FDI and Innovation in Central European Countries
The article analyses the impact of inward foreign direct investments on innovation in the Visegrad countries. Given the differences between theory- and empiricsbased studies, this paper takes a two-angle approach, i.e. establishment of heterogeneity of results within the literature and examination with own empirics. Empirics results show that inward FDI does impact the number of patent applications (our proxy for innovation), but this impact is negative, which may suggest that, for the analysed countries, inward FDI is a source of brain drain, i.e. foreign investors acquire host assets making them unavailable for local companies, and that FDI in these countries is more focused on imitation/adaptation of new ideas invented abroad than on innovations that can be patented. Interestingly, we also find no causal relationship toward patent applications from expenditures on research and development (R&D), which we assign to inefficiencies of the public spending on innovation.(original abstract)
- Ayyagari M., Kosova R. (2009), Does FDI Facilitate Domestic Entry? Evidence from the Czech Republic, [online] http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=891781, access date: 10th november 2013.
- Baesu V., Albulescu C. T., Farkas Z-B, Drăghici A. (2015), Determinants of the High-tech Sector Innovation Performance in the European Union: a Review, "Procedia Technology", Vol. 19.
- Banerjee A., Carrion-i-Silvestre J.L. (2006), Cointegration in Panel Data with Breaks and Cross-Section Dependence, "European Central Bank Working Paper Series", No. 591.
- Barrell R., Holland D. (2000), Foreign Direct Investment and Enterprise Restructuring in Central Europe, "Economics of Transition", Vol. 8, No. 2.
- Branstetter L. (2006), Is Foreign Direct Investment a Channel of Knowledge Spillovers? Evidence from Japan's FDI in the United States, "Journal of International Economics", Vol. 68, No. 2.
- Cabrilo S., Nesic L.G., Mitrovic S. (2014), Study On Human Capital Gaps for Effective Innovation Strategies in the Knowledge Era, "Journal of Intellectual Capital", Vol. 15, No. 3.
- Crescenzi R., Gagliardi L., Iammarino S. (2015), Foreign Multinationals and Domestic Innovation: Intra-industry Effects and firm Heterogeneity, "Research Policy", Vol. 44, No. 3.
- Damijan J.P., Rojec M., Majcen B., Knell M. (2013), Impact of Firm Heterogeneity on Direct and Spillover Effects of FDI: Micro-evidence from Ten Transition Countries, "Journal of Comparative Economics", Vol. 41, No. 3.
- Djankov S., Hoekman B. (1999), Foreign Investment and Productivity Growth in Czech Republic, "Policy Research Working Paper", No. 2115, The World Bank Development Research Group, Washington.
- Dunning J.H., Narula R. (2004), Multinational and Industrial Competitiveness: A New Agenda, Edward Elgar, Cheltenham.
- Dunning J.H., Lundan S.M. (2008), Multinational Enterprises and the Global Economy, Edward Elgar, Cheltenham.
- ECR (2012), European Competitiveness Report 2012. Reaping the Benefits of Globalization, [online] http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/policies/industrial-competitiveness/ competitiveness-analysis/european-competitiveness-report/files/ecr2012_full_ en.pdf, access date: 5th October 2014.
- Erdal L., Göçer İ. (2015), The Effects of Foreign Direct Investment on R&D and Innovations: Panel Data Analysis for Developing Asian Countries, "Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences", Vol. 195.
- Eurostat (2016), Eurostat Data, [online] http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/, access date: 20th April 2016.
- García F., Byungchae J., Salomon R. (2013), Does Inward Foreign Direct Investment Improve the Innovative Performance of Local Firms?, "Research Policy", Vol. 42, No. 1.
- González X., Jaumandreu J., Pazó C. (2005), Barriers to innovation and subsidy effectiveness, "The RAND Journal of Economics", Vol. 36, No. 4.
- Gorynia M. (ed.) (2005), Strategie firm polskich wobec ekspansji inwestorów zagranicznych, PWE, Warsaw.
- Hsu J., Chuang Y-P. (2014), International Technology Spillovers and Innovation: Evidence from Taiwanese High-tech Firms, "The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development", Vol. 23.
- Ietto-Gillies G. (2005), Transnational Corporations and International Production. Edward Elgar, Cheltenham.
- Johansson B., Lööf, H. (2005), FDI Inflows to Sweden. Consequences for Innovation and Renewal, "CESIS Electronic Working Paper Series", No. 36.
- Kao Ch. (1999), Spurious Regression and Residual-based Tests for Cointegration in Panel Data, "Journal of Econometrics", Vol. 90, No. 1.
- Keller W. (2009), International Trade, Foreign Direct Investment, and Technology Spillovers, "National Bureau of Economic Research Working Papers", No. 15442.
- Kinoshita Y. (2000), R&D and Technology Spillovers via FDI: Innovation and Absorptive Capacity, "William Davidson Institute Working Paper", No. 349.
- Konings J. (2000), The Effect of Direct Foreign Investment on Domestic Firms: Evidence from Firm Level Panel Data in Emerging Economies, "William Davidson Institute Working Paper", No. 344.
- Kuzel M. (2007), Rola bezpośrednich inwestycji zagranicznych w dyfuzji wiedzy i umiejętności na przykładzie gospodarki Polski, Wydawnictwo Dom Organizatora, Toruń.
- Li J., Chen D., Shapiro D.M. (2013), FDI Spillovers at the National and Subnational Level: The Impact on Product Innovation by Chinese Firms, "Management and Organization Review", Vol. 9, No. 3.
- Lipsey R.E. (2002), Home and Host Country Effects of FDI, "National Bureau of Economic Research Working Paper", No. 9293.
- Lipsey R.E. (2006), Measuring the Impacts of FDI in Central and Eastern Europe, "National Bureau of Economic Research Working Paper", No. 12808.
- Mariz-Pérez R.M., Teijeiro-Álvarez M.M., García-Álvarez M.T. (2012), The Importance of Human Capital in Innovation: A System of Indicators [in:] Gil-Lafuente, A.M., Gil-Lafuente, J. and Merigó-Lindahl, J.M. (eds.), Soft Computing in Management and Business Economics, Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg.
- Maszczyk P. (2016), Institutional Changes and Their Impact on the Polish Economy from 2005 to 2015 [in:] M. A. Weresa (ed.), Poland. Competitiveness Report 2016. The Role of Economic Policy and Institutions, Oficyna Wydawnicza SGH, Warsaw.
- McGuirk H., Lenihan H., Hart M. (2015), Measuring the Impact of Innovative Human Capital on Small Firms' Propensity to Innovative, "Research Policy", Vol. 44, No. 4.
- McGrattan E.R. (2011), Transition to FDI Openness: Reconciling Theory and Evidence, "National Bureau of Economic Research Working Paper", No. 16774.
- Melnyk L., Kubatko O., Pysarenko S. (2014), The Impact of Foreign Direct Investment on Economic Growth: Case of Post Communism Transition Economies, "Problems and Perspectives in Management", Vol. 12, No. 1.
- Napiórkowski T.M. (2014), The Impact of Poland's Accession to the European Union on the Country's Foreign Direct Investment [in:] "Poland Competitiveness Report 2014. A decade in the European Union", ed. Marzenna Anna Weresa, Warsaw School of Economics Press, Warsaw.
- Narula R. (2011), Attracting and Embedding R & D in Multinational Firms: Policy Options for EU New Member States [in:] S. Radosevic, A. Kaderabkova (eds.), Challenges for European Innovation Policy, Edward Elgar, Cheltenham.
- Narula R., Pineli A. (2016), Multinational Enterprises and Economic Development in Host Countries: What We Know and What We Don't Know, "UNU-MERIT Working Papers", No. 2016-020.
- OECD (2015), OECD Data, [online] https://data.oecd.org/, access date: 25th April 2015.
- Ozawa T. (1979), International Investment and Industrial Structure: New Theoretical Implications from the Japanese Experience, "Oxford Economic Papers, New Series", Vol. 31, No. 1.
- Pedroni, P. (1999), Critical Values for Cointegration Tests in Heterogeneous Panels with Multiple Regressors, "Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics", Vol. 0305-9049.
- Radosevic S., Kaderabkova A. (eds.) (2011), Challenges for European Innovation Policy, Edward Elgar, Cheltenham.
- Schneider P.H. (2005), International Trade, Economic Growth and Intellectual Property Rights: A Panel Data Study of Developed and Developing Countries, "Journal of Development Economics", Vol. 78, No. 2.
- Smarzynska-Javorcik B. (2004), Does Foreign Direct Investment Increases the Productivity of Domestic Firms? In Search of Spillovers through Backward Linkages, "American Economic Review", Vol. 94, No. 3.
- Smarzynska-Javorcik B., Spatareanu M. (2008), To Share or Not To Share: Does Local Participation Matter for Spillovers from Foreign Direct Investment?, "Journal of Development Economics", Vol. 85, No. 1-2.
- Stiebale J., Reize F. (2011), The Impact of FDI through Mergers and Acquisitions on Innovation in Target Firms, "International Journal of Industrial Organization", Vol. 29, No. 2.
- Telatar O.M., Gnec M.C., Keser H.Y., Ay S., Deger M.K. (2014), The Causality Relationship between FDI and R&D in European Union, "Journal of Economic and Social Development", Vol. 1, No. 1.
- UNCTAD (2013), World Investment Report 2013. Global Value Chains: Investment and Trade for Development, [online] http://unctad.org/en/PublicationsLibrary/wir2013_ en.pdf, access date: 14th April 2015.
- UNCTAD (2015), UNCTADSTAT, [online] http://unctadstat.unctad.org/wds/ReportFolders/reportFolders.aspx?sRF_ActivePath=P,5,27&sRF_Expanded=,P,5,27, access date: 15th April 2015.
- Vahter P. (2010), Does FDI Spur Innovation, Productivity and Knowledge Sourcing by Incumbent Firms? Evidence from Manufacturing Industry in Estonia, "William Davidson Institute Working Paper", No. 986.
- Wang D.T., Gu F.F., Tse D.K., Yim C.K. (2013), When Does FDI Matter? The Roles of Local Institutions and Ethnic Origins of FDI, "International Business Review", Vol. 22, No. 2.
- Wang C.C., Wu A. (2016), Geographical FDI knowledge spillover and innovation of indigenous firms in China, "International Business Review", Vol. 25, No. 4.
- Watanabe Ch., Tsuji Y.S., Griffy-Brown Ch. (2001), Patent Statistics: Deciphering a "Real" versus a "Pseudo" Proxy of Innovation, "Technovation", Vol. 21, No. 12.
- Weresa M.A. (ed.) (2011), Poland. Competitiveness Report 2011, Oficyna Wydawnicza SGH, Warsaw.
- WIPO (2015), WIPO IP Statistics Data Centre, [online] http://ipstats.wipo.int/ipstatv2/ index.htm?tab=patent, access date: 14th July 2015.
- Wooldridge J.M. (2009), Introductory Econometrics, South-Western CENGAGE Learning, Mason.
- Wooldridge J.M. (2010), Econometric Analysis of Cross Section and Panel Data, MIT Press, Cambridge.
- World Bank. (2015), World Development Indicators, [online] http://databank.worldbank.org/data/reports.aspx?source=world-development-indicators, access date: 14th July 2015.
- Zemplinerová A., Hromádková E. (2012), Determinants of Firm's Innovation,"Prague Economic Papers", Vol. 21, No. 4.
- Zhang K.H. (2014), How Does Foreign Direct Investment Affect Industrial Competitiveness? Evidence from China, "China Economic Review", Vol. 30.