North American Free Trade Agreement under Trump Presidency - Current Situation and Prospects
North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) was established over twenty years ago as a pact between countries on a different level of economic development and in diverse social situation. Since then, trilateral cooperation has been evolving. Perspectives for NAFTA are uncertain as president Trump who took office at the beginning of 2017 postulates to renegotiate it or, in case of not fulfilling their expectations, to terminate it. The aim of the article is to present relations between the U.S. and other NAFTA members under Trump administration, in particular asses actual actions taken against its partners and possible scenarios for future cooperation. (original abstract)
- Anastakis D. (2005), Auto Pact: Creating a Borderless North American Auto Industry, 1960-1971, University of Toronto Press, Toronto.
- Arce H.M. et al. (2003), The Impact of Trade Agreements: Effect of the Tokyo Round, U.S.-Israel FTA, U.S.-Canada FTA, NAFTA, and the Uruguay Round on the U.S. Economy, U.S. International Trade Commission, Washington.
- De La Cruz J., Riker D. (2014), The Impact of NAFTA on U.S. Labor Markets, U.S. International Trade Commission, "Working Paper", No. 2014-06A, Washington.
- Dye J. (2017), US hits Bombardier with anti-dumping duties after Boeing petition, "Financial Times", [online] https://www.ft.com/content/38cc9930-4c09-3a71-93b2-acf534d630e8, access date: 15th October 2017.
- Emrath P. (2017), Impact of the Duty on Canadian Lumber Announced April 25, National Association of Home Builders Discusses Economics and Housing Policy, [online] http:// eyeonhousing.org/2017/04/impact-of-the-duty-on-canadian-lumber-announcedapril-25/?_ga=2.30840959.1978412939.1507728715-1607412513.1507728715, access date: 10th October 2017.
- Financial Times (2017), Canada and Mexico play defence on Nafta's future, [online] https:// www.ft.com/content/277ccf92-834c-11e7-a4ce-15b2513cb3ff, access date: 27th September 2017.
- Flannery N. P. (2017), Is Donald Trump Right About NAFTA?, "Forbes", 28th September.
- Fuss M., Waverman L. (1986), The Canada-U.S. Auto Pact of 1965: An Experiment in Selective Trade Liberalization, "NBER Working Paper Series", Working Paper, No. 1953, Cambridge.
- Gandel S. (2016), Donald Trump Says NAFTA Was the Worst Trade Deal the U.S. Ever Signed, "Fortune", 27th September.
- Gillespie P. (2017), Trump playing "bad cop" in NAFTA negotiations, "CNN Money", [online] http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/23/news/economy/trump-nafta-arizona/index. html, access date: 2th October 2017.
- Gupta A. (2016), Could Trump Really Make Mexico Pay For The Wall?, "Forbes", 9th March.
- Holmes J. (2004), The Auto Pact from 1965 to the CUSFTA [in:] M. Irish (ed.), The Auto Pact: Investment, Labour and the WTO, Kluwer Law International, Hague.
- Hoover K., Fergusson I.F. (2017), Softwood Lumber Imports From Canada: Current Issues, Congressional Research Service, Washington.
- Khachaturian T. et al. (2016), Economic Impact of Trade Agreements Implemented Under Trade Authorities Procedures, U.S. International Trade Commission, Washington.
- Lee D. (2017), Why Trump's threat to withdraw from NAFTA is an empty one, "Los Angeles Times", 30th August 2017.
- Lester S., Manak I., Ikenson D. (2017), Renegotiating NAFTA in the Era of Trump: Keeping the Trade Liberalization In and the Protectionism Out, "Cato Working Paper", No. 46, Washington.
- McLaren J., Hakobyan S. (2010), Looking for Local Labor-Market Effects of the NAFTA, "NBER Working Paper", No. 16535, Cambridge.
- Meyer-Robinson R. (2017), Canada's Wood Products Industry: Industrial Outlook Spring 2017, The Conference Board of Canada, Ottawa.
- Mark M. (2017), Here's what's behind the US-Canada dairy spat that has Chuck Schumer agreeing with Trump, "Business Insider", 22nd April.
- Phillip A. (2017), Trump signs "Buy American, Hire American" executive order, promising to fight for American workers, "The Washington Post", 18th April.
- Polek G. (2017), Boeing Charges Bombardier with "Dumping" C Series into U.S., "AIN Publications", [online] https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/air-transport/2017-04-28/boeing-charges-bombardier-dumping-c-series-us, access date: 15th October 2017.
- Puls Biznesu (2017), Kanada broni swój przemysł drzewny, [online] https://www.pb.pl/ kanada-broni-swoj-przemysl-drzewny-863262, access date: 27th September 2017.
- Robertson L. (2017), The U.S.-Canada Dairy Dispute, "Fact Check Organization", [online] http://www.factcheck.org/2017/04/u-s-canada-dairy-dispute/, access date: 5th October 2017.
- Scott A. (2017), U.S. backs 300 percent in duties on Bombardier after Boeing complaint, "Reuters", [online] https://www.reuters.com/article/us-boeing-bombardiercommerce/u-s-backs-300-percent-in-duties-on-bombardier-after-boeing-complaintidUSKBN1CB29X, date of access: 10th October 2017.
- Thiessen M.A. (2017), Yes, Trump can make Mexico pay for the border wall. Here's how, "The Washington Post", 17th January.
- Villarreal M.A., Fergusson I.F. (2017), The North American Free Trade Agreement, Congressional Research Service, Washington.