Microfinance Training and the Number of Loans Received by Smes : an Empirical Evidence from Emerging Economy
he objective of this study is to examine the impact of Microfinance training, Trust and Social ties on the Number of loans received by small and medium-scale enterprises (SMEs) in developing economies. The Poisson regression model is used as the method of analysis. 195 SMEs in North-Eastern Nigeria form the sample of the study based on two-stage sampling and simple random sampling technique. The results reveal that Social ties, Location, and Nature of operation have a significant positive relationship with the Number of loans receives by SMEs. Similarly, the Number of training and Trust have significant positive impact on the Number of loans received; however, they demonstrate the least impact as compared with the other variables based on the level of significance. (original abstract)
- Abor, J., & Quartey, P. (2010). Issues in SME development in Ghana and South Africa. International Research Journal of Finance and Economics, 39(6), 215-228.
- Ahiawodzi, A. K., & Adade, T. C. (2012). Access to credit and growth of small and medium scale enterprises in the Ho municipality of Ghana. British Journal of Economics, Finance and Management Sciences, 6(2), 34-51.
- Ahlin, C., & Townsend, R. M. (2007). Using repayment data to test across models of joint liability lending. The Economic Journal, 117(517). https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-0297.2007.02014.x
- Akpan, E. S., & Nneji, I. D. (2015). Contribution of microfinance banks to the development of small and medium scale enterprises in Nigeria. Research Journal of Finance and Accounting, 6(8), 19-28.
- Algamal, Z. Y. (2012). Diagnostic in Poisson regression models. Electronic Journal of Applied Statistical Analysis, 5(2), 178-186.
- Anane, G. K., Cobbinah, P. B., & Manu, J. K. (2013). Sustainability of small and medium scale enterprises in rural Ghana: The Role of Microfinance Institutions. Asian Economic and Financial Review, 3(8), 1003-1017.
- Babajide, A. (2012). Effects of microfinance on micro and small enterprises (MSEs) growth in Nigeria. Asian Economic and Financial Review, 2(3), 463.
- Batir, T. E., Volkman, D. A., & Gungor, B. (2017). Determinants of bank efficiency in Turkey: Participation banks versus conventional banks. Borsa Istanbul Review. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.bir.2017.02.003
- Brown, S., Gray, D., McHardy, J., & Taylor, K. (2015). Employee trust and workplace performance. Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, 116, 361-378. https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jebo.2015.05.001
- Cainelli, G., Mancinelli, S., & Mazzanti, M. (2007). Social capital and innovation dynamics in district-based local systems. The Journal of Socio-Economics, 36(6), 932-948. https://doi:10.1016/j.socec.2007.01.023
- Cassar, A., Crowley, L., & Wydick, B. (2007). The effect of social capital on group loan repayment: evidence from field experiments. The Economic Journal, 117(517). https://doi:10.1111/j.1468-0297.2007.02016.x
- CBN (2005). First, regulatory and supervisory guidelines for microfinance banks in Nigeria. Central Bank of Nigeria.
- CBN (2011). Revised regulatory and supervisory guidelines for microfinance banks (MFBs) in Nigeria. Central Bank of Nigeria.
- CBN (2012). Revised (Amended) Regulatory and Supervisory Guidelines for Microfinance Banks (MFBs) in Nigeria. Central Bank of Nigeria.
- Coleman, J. S. (1988). Social capital in the creation of human capital. American journal of sociology, 94, S95-S120. http://www.jstor.org/stable/2780243
- Cooke, P., & Wills, D. (1999). Small firms, social capital and the enhancement of business performance through innovation programmes. Small Business Economics, 13(3), 219-234. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008178808631
- Cowling, Marc, Matthews, Catherine and Liu, Weixi (2017) The role of loan commitment terms in credit allocation on the UK small firms loan guarantee scheme. International Review of Entrepreneurship, 15(1). 15-28.
- Dillman, D. A. (2011). Mail and internet surveys: the tailored design method 2007 update with new internet, visual, and mixed-mode guide. New Jersey, United States: John Wiley & Sons.
- Etuk, R. U., Etuk, G. R., & Michael, B. (2014). Small and medium scale enterprises (SMEs) and Nigeria's economic development. Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences, 5(7), 656-662. https://dx.doi.org/10.5901/mjss.2014.v5n7p656
- Fauster, A. (2015). The impact of microfinance on the performance of small-scale enterprises: a comparison of Sinapi Aba Trust and Maata-N-Tudu Associations in Wa Municipality, Ghana. Ghana Journal of Development Studies, 11(2), 1-13.
- Fine, B. (2010). Theories of social capital: Researchers behaving badly. (Political Economy and Development), Pluto Press.
- Grootaert, C., Narayan, D., Jones, V. N., & Woolcock (Ed.). (2004). Measuring social capital: An integrated questionnaire (No. 18). World Bank Publications.
- Gujarati Damodar, N. (2004). Basic econometrics. United States Military Academy, West Point: Mc-Graw Hill
- Hair Jr. J. F., Black, W. C., Babin, B. J., & Anderson, R. E. (2014). Multivariate data analysis (7th. Ed.). UK: Pearson International edition.
- Hausman, J. A., Hall, B. H., & Griliches, Z. (1984). Econometric models for count data with an application to the patents-R&D relationship. Econometrica, 52(4), 909-938. https://dx.doi.org/10.3386/t0017
- Kessy, S., & Temu, S. S. (2010). The impact of training on performance of micro and small enterprises served by microfinance institutions in Tanzania. Research Journal of Business Management, 4(2), 103-111.
- Kimanzi, Y. K. (2016). Influence of micro finance services on growth of women-owned enterprises in Kitui Central Sub-County. Doctoral dissertation, South Eastern Kenya University.
- Kiprotich, E. (2014). The influence of social capital on the growth of SMEs in Nairobi Kenya. Doctoral dissertation, University of Nairobi.
- Kline, R. B. (2011). Principle and practice of structural equation modelling (5th ed.). New York: The Guilford Press.
- Kyeremateng, A. (2012). Effects of training on loan repayment among small-scale farmers: A case study of the IVRDP in the Ahafo-Ano South District, Ashanti Region. Thesis submitted to the Institute of Distance Learning, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology. pp.1-77.
- Maengwe, J. O., & Otuya, W. I. (2016). A critical review on micro-financing of small businesses in Kenya. Pyrex Journal of Business and Finance Management Research, 2(2), 6-11. http://www.pyrexjournals.org/pjbfmr
- Mensah, S. (2004, March). A review of SME financing schemes in Ghana. In Presentation at the UNIDO Regional Workshop of Financing SMEs (pp. 15-16). Ghana: Accra.
- Muriithi, S. M. (2017). African small and medium enterprises (SMEs): contributions, challenges and solutions. European Journal of Research and Reflection in Management Sciences, 5(1), 36-48.
- Nahapiet, J., & Ghoshal, S. (1998). Social capital, intellectual capital, and the organizational advantage. Academy of management review, 23(2), 242-266.
- NSDC. (2013). Guideline for new SMEs definition: Issued by SME Corp. Malaysia. Secretariat to the NSDC. Economics and Policy Planning Division SME Corp. Malaysia.
- OECD (2017). Financing to SMEs and Entrepreneurs. Highlights. An OECD Scoreboard.
- Ofori, D., & Sackey, J. (2010). Assessing social capital for organizational performance: Initial exploratory insights from Ghana. Organizations and Markets in Emerging Economies, 1(2), 71-91.
- Oni, E. O., & Daniya, A. A. (2012). Development of small and medium scale enterprises: The role of government and other financial institutions. Arabian Journal of Business and Management Review (OMAN Chapter), 1, 16-29. https://doi.org/10.12816/0002132
- Othman, M. B. (2015). Role of women in achieving shared prosperity: An impact study of Islamic microfinance in Malaysia. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 211, 1043-1048. https://doi:10.1016/j.sbspro.2015.11.139
- Pallant, J. (2005). SPSS survival manual: a step by step guide to data analysis using SPSS (3rd. Ed.), Australia: Allen & Unwin.
- Pregibon, D. (1980). Goodness of link tests for generalized linear models. Applied statistics, 15-14.
- Putnam, R. D. (1995). Bowling alone: America's declining social capital. Journal of Democracy, 6(1), 65-78.
- Quartey, P., Turkson, E., Abor, J. Y., & Iddrisu, A. M. (2017). Financing the growth of SMEs in Africa: What are the constraints to SME financing within ECOWAS? Review of Development Finance, 7(1), 18-28.. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rdf.2017.03.001
- Roscoe, J. T. (1975). Fundamental research statistics for the behavioural sciences (2nd ed.). Holt, Rinehart and Winston: New York.
- Sani, H., & Mohd-Khan, S. J. (2016). Effect of social capital, loan and saving on the growth of SMEs in Nigeria: A proposed research framework. (Paper presented in 3rd Annual ECoFI Symposium, December 18-19, 2016). Kedah, Malaysia
- Sekaran, U. (2003). Research methods for business: A skill-building approach (4th ed.). John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Sergie, M. A., & Johnson, T. (2014). Boko Haram. Council on Foreign Relations, 7(10), 2014.
- Shen, Y., Shen, M., Xu, Z., & Bai, Y. (2009). Bank size and small-and medium-sized enterprise (SME) lending: Evidence from China. World development, 37(4), 800-811. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.worlddev.2008.07.014
- Tabachnick, B. G., & Fidell, L. S. (2007). Using multivariate statistics (5th. Ed.), USA: Pearson Education Inc.
- Triki, T., & Faye, I. (2013). Financial inclusion in Africa. African Development Bank.
- Tsai, W., & Ghoshal, S. (1998). Social capital and value creation: The role of intrafirm networks. Academy of Management Journal, 41(4), 464-476. https://dx.doi.org/10.2307/257085
- USITC (2010). Small and medium-sized enterprises: overview of participation in US exports. United States International Trade Commission Investigation No. 332-508 USITC Publication 4125.
- Vijaykumar, N. V., & Naidu, G. J. (2015). Economic reforms brought about by micro finance training-a case study of Padarahalli village in Ramanagar Taluk. International Journal of Research in Management, Social Sciences & Technology, 10(10), 1-11.
- Vogelgesang, U. (2001). The impact of microfinance loans on the client's enterprises: Caja Los Andes, Bolivia. No. 2001-03. Post Graduate Program Allocation on Financial Markets, University of Mannheim.
- Wilfred, N. K., Max, A., Omeke, M., Norman, T., & Moses, N. (2013). The impact of microfine service delivery on the growth of SMEs in Uganda. Investment Climate and Business Environment Research Fund.
- Zeng, S. X., Xie, X. M., & Tam, C. M. (2010). The relationship between cooperation networks and innovation performance of SMEs. Technovation, 30(3), 181-194. https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.technovation