Determinants of Export Performance: Case of Seafood Firms in Viet Nam
Purpose: The purpose of this paper is to define and measure key factors regarding toexport performance of seafood firms in Viet Nam. Methodology: This study has used qualitative and quantitative researches: (i) qualitative research carried out through focus group discussions with 10 chief executive officers of seafood firms, and (ii) quantitative research conducted through direct interviews with 305 seafood firms (chief executive officer or senior executive) in Mekong Delta region (Viet Nam). Result and conclusion: The results show that: (i) export performance is affected by export marketing strategy, characteristics and capabilities, industry characteristics, management characteristics, domestic market characteristics, and foreign market characteristics; (ii) export marketing strategy is affected by characteristics and capabilities, industry characteristics, management characteristics, domestic market characteristics, and foreign market characteristics. However, the research subject has certain limitations: (i) due to limited resources in conducting research, the sample size consisted of 305 seafood firms, (ii) This study conducted the sampling technique of using direct interview methods from respondents.(original abstract)
- Aaby, N.E., & Slater, S.F. (1989). Management influences on export performance: a review of the empirical literature 1978 - 1988. International Marketing Review, 6(4), 7-26.
- Adu-Gyamfi, N., & Korneliussen, T. (2013). Antecedents of export performance: the case of an emerging market. International Journal of Emerging Markets, 8(4), 354-372.
- Ayan, T. Y., & Percin, S. (2005). A Structural Analysis of the Determinants of Export Performance: Evidence from Turkey. Innovative Marketing, 1(2), 106-120.
- Craig, C. J. (2003). Export marketing performance: a study of Thailand firms. Journal of Small Business Management, 41(2), 213-221.
- Cavusgil, S. T., & Zou, S. (1994). Marketing Strategy - Performance Relationship: An Investigation of the Empirical Link in Export Market Ventures. Journal of Marketing, 58(1), 1-21.
- Chen, J., Sousa, C. M. P., & He, X. (2016). The determinants of export performance: a review of the literature 2006 - 2014. International Marketing Review, 33(5), 626-670.
- Erdil, T.S., & Ozdemir, O. (2016). The Determinants of Relationship Between Marketing Mix Strategy and Drivers of Export Performance in Foreign Markets: An Application on Turkish Clothing Industry. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 235, 546-556.
- General Statistics Office of Viet Nam (2017). Statistical Handbook of Viet Nam. Statistical Publishing House.
- Gemünden, H. G. (1991). Success factors in export marketing. In Paliwoda S.J. (Ed.), New Perspectives in International Marketing (pp. 33 - 62). London: Routledge.
- Gerbing, W. D., & Anderson, J. C. (1988). An updated paradigm for scale development incorporating unidimensionality and its assessment. Journal of Marketing Research, 25(2), 186-192.
- Hair, J., Aderson, R., Tatham, P., & Black, W. (2006). Multivariate data analysis (6th ed.). Upper Saddle River, N.J.: Prentice-Hall.
- Hu, L. T., & Bentler, P. M. (1999). Cutoff criteria for fit indexes in covariance structure analysis: Conventional criteria versus new alternatives. Structural Equation Modeling, 6(1), 1-55.
- Jalali, S. H. (2012). Export barriers and export performance: Empirical evidence from the commercial relationship between Greece and Iran. South Eastern Europe Journal of Economics, 1, 53-66.
- Katsikeas, C. S., Leonidou, L. C., & Morgan, N. A. (2000). Firm-level export performance assessment: Review, evaluation and development. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 28(4), 493-511.
- Katsikeas, C. S., Samiee, S., & Theodosiou, M. (2006). Strategy fit and performance consequences of international marketing standardization. Strategic Management Journal, 27(9), 867-890.
- Lages, L. F., Jap, S. D., & Griffith, D. A. (2008). The role of past performance in export ventures: a short-term reactive approach. Journal of International Business Studies, 39, 304-325.
- Leonidou, L. C., Katsikeas, C. S., & Samiee, S. (2002). Marketing strategy determinants of export performance: a meta - analysis. Journal of Business Research, 55(1), 51-67.
- Madsen, T. K. (1987). Empirical export performance studies: a review of conceptualizations and findings. In Cavusgil, S.T. and Axinn, C. (Eds), Advances in international marketing (pp. 77 - 9). Greenwich, CT: JAI Press.
- Ministry of Commerce and Industry of Viet Nam (2017). Report of Import and export of Viet Nam in 2016. Publishing House of Industrial and Trade.
- Moghaddam, F. M., Hamid, A. B. B. A., & Aliakbar, E. (2012). Management influence on the export performance of firms: A review of the empirical literature 1989 - 2009. African Journal of Business Management, 6(15), 5150-5158.
- Navarro, A., Losada, F., Ruzo, E., & Diez, J. A. (2010). Implications of perceived competitive advantages, adaptation of marketing tactics and export commitment on export performance. Journal of World Business, 45, 49-58.
- Nazar, M. S., & Saleem, H. M. N. (2009). Firm Level Determinants Of Export Performance. International Business & Economics Research Journal , 8(2), 105- 112.
- Nunnally, J. C., & Burnstein, I. H. (1994), Psychometric Theory (3rd ed.). NewYork: McGraw - Hill.
- Nuseir, M. T. (2016). Analyzing the Influence of International Entrepreneurship on the SMEs Exporting Performance Using Structural Equation Model: An Empirical Study in Jordan. International Journal of Business and Management, 11(2), 153- 163.
- O'Cass, A., & Craig, J. (2003). Examining firm and environmental influences on export marketing mix strategy and export performance of australian exporters. European Journal of Marketing, 37(3/4), 366-384.
- Schumacker, R. E., & Lomax, R. G. (2004). A beginner's guide to structural equation modeling (2nd ed.). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Shoham, A. (1996). Marketing - mix standardization: Determinants of export performance. Journal of Global Marketing, 10(2), 3-73.
- Virvilaite, R., & Seinauskiene, B. (2015). The influence of psychic distance on export performance: The moderating effects of international experience. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 213(1), 665-670.
- Zou, S., & Stan, S. (1998). The determinants of export performance: A review of the empirical literature between 1987 and 1997. International Marketing Review, 15(5), 333-35