Determinants of the State Railway of Thailand's (SRT) Total Quality Management Process: SEM analysis
Dropping from the peak of 88 million passengers back in 1994, Thailand's state railway system today is transporting less than 50% of its maximum. Operations run at a loss, with infrastructure and aged equipment contributing to significant delays and a continuing loss of passengers. In late 2017 however, a new 20-year, $US81.57 billion plan was proposed to save the SRT from its downward spiral. The researchers therefore undertook a study to survey 500 Thai state railway (SRT) civil servants. Each was given a 5-level Likert-type agreement scale questionnaire, containing 51 items concerning their personal characteristics, their attitudes, human resource management processes, the use of the balanced scorecard for improvement, their perspectives on SRT's organizational culture, and the SRT's total quality management program. LISREL 9.1 was used to conduct a confirmatory factor analysis (CFA) and then structural equation model (SEM) was applied to analyze the results. The results have determined that organizational culture had the greatest impact on total quality management, followed by attitudes, human resource management, and finally, the balanced scorecard. It is also interesting to note that the surveyed SRT staff consider organizational change as the most important aspect in improving efficiency, while staff evaluation and reward system were rated as least effective for total quality management. (original abstract)
- Andre, T. (2017). Advances in human factors in training, education, and learning sciences. Proceedings of the AHFE 2017 International Conference on Human Factors in Training, Education, and Learning Sciences, Los Angeles, California.
- Andrle, S. J. (1994). Total quality management in public transportation. Transit Cooperative Research Program, Federal Transit Administration. Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/ybqeec8z
- Arnold, J., Cooper, C., & Robertson, I. (1995). Work psychology: Understanding human behaviour in the workplace. London, UK: Pitman Publishing.
- Asian Development Bank. (2014). Thailand: Improvement of Railway Passenger Services. Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/zgpg7ml
- Berson, Y., & Linton, J. (2005). An examination of the relationships between leadership behavior, and employee satisfaction in R&D versus administrative environments. R & D Management, 35, 51-60. doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9310.2005.00371.x
- Best, J. W., & Kahn, J. V. (2003). Research in education (9th ed.). Boston, MA: Allyn and Bacon.
- Bradberry, T. (2014, January 9). Emotional Intelligence - EQ. Forbes Online. Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/ybbqwtqx
- Byrne, B. M., Shavelson, R. J., & Muthén, B. (1989). Testing for the equivalence of factor covariance and mean structures: The issue of partial measurement invariance. Psychological Bulletin, 105, 456-466. Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/jjxcxb6
- Cameron, K. S., & Quinn, R. E. (2006). Diagnosing and changing organizational culture: Based on the competing values framework. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Carmeli, A. (2003). The relationship between emotional intelligence and work attitudes, behavior and outcomes. Journal of Managerial Psychology, 18(8), 788 - 813. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/02683940310511881
- Chen, F., Curran, P. J., Bollen, K. A., Kirby, J., & Paxton, P. (2008). An empirical evaluation of the use of fixed cutoff points in RMSEA test statistic in structural equation models. Social Methods Research, 36(4), 462 - 494. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0049124108314720
- Deal, T. E., & Kennedy, A. A. (2000). Corporate cultures: The rites and rituals of corporate life. New York, NY: Perseus Publishing.
- Dechawatanapaisal, D. (2005). HRM as enablers of learning work behaviour: Perspectives from Thai ICT professionals. Research and Practice in Human Resource Management, 13(1), 30 - 45. Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/h4e3qad
- Dellana, S. A., & Hauser, R.D. (1991). Toward defining the quality culture. Engineering Management Journal, 11(2), 11- 15. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10429247.1999.11415022
- Denison, D. (1990). Corporate culture and organizational effectiveness. New York, NY: Wiley.
- Deshpande, R., Farley, J. U., & Webster, Jr., F. E. (1993). Corporate culture, Customer orientation, and innovativeness in Japanese firms: A quadrad analysis. The Journal of Marketing, 57(1), 23-37. doi: https://doi.org/10.2307/1252055
- Economist Intelligence Unit. (2013). Challenges for human resource management and global business strategy. Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/jm63mc3
- Evans, J. R. (2005). Total quality management, organization, and strategy. Nashville, TN: South-Western College Pub.
- Fan, Y., Chen, J., Shirkey, G., John, R., Wu, S. R., Park, H., & Shao, C. (2016). Applications of structural equation modeling (SEM) in ecological studies: an updated review. Ecological Processes, 5(19). doi: https://doi.org/10.1186/s13717-016-0063-3
- Ferreira, A. I., & Hill, M. M. (2008). Organisational cultures in public and private Portuguese Universities: A case study. Higher Education, 55(6), 637-650. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10734-007-9080-6
- Free bus, train services replaced with welfare-card system (2017, November 1). The Nation. Retrieved from https://tinyurl.com/y9wqnspo
- Ganjanakhundee, S. (2015) Rail plan may serve China's interests more than Thailand's. The Nation. Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/gq5ubu7
- George, D., & Mallery, P. (2010). SPSS for Windows step by step: A simple guide and reference 17.0 Update (10th Ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson.
- Gimenez-Espin, J. A., Jiménez-Jiménez, D., & Martínez-Costa, M. (2013). Organizational culture for total quality management. Total Quality Management & Business Excellence, 24(5-6), 678-692. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14783363.2012.707409
- Hair, J. F., Hult, G. T. M., Ringle, C. & Sarstedt, M. (2016). A primer on partial least squares structural equation modeling (PLS-SEM). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Harre, R., & Secord, P. (1973). The explanation of social bahaviour. Totowa, NJ: Littlefield, Adams.
- Hooper, D., Coughlan, J., & Mullen, M. (2008). Structural equation modelling: Guidelines for determining model fit. Electronic Journal of Business Research Methods, 6(1), 53-60. Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/zyd6od2
- Hu, L. T., & Bentler, P. M. (1999). Cutoff criteria for fit indexes in covariance structure analysis: Conventional criteria versus new alternatives. Structural Equation Modeling, 6(1), 1-55. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10705519909540118
- Jöreskog, K. G., Olsson, U. H., & Fan, Y. W. (2016). Multivariate analysis with LISREL. Berlin, Germany: Springer.
- Kaplan, R. S., & Norton, D. P. (1992). The balanced scorecard-Measures that drive performance. Harvard Business Review, January-February. Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/yapt88ym
- Kaplan, R. S., & Norton, D. P. (2001). Transforming the balanced scorecard from performance measurement to strategic management. Part I. Accounting Horizons, 15(1), 87-104. doi: https://doi.org/10.2308/acch.2001.15.1.87
- Katou, A. A. (2012). Investigating reverse causality between human resource management policies and organizational performance in small firms. Management Research Review, 35(2), 134-156. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/01409171211195161
- Kenny, D. A., & McCoach, D. B. (2003). Effect of the number of variables on measures of fit in structural equation modeling. Structural Equation Modeling, 10(3), 333-51. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1207/S15328007SEM1003_1
- Mahitthirook, A. (2017, February 25). Airport link plans to add 15 carriages. Bangkok Post. Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/ycvry6o2
- Mansouri, N., & Goher, K. (2016). Leading different dimensions of organization performance through human resource management practices. International Journal of Human Resource Studies, 6(4), 54 - 66. Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/zx5djck
- Mertler, C. A. (2016). Introduction to Educational Research. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Nigro, F, A., & Nigro, L. G. (1984). Modern Public Administration. New York, NY: Harper and Row.
- Oladapo, V. (2014). The impact of talent management on retention. Journal of Business Studies Quarterly, 5(3), 19 - 36. Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/ja5mr8s
- Prajogo, D. I., & McDermott, C. M. (2005). The relationship between total quality management practices and organizational culture. International Journal of Operations & Production Management, 25, 11, 1101- 1122. doi: https://doi.org/10.1108/01443570510626916
- Quinn R. E., & Rohrbaugh J. (1983). A spatial model of effectiveness criteria: Towards a competing values approach to organizational analysis. Management Science, 29(3), 363-377. doi: https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.29.3.363
- Quinn R. E. (1988). Beyond rational management: Mastering the paradoxes and competing demands of high performance. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Rasch, G. (1980). Probabilistic models for some intelligence and attainment tests. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press.
- Reeve, E. M. (2016). 21st century skills needed by students in technical and vocational education and training (TVET). Asian International Journal of Social Sciences, 16(4), 65 - 82. doi: https://doi.org/10.29139/aijss.20160404
- Smith, K. (2017, September 25). Thailand unveils $US 81bn rail development plan. International Railway Journal. Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/y7elaxkv
- Soderberg, M., Kalagnanam, S., Sheehan, N. T., & Vaidyanathan, G. (2011). When is a balanced scorecard a balanced scorecard? International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management, 60(7), 688-708. doi: https://doi.org/10.1108/17410401111167780
- Sornsaruht, P., & Deebhijarn, S. (2016). Free train transportation in Thailand: A financial SWOT analysis on its social impact. Asian International Journal of Social Sciences, 16(1), 11 - 33. doi: https://doi.org/10.29139/aijss.20160102
- Srimalee, S. (2017, January 6). Infrastructure plan to change logistics landscape, boost property developers. The Nation. Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/yd2e3u27
- Tannenbaum, N. (2014, September 18). Leadership challenge: Creating a collaborative organizational culture. UNC Kenan-Flagler Business School. Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/y7mydbyo
- Tansawat, T., Kanitpong, K., Kishi, K., Utainarumol, S., & Jiwattanakulpaisarn, P. (2015). The impact of public transport subsidy on social inclusion: The case of free train policy in Thailand. Journal of the Eastern Asia Society for Transportation Studies, 11, 2558-2574. http://doi.org/10.11175/easts.11.2558
- Tavakol, M., & Dennick, R. (2011). Making sense of Cronbach's alpha. International Journal of Medical Education, 2, 53 - 55. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.5116/ijme.4dfb.8dfd
- ThaiPBS. (2018, February 17). Govt urged to ease hiring freeze on SRT to solve train driver shortage. Retrieved from https://tinyurl.com/ybdhl2tq
- Tsai, Y. (2011). Relationship between organizational culture, leadership behavior and job satisfaction. BMC Health Services Research, 11, 98. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1472-6963-11-98
- Tseng, Y-y., Yue, W. L., & Taylor, M. A. P. (2005). The role of transportation in logistics chain. Proceedings of the Eastern Asia Society for Transportation Studies, 5, 1657 - 1672. Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/ycm4m632
- Ullman, J. B. (2001). Structural equation modeling. In B. G. Tabachnick & L. S. Fidell (Eds.). Using Multivariate Statistics (4th ed.). Needham Heights, MA: Allyn and Bacon.
- Wong, K.K-K (2013). Partial least squares structural equation modeling (PLS-SEM) techniques using SmartPLS. Marketing Bulletin, 24. Retrieved from http://tinyurl.com/ybw7xvr3
- Zu, X., Robbins, T. L., & Fredendall, L. D. (2009). Mapping the critical links between organizational culture and TQM/Six Sigma practices, International Journal of Production Economics, 123(1), 86-106. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2009.07.009