekiz Mart Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü (Yüksek Lisans Tezi) Çanakkale.
- Heinen, M. M., van Achterberg, T., Schwendimann, R., Zander, B., Matthews, A., Kózka, M., & Schoonhoven, L. (2013). Nurses' intention to leave their profession: a cross sectional observational study in 10 European countries. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 50(2), 174-184.
- Hochschild AR. (2012). The managed heart: commercialization of human feeling. CA: University of California Press: Berkeley.
- Hochschild, A. R. (1983). The managed heart. CA: University of California Press: Berkeley.
- Hochschild, A.R. (2003). The Managed heart: commercialization of human feeling, Twentieth Anniversary ed. University of California Press, Berkeley, California.
- Hochschild, A.R. (2006). The managed heart. commercialization of human feeling. Campus Verlag., Frankfurt New York.
- Hofmann, V., & Stokburger-Sauer, N. E. (2017). The impact of emotional labor on employees' work-life balance perception and commitment: A study in the hospitality industry. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 65, 47-58.
- Ishii, K., & Markman, K. M. (2016). Online customer service and emotional labor: An exploratory study. Computers in Human Behavior, 62, 658-665.
- İrigüler, F. (2015). A research on tour guides' use of emotional labor and the relationship between their job satisfaction and burnout levels: the sample of İzmir (Master's thesis).
- Kim, A., & Barak, M. E. M. (2015). The mediating roles of leader-member exchange and perceived organizational support in the role stress-turnover intention relationship among child welfare workers: A longitudinal analysis. Children and Youth Services Review, 52, 135-143.
- Kruml, S. M., & Geddes, D. (2000). Exploring the dimensions of emotional labor: The heart of Hochschild's work. Management Communication Quarterly, 14(1), 8-49.
- Küçükusta, D. (2007). Konaklama işletmelerinde iş-yaşam dengesinin çalışma yaşamı kalitesi üzerindeki etkisi [The effect of work-life balance on the quality of working life in the accommodation enterprises]. Yayımlanmamış Doktora Tezi.
- Lambert, V. A., Lambert, C. E., & Ito, M. (2004). Workplace stressors, ways of coping and demographic characteristics as predictors of physical and mental health of Japanese hospital nurses. International journal of Nursing Studies, 41(1), 85-97.
- LaRocco, J. M., House, J. S., & French Jr, J. R. (1980). Social support, occupational stress, and health. Journal of Health and Social Behavior, 202-218.
- Layne, C. M., Hohenshil, T. H., & Singh, K. (2004). The relationship of occupational stress, psychological strain, and coping resources to the turnover intentions of rehabilitation counselors. Rehabilitation Counseling Bulletin, 48(1), 19-30.
- Lazarus, R. S. (1989). Constructs of the Mind in Mental Health and Psychotherapy. In Comprehensive Handbook of Cognitive Therapy (pp. 99-121). Springer US.
- Lazarus, R. S. (1993). From psychological stress to the emotions: A history of changing outlooks. Annual Review of Psychology, 44(1), 1-22.
- Lazarus, R. S. (2006). Stress and Emotion: A New Synthesis. Springer Publishing Company.
- Marr, B., & Neely, A. (2004). Managing and measuring for value: The case of call centre performance. Cranfield School of Management and Fujitsu.
- Mishra, S. K., Bhatnagar, D., D'Cruz, P., & Noronha, E. (2012). Linkage between perceived external prestige and emotional labor: Mediation effect of organizational identification among pharmaceutical representatives in India. Journal of World Business, 47(2), 204-212.
- Morris, J. A., & Feldman, D. C. (1996). The dimensions, antecedents, and consequences of emotional labor. Academy of Management Review, 21(4), 986-1010.
- Onay, M., & Kılcı, S. (2011). İş stresi ve tükenmişlik duygusunun işten ayrılma niyeti üzerine etkileri: Garsonlar ve aşçıbaşılar [Job stress and burnout affect the intention to leave work: Waiters and cooks]. Organizasyon ve Yönetim Bilimleri Dergisi, 3(2).
- Örmeci, E. L., Salman, F. S., & Yücel, E. (2014). Staff rostering in call centers providing employee transportation. Omega, 43, 41-53.
- Özbağ, G. K., Ceyhun, G. Ç., & Çekmecelioğlu, H. G. (2014). The moderating effects of motivating job characteristics on the relationship between burnout and turnover intention. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 150, 438-446.
- Pack, T. G., Roessler, R. T., Turner, R., & Robertson, J. (2007). Prediction of turnover intentions among employed adults with multiple sclerosis. Journal of Rehabilitation, 73(3), p. 26.
- Pala, T., & Tepeci, M. (2014). Otel işletmelerinde çalışanların duygusal emek boyutlarının belirlenmesi ve duygusal emek boyutlarının iş tatmini ve işte kalma niyeti üzerine etkisi [Determination of the emotional labor dimensions of employees in hotel enterprises and the effect of emotional labor dimensions on job satisfaction and intention to stay at work]. Seyahat ve Otel İşletmeciliği Dergisi, 11(1).
- Parker, D. F., & DeCotiis, T. A. (1983). Organizational determinants of job stress. Organizational Behavior and Human Performance, 32(2), 160-177.
- Pehlivan, İ.(1995). 1995. İş Yaşamında Stres [Stress in Business Life]. Pegem Yayınları, 1. Baskı. Ankara.
- Price, J. L. (1977). The Study of Turnover. The Iowa State University Press: Ames, Iowa.
- Prery, JL, and Rainey HG (1988). The public-private distinction in organization theory: a critique and research strategy. The Academy of Management Review, 13(2), 182-201.
- Schafer, W. (1987). Stress Management For Wellness. Mc Graw Hill: New York.
- Schuler, R. S. (1980). Definition and conceptualization of stress in organizations. Organizational Behavior and Human Performance, 25(2), 184-215.
- Shamsuddin, N., & Rahman, R. A. (2014). The relationship between emotional intelligence and job performance of call centre agents. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 129, 75-81.
- Simon, M., Kümmerling, A., & Hasselhorn, H. M. (2004). Work-home conflict in the European nursing profession. International Journal of Occupational and Environmental Health, 10(4), 384-391.
- Suarthana, J. H. P., & Riana, I. G. (2016). The effect of psychological contract breach and workload on intention to leave: mediating role of job stress. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 219, 717-723.
- Şahin, N.H. (1995). Stresle Başa Çıkma. Olumlu Bir Yaklaşım [Coping With Stress. A Positive Approach]. Sistem Yayıncılık: İstanbul.
- Takase, M. (2010). A concept analysis of turnover intention: Implications for Nursing Management. Collegian, 17(1), 3-12.
- Turunç, Ö. and Çelik, M. (2010). Çalışanların algıladıkları örgütsel destek ve iş stresinin örgütsel özdeşleşme ve iş performansina etkisi [The effect of organizational support and job stress perceived by employees on organizational identification and job performance]. Yönetim ve Ekonomi, 17(2), 183-206.
- Tzafrir, S. S., Gur, A. B. A., & Blumen, O. (2015). Employee social environment (ESE) as a tool to decrease intention to leave. Scandinavian Journal of Management, 31(1), 136-146.
- Tziner, A., Rabenu, E., Radomski, R., & Belkin, A. (2015). Work stress and turnover intentions among hospital physicians: the mediating role of burnout and work satisfaction. Revista de Psicología del Trabajo y de las Organizaciones, 31(3), 207-213.
- Wallace, C.M., Eagleson, G. and Waldersee, R. (2000). The sacrificial HR strategy in call centres. International Journal of Service Industry Management, 11(2), 174-184
- Wang, E. J., Berthon, P., Pitt, L., & McCarthy, I. P. (2016). Service, emotional labor, and mindfulness. Business Horizons, 59(6), 655-661.
- Yavuz, U., & Leloğlu, H. (2011). Müşteri ilişkileri yönetimi'nde çağri merkezlerinin yeri: çağri merkezi örneği [Location of call centers in customer relationship management: call center example]. Atatürk Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü Dergisi, 15(1).
- Yenihan, B., Öner, M., & Çiftyıldız, K. (2014). İş stresi ve işten ayrılma niyeti arasındaki ilişki: otomotiv işletmesinde bir araştırma [The relationship between job stress and job intention to leave: a research in automotive business]. Çalışma İlişkileri Dergisi, 5(1), 38-49.
- Yürür, S., & Ünlü, A. G. O. (2011). Duygusal emek, duygusal tükenme ve işten ayrilma niyeti ilişkisi [Emotional labor, emotional exhaustion and intention to leave work]. "İşGüç" Endüstri İlişkileri ve İnsan Kaynakları Dergisi, 13(2), 81-104.
- Zapf, D., Seifert, C., Schmutte, B., Mertini, H., Holz, M., (2001) Emotion work and job stressors and their effects on burnout. Psychol Health 16, 527-545.
- Zapf, D., Vogt, C., Seifert, C., Mertini, H., Isic, A., (1999) Emotion work as a source of stress. The concept and development of an instrument. Eur. J. Work Organ. Psychol. 8 (3), 371-400.