Shareholder's Involvement in the audit Committee, Audit Quality And Financial Reporting Lag in Nigeria
The purpose of the present study is twofold, to investigate the entrepreneurial intent of the university students, under consideration, and to chalk out with the factors (educational) to be considered for institutional support by the university under study. The Theory of Planned Behavior (TPB) questionnaire along with a separate sixteen items was administered in paper and pencil form only. Overall, 370 responses were collected from male & female both. The Data was analysed by applying correlations, linear and hierarchical regression and exploratory factor analysis (EFA). The results of the study reaffirm the theory of planned behaviour in Saudi context with a significant variance of 43.2 percent in explaining students' entrepreneurial intent. However, In the present case it is found that Both attitude and perceived behavioral control are the significant predictors of Entrepreneurial intent. While, the subjective norm did not significantly predict the entrepreneurial intent. Moreover, the findings suggest a four steps generic model of institutional educational support for entrepreneurial nurturement to the local community.(original abstract)
- Abbott, L. J, Parker, S. & Peters, G. P. (2004). Audit committee characteristics and restatement. Auditing: A Journal of Practice and Theory, 3(1), 69-87.
- Abdulmalik, S. O., & Ahmad, A. C. (2015). The effect of 2011 revised code of corporate governance on pricing behaviour of Nigerian auditors. European Financial and Accounting Journal, 10(4), 45-65.
- Abernathy, J. L., Beyer, B., Masli, A., & Stefaniak, C. (2014). The association between characteristics of audit committee accounting experts, audit committee chairs, and financial reporting timeliness. Advances in Accounting, 30(2), 283-297.
- Abidin, S., & Ahmad-Zaluki, N. A. (2012). Auditor industry specialism and reporting timeliness. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 65, 873-878.
- Adeyemo, K. A. (2012). Fraud in Nigerian banks: nature, deep-seated causes, aftermaths and probable remedies. Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences, 3(2), 279-290
- Afify, H. A. E. (2009). Determinants of audit report lag: does implementation of corporate governance have any impact? Applied Accounting Research, 10(1), 56-86
- Ahmed, M. I., & Che-Ahmad, A. (2016). Effects of corporate governance characteristics on audit report lags. International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, 6(7S).159-164
- Aier, J. K., Comprix, J., Gunlock, M. T., & Lee, D. (2005). The financial expertise of CFOs and accounting restatements. Accounting Horizons, 19(3), 123-135.
- Al-Ajmi, J. (2008). Audit and reporting delays: Evidence from an emerging market. Advances in Accounting, 24(2), 217-226.
- Alali, F. A., & Elder, R. J. (2014). Determinants of audit report lag in the banking industry: updated evidence. International Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Performance Evaluation, 10(4), 364-394.
- Alkhatib, K., & Marji, Q. (2012). Audit reports timeliness: empirical evidence from Jordan. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 62, 1342-1349.
- Apadore, K., & Noor, M. M. (2013). Determinants of audit report lag and corporate governance in Malaysia. International Journal of Business and Management, 8(15), 151
- Ashbaugh, H., LaFond, R., & Mayhew, B. W. (2003). Do nonaudit services compromise auditor independence? Further evidence. The Accounting Review, 78(3), 611-639.
- Aubert, F. (2009). Determinants of corporate financial reporting lag: The French empirical evidence, Journal of Accounting and Taxation, 1(3), 53-60
- Balsam, S., Krishnan, J. & Yang, J. S. (2003). Auditor industry specialization and earnings quality. Auditing: A Journal of Practice & Theory, 22(2), 71-97
- Bamber, E. M., Bamber, L. S., & Schoderbek, M. P. (1993). Audit structure and other determinants of audit report lag: An empirical analysis. Auditing, 12(1), 1-19
- Basioudis, I. G. (2007). Auditor's engagement risk and audit fees: The role of audit firm alumni. Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, 34(9-10), 1393-1422.
- Batson, N. (2003). Final report of Neal Batson, court-appointed examiner in re: Enron Corp.(Chapter 11 case no. 01-16034) (November).
- Bedard, J., Gendron, Y. (2010). Strengthening the financial reporting system: can audit committees deliver? International Journal of Auditing, 14(2), 174-210.
- Blankley, A. I., Hurtt, D. N., & MacGregor, J. E. (2014). The relationship between audit report lags and future restatements. Auditing: A Journal of Practice and Theory, 33(2), 27-57.
- Blue Ribbon Committee. (1999). Report and recommendations of the Blue Ribbon Committee on improving the effectiveness of corporate audit committees, NYSE and National Association of Securities Dealers.
- Breeden, R. C. (2003). Restoring trust. Report to the Honorable Jed S. Rakoff - The United States District Court for the Southern District of New York - on corporate governance for the future of MCI, Inc., August.
- Bromilow, C. (2010). Congratulations, you're the audit committee chair. Now what. NACD Directorship, 36(2), 36-37.
- Bushee, B. J. (1998). The influence of institutional investors on myopic R&D investment behavior. Accounting review, 305-333.
- Cadbury, A. (1992). Report of the committee on the financial aspects of corporate governance (Vol. 1). Gee.
- CAMA (1990). Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, CAP 59, Vol. III.
- Carcello, J. V., & Neal, T. L. (2003). Audit committee independence and disclosure: Choice for financially distressed firms. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 11(4), 289-299.
- Carcello, J. V., Hermanson, D.R. & Zhongxia, Y. (2011). Corporate governance research in accounting and auditing: insights, practice implications, and future research directions. Auditing: A Journal of Practice & Theory 30(3), 1-31.
- Carpenter, M. A. (2002). The implications of strategy and social context for the relationship between top management team heterogeneity and firm performance. Strategic Management Journal, 23(3), 275-284.
- Chambers, A. E., & Penman, S. H. (1984). Timeliness of reporting and the stock price reaction to earnings announcements. Journal of accounting research, 21-47.
- Chan, P., Ezzamel, M., and Gwilliam, D. (1993b). Determinants of audit fees for quoted UK companies. Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, 20(6), 765-786.
- Che-Ahmad, A., Abidin, S. (2009). Audit delay of listed companies; A case of Malaysia. International Business Research, 1(4), 32-39.
- Che-Ahmad, A., Houghton, K.A. (1996). Audit fee premiums to big eight firms: Evidence from the medium-size UK auditees. Journal of International Accounting, Auditing and Taxation, 5(1), 53-72.
- Choi, J. H., Kim, J. B., Liu, X., & Simunic, D. A. (2008). Audit pricing, legal liability regimes, and big4 premiums: Theory and cross-country evidence. Contemporary Accounting Research, 25(1), 55-99.
- Cohen, J. R., Hoitash, U., Krishnamoorthy, G., & Wright, A. M. (2013). The effect of audit committee industry expertise on monitoring the financial reporting process. The Accounting Review, 89(1), 243-273.
- Craswell, A., Francis, J. & Taylor. S. (1995) Auditor brand name reputations and industry specialization. Journal of Accounting and Economics 20(3), 297-322.
- De George, E. T., Ferguson, C. B., & Spear, N. A. (2012). How much does IFRS cost? IFRS adoption and audit fees. The Accounting Review, 88(2), 429-462.
- DeAngelo, L. (1981). Auditor independence, 'low balling' and disclosure regulation. Journal of Accounting and Economics, 3(2), 113-127.
- DeFond, M. L. (1992). The association between changes in client firm agency costs and auditor switching. Auditing: A Journal of Practice and Theory, 11(1), 16-31.
- DeZoort, F. T., Hermanson, D. R. & Houston, R. W. (2003). Audit committee support for auditors: The effects of materiality justification and accounting precision. Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, 22(2), 175-199.
- Dhaliwal, D., Naiker, V & Navissi, F (2010). The association between accruals quality and the characteristics of accounting experts and mix of expertise on audit committee. Contemporary Accounting Research, 27(3), 787-827.
- Dibia, N.O. & Onwuchekwa, J.C. (2013). An examination of the audit report lag of companies quoted in the Nigerian Stock Exchange. International Journal of Business and Social Research, 3(9), 8-16.
- Dibia, N.O. (2015). Audit expectations gap and perception of financial reporting. International Journal of Managerial Studies and Research, 3(3), 23-31
- Dou, Y., Hope, O. K., Thomas, W. B., & Zou, Y. (2013). Blockholder heterogeneity and financial reporting quality. Working paper, New York University, University of Torento, U of Oklahoma, and George Washington University.
- Eisenhardt, K. M. (1989). Agency theory: an assessment and review. Academy of management review, 14(1), 57-74.
- Elyasiani, E., Wen, Y., & Zhang, R. (2017). Institutional ownership and earning management by bank holding companies. Journal of Financial Research, 40(2), 147-178.
- Engel, E., Hayes, R. M., & Wang, X. (2010). Audit committee compensation and the demand for monitoring of the financial reporting process. Journal of Accounting and Economics,49(1), 136-154.
- Enofe, A. O., Aronmwan, E. J., & Abadua, H. S. (2013). Audit Committee Report in Corporate Financial Statements: Users' Perception in Nigeria. European Journal of Accounting Auditing and Finance Research, 1(1), 16-28
- Farber, D. B. (2005). Restoring trust after fraud: Does corporate governance matter? The Accounting Review, 80(2), 539-561
- Field, A. (2009). Discovering statistics using SPSS. London, Great Britain: Sage Publications Limited
- Financial Accounting Standard Board (FASB, 1980). Qualitative characteristics of accounting information. Statement of financial accounting concepts. No. 2. Stamford, CT: FASB
- Finkelstein, S. (1992). Power in top management teams: dimensions, measurement, and validation. Academy of Management Journal, 35(3), 505-538.
- Francis, J. R., & Wang, D. (2008). The joint effect of investor protection and Big4 audits on earnings quality around the world. Contemporary Accounting Research, 25(1), 157-191.
- Francis, J. R., & Wilson, E. R. (1988). Auditor changes: a joint test of theories relating to agency costs and auditor differentiation. Accounting Review, 63(4), 663-682.
- Gaver, J. J., Gaver, K. M., & Austin, J. R. (1995). Additional evidence on bonus plans and income management. Journal of Accounting and Economics, 19(1), 3-28.
- Gillan, S. L., & Starks, L. T. (2003). Institutional investors, corporate ownership and corporate governance: global perspectives. In Ownership and Governance of Enterprises (pp. 36-68). Palgrave Macmillan UK.
- Givoly, D. & Palmon, D. (1982). Timeliness of annual earnings announcements: Some empirical evidence. The Accounting Review, 57(3), 485-508.
- Greene, W. H. (2008). Econometric analysis (6th Ed.). New Jersey: Pearson Prentice Hall.
- Hambrick, D. C., & Mason, P. A. (1984). Upper echelons: The organization as a reflection of its top managers. Academy of Management Review, 9(2), 193-206.
- Hay, D. (2013). Further evidence from meta-analysis of audit fee research. International Journal of Auditing, 17(2), 162-176.
- Hillman, A. J., & Dalziel, T. (2003). Boards of directors and firm performance: Integrating agency and resource dependence perspectives. Academy of Management Review, 28(3), 383-396.
- Hoechle, D. (2007). Robust standard errors for panel regressions with cross-sectional dependence. Stata Journal, 7(3), 281.
- Ikpang, J. (2008). Nigerian capital market in 2008 and outlook for 2009. Business Day, December 31, 2008. Assessd 12th January, 2009
- Ilaboya, O. J. & Christian, I. (2014): Corporate governance and audit report lag inNigeria, International Journal of Humanities and Social Science. 4(13), 172-180
- Jaggi, B., & Tsui, J. (1999). Determinants of audit report lag: further evidence from Hong Kong. Accounting and Business Research, 30(1), 17-28.
- Jensen, M. C., & Meckling, W. H. (1976). Theory of the firm: managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure. Journal of Financial Economics, 3(4), 305-360.
- Jubb, C. A., Houghton, K. A., & Butterworth, S. (1996). Audit fee determinants: the plural nature of risk. Managerial Auditing Journal, 11(3), 25-40.
- Kalbers, L. P., & Fogarty, T. J. (1993). Audit committee effectiveness: An empirical investigation of the contribution of power. Auditing, 12(1), 1-16.
- Karamanou, I. & Vafeas, N. (2005) The association between corporate boards, audit committees, and management earnings forecasts: an empirical analysis. Journal of Accounting Research 43(3), 453-486
- Khalil M. & Ozkan, A. (2016). Board independence, audit quality and earnings management: evidence from Egypt. Journal of Emerging Market Finance 15(1), 84-118
- Khlif, H., & Samaha, K. (2014). Internal control quality, Egyptian standards on auditing and external audit delays: evidence from the Egyptian Stock Exchange. International Journal of Auditing, 18(2), 139-154.
- Kibiya, M. U., Che-Ahmad, A., & Amran, N. A. (2016). Audit committee independence, financial expertise, share ownership and financial reporting quality: further evidence from Nigeria. International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, 6(7S), 125-131
- Kim, H. J., & Yoon, S. S. (2016). The impact of corporate governance on earnings management in Korea. Malaysian Accounting Review, 7(1), 43-59
- Knechel, W.R., & Sharma, D. (2012). Auditor-provided non-audit services and audit effectiveness and efficiency: evidence from pre-and post-SOX audit report lags. Auditing: A Journal of Practice and Theory, 31(4), 85-114.
- Krishnan, G. V., & Visvanathan, G. (2007). Reporting internal control deficiencies in the post-sarbanes-oxley era: the role of auditors and corporate governance. International Journal of Auditing, 11(2), 73-90.
- Lavelle, L. (2002). The best and worst boards. Business Week, 3802: 104-114.
- Lee, H. Y., Mande, V., & Son, M. (2009). Do lengthy auditor tenure and the provision of non-audit services by the external auditor reduce audit report lags? International Journal of Auditing, 13(2), 87-104.
- Lennox, C.S. (1999). Audit quality and auditor size: an evaluation of reputation and deep pockets hypotheses. Journal of Business Finance and Accounting, 26(7-8), 779-805
- Leventis, S., Weetman, P., & Caramanis, C. (2005). Determinants of audit report lag: Some evidence from the Athens Stock Exchange. International Journal of Auditing, 9(1), 45-58.
- Lin, C.J., Lin, H.L., & Yen, A. R. (2014). Dual audit, audit firm independence, and auditor conservatism. Review of Accounting and Finance, 13(1), 65-87
- Liu, M. C., Tiras, S. L., & Zhuang, Z. (2014). Audit committee accounting expertise, expectations management, and nonnegative earnings surprises. Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, 33(2), 145-166.
- Mai Dao, T. P. (2014). Audit tenure, auditor specialization and audit report lag. Managerial Auditing Journal, 29(6), 490-512
- Mande, V., & Son, M. (2011). Do audit delays affect client retention?. Managerial Auditing Journal, 26(1), 32-50.
- Mangena, M., & Pike, R. (2005). The effect of audit committee shareholding, financial expertise and size on interim financial disclosures. Accounting and Business Research, 35(4), 327-349.
- Marra, A., Mazzola, P., & Prencipe, A. (2011). Board monitoring and earnings management pre-and post-IFRS. The International Journal of Accounting, 46(2), 205-230.
- Modugu, P. K., Eragbhe, E., & Ikhatua, O. J. (2012). Determinants of audit delay in Nigerian companies: empirical evidence. Research Journal of Finance and Accounting, 3(6), 46-55.
- Mohamed, D.M. & Habib, M.H. (2013). Auditor independence, audit quality and the mandatory auditor rotation in Egypt. Education, Business and Society: Contemporary Middle Eastern Issues, 6(2), 116-144
- Mollik, A. T., & Bepari, M. K. (2015). Risk-return trade-off in emerging markets: evidence from Dhaka Stock Exchange Bangladesh. Australasian Accounting, Business and Finance Journal, 9(1), 71-88.
- Naimi, M., Nor, M., Rohami, S., & Wan-Hussin, W. N. (2010). Corporate governance and audit report lag in Malaysia. Asian Academy of Management Journal of Accounting and Finance, 6(2), 57-84
- Nnadi S. G. (1999). The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria News-Making Audit Committee Effective. Quarterly journal of The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria Publication.
- Oliver, C. (1997). The influence of institutional and task environment relationships on organizational performance: The Canadian construction industry. Journal of Management Studies, 34(1), 99-124.
- Owusu-Ansah, S. (2012). Timeliness of corporate financial reporting in emerging capital markets: empirical evidence from the Zimbabwe Stock Exchange. Accounting and Business Research, 30(3), 241-254.
- Owusu-Ansah, S., & Leventis, S. (2006). Timeliness of corporate annual financial reporting in Greece. European Accounting Review, 15(2), 273-287.
- Palmrose, Z. V. (1986). Audit fees and auditor size: Further evidence. Journal of Accounting Research, 97-110.
- PricewaterhouseCoopers L. L. P. (2003). Audit committees: Good practices for meeting market expectations. 2nd Ed. Retrieved March 12, 2018 from http://www.pwc.com/
- PricewaterhouseCoopers, L. L. P. (2013). Analyst Note, Auto-facts, Look Mom, No Hands!. Feb 2013.
- Punch Newspapers (2015). Corporate governance and fraud cases in Nigeria banks. Retrieved March 12, 2018 from www.punchng.com/
- Ream, A.A.A., Rana, T.I.A. & Baker, A.A. (2011). Do audit tenure and firm size contribute to audit quality? Managerial Auditing Journal, 26(4), 317-334
- Rusmin, R., & Evans, J. (2017). Audit quality and audit report lag: case of Indonesian listed companies. Asian Review of Accounting, 25(2), 191-210.
- Schmidt, J., & Wilkins, M. S. (2012). Bringing darkness to light: The influence of auditor quality and audit committee expertise on the timeliness of financial statement restatement disclosures. Auditing: A Journal of Practice and Theory, 32(1), 221-244.
- Schwartz, K. B., & Soo, B. S. (1996). The association between auditor changes and reporting lags. Contemporary Accounting Research, 13(1), 353-370.
- Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC, 2011). Code of corporate governance for public companies in Nigeria.1-54, Abuja
- Sengupta, P. (2004). Disclosure timing: Determinants of quarterly earnings release dates. Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, 23(6), 457-482.
- Sharma, V., Naiker, V., & Lee, B. (2009). Determinants of audit committee meeting frequency: Evidence from a voluntary governance system. Accounting Horizons, 23(3), 245-263.
- Simunic, D. A. (1980). The pricing of audit services: Theory and evidence. Journal of Accounting Research, 18(1), 161-190.
- Simunic, D. A., & Stein, M. T. (1990). Audit risk in a client portfolio context. Contemporary Accounting Research, 6(2), 329-343.
- Srinivasan, S. (2005). Consequences of financial reporting failure for outside directors: Evidence from accounting restatements and audit committee members. Journal of Accounting Research, 43(2), 291-334.
- Sultana, N., Singh, H., der Zahn, V., & Mitchell, J. L. (2015). Audit committee characteristics and audit report lag. International Journal of Auditing, 19(2), 72-87.
- Sunusi, M. S. L. (2011). The impact of the global financial crisis on the Nigerian capital market and the reforms. 7th Annual Pearl Awards and Public Lectures. Muson Centre, Onikan, Lagos.
- Tanyi, P., Raghunandan, K., & Barua, A. (2010). Audit report lags after voluntary and involuntary auditor changes. Accounting Horizons, 24(4), 671-688.
- Udueni, H. (1999). Power dimensions in the board and outside director independence: Evidence from large industrial UK firms. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 7(1), 62-72.
- Vafeas, N. (2005). Audit committees, boards, and the quality of reported earnings. Contemporary Accounting research, 22(4), 1093-1122.
- World Bank (2011) Report on the observance of standards and codes (ROSC) Nigeria. Retrieved March 12, 2018 from http://www.worldbank.org/ifa/rosc_aa_nigeria_2011.pdf.
- Yaacob, N. M., & Che-Ahmad, A. (2011). IFRS adoption and audit timeliness: Evidence from Malaysia. The Journal of American Academy of Business, 17(1), 112-118.
- Yaacob, N. M., & Che-Ahmad, A. (2012). Audit fees after IFRS adoption: evidence from Malaysia. Eurasian Business Review, 2(1), 31-46.