The Role of Foreign Direct Investment in Economic Growth : the Production Function Perspective
Throughout the studies on the impact of foreign direct investment (FDI) on the economic growth of the host economy, there is a significant heterogeneity in terms of the results; not only between the theory and empirics, but also within empirics itself. The aim of this study is to explain the heterogeneity of results of the previous studies on the benefits of hosting FDI. This work uses the topic-relevant literature to present the key benefits of inward FDI, which are then translated into a mathematical model, which the direct and indirect benefits are derived from and differentiated between. Firstly, this work develops a production function including the key direct and indirect effects of hosting FDI in order to (through the proof of endogenization of FDI) show that a simple inclusion of FDI as the next (usually along with capital and labor) factor of growth may lead to spurious and, therefore, inconsistent results. Secondly, the study introduces the Foreign Direct Investment Benefits Absorption Path, which due to its classification of host economies into four distinctive groups, differentiating between direct and indirect benefits of FDI, and showing their different ways of impacting the hosfs economy provides a unique insight into the topic of heterogeneity of results on the impact of hosting FDI. It also provides a blueprint for further research into this topic. Lastly, the Foreign Direct Investment Benefits Absorption Path is used to develop FDI-related strategies aimed at increasing the economic growth of host countries. (original abstract)
- Aghion P., Howitt P., 1992, A Model of Growth through Creative Destruction, "Econometrica", No. 60, doi:10.3386/w3223.
- Ahmed K., Ghani T., Gairuzazmi M., Noorihsan M., Derus A.M., 2015, Does Inward FDI Crowd-out Domestic Investment? Evidence from Uganda, "Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences", No. 172, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2015.01.395.
- Alfaro L., 2003, Foreign Direct Investment and Growth: Does the Sector Matter? "Semanic Scholar", https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/7800/b094ee3c677a2b729345eeb0 5c696ed9a2e0.pdf? _ga=2.255193096.1432754311.1519326826-126121812.1470 476307 (date of access: 14.06.2016).
- Azam M., Ahmed A.M., 2015, Role of Human Capital and Foreign Direct Investment in Promoting Economic Growth, "International Journal of Social Economics", No. 42, https://doi.org/10.1108/IJSE-05-2014-0092.
- Blomström M., Kokko A., 2003, The Economics of Foreign Direct Investment Incentives, "National Bureau of Economic Research", Working Paper, No. 9489.
- Blomström M., Sjöholm F., 1999, Technology Transfer and Spillovers: Does Local Participation with Multinationals Matter?, "European Economic Review", No. 43, https://doi.org/10.1016/S0014-2921(98)00104-4.
- Borensztein E., De Gregorio J., Lee J-W., 1998, How Does Foreign Direct Investment Affect Economic Growth, "Journal of International Economics", No. 45, https://doi.org/ 10.1016/S0022-1996(97) 00033-0.
- Branstetter L., 2006, Is foreign direct investment a channel of knowledge spillovers? Evidence from Japan's FDI in the United States, "Journal of International Economics", No. 68, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jinteco.2005.06.006.
- Burda M.C., Severgnini B., 2014, Solow Residual Without Capital Stock, "Journal of Development Economics", No. 109, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdeveco.2014.03.007.
- Carkovic M.V., Levine R., 2002, Does Foreign Direct Investment Accelerate Economic Growth, Univeristy of Minnestora Department of Finance Working Paper, http://siteresources.worldbank.org/INTFR/Resources/fdi.pdf (date of access: 14.06.2016).
- Damijan J.P., Rojec M., Majcen B., Knell M., 2013, Impact of Firm Heterogeneity on Direct and Spillover Effects of FDI: Micro-evidence from Ten Transition Countries, "Journal of Comparative Economics", No. 41, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jce.2012.12.001.
- Damijan J.P., Kostevc C., 2011, Trade Liberalisation and Economic Geography in CEE Countries: the Role of FDI in the Adjustment Pattern of Regional Wages, "Post Communist Economies", No. 23, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14631377.2011.570041.
- Fatima S.T., 2016, Productivity Spillovers from Foreign Direct Investment: Evidence from Turkish Micro-level Data, "The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development", No. 25, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09638199.2015.1050057.
- Farla K., De Crombrugghe D., Varspagen B., 2016, Institutions, Foreign Direct Investment, and Domestic Investment: Crowding Out or Crowding In?, "World Development", No. 88, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.worlddev.2014.04.008.
- Heyman F., Sjöholm F., Tingvall P.G., 2007, Is There Really a Foreign Ownership Wage Premium? Evidence from Matched Employer-Employee Data, "Journal of International Economics", nr 73, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jinteco.2007.04.003.
- Iamsiraroj S., 2016, The Foreign Direct Investment-Economic Growth Nexus, "International Review of Economics and Finance", No. 42, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.iref.2015. 10.044.
- Iamsiraroj S., Ulubaoglu M.A., 2015, Foreign Direct Investment and Economic Growth: A Real Relationship or Wishful Thinking?, "Economic Modelling", No. 51, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.econmod.2015.08.009.
- Javorcik B.S., 2015, Does FDI Bring Good Jobs to Host Countries?, "World Bank Research Observer", No. 30.
- Keller W., 2009, International Trade, Foreign Direct Investment, and Technology Spillovers, "National Bureau of Economic Research", Working Paper 15442.
- Kornecki L., 2008, Foreign Direct Investment and Macroeconomic Changers in CEE Integrating into the Global Market, "Investment and Management and Financial Innovations", No. 5.
- Kuskowski P., Sadowski J., Strojny M., 2010, 20 Years of American Investment in Poland, American Chamber of Commerce in Poland, KPMG Sp. z o.o.
- Lipsey R.E., 2002, Home and Host Country Effects of FDI, "National Bureau of Economic Research", Working Paper 9293.
- Liu W.S., Agbola F.W., Dzator J.A., 2016, The Impact of FDI Spillovers Effects on Total factor Productivity in the Chinese Electronic Industry: a Panel Data Analysis, "Journal of the Asia Pacific Economy", nr 21, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13547860.2015. 1137473.
- McGrattan E.R., 2011, Transition to FDI Openness: Reconciling Theory and Evidence, "National Bureau of Economic Research", Working Paper 16774.
- Morrissey O., Udomkerdmongkol M., 2016, Response to Institutions, Foreign Direct Investment, and Domestic Investment: Crowding Out or Crowding In?, "World Development", No. 88, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.worlddev.2016.08.001.
- Morrissey O., Udomkerdmongkol M., 2012, Governance, Private Investment and Foreign Direct Investment in Developing Countries, "World Development", No. 40, https://doi.org/ 10.1016/j.worlddev.2011.07.004.
- Munteanu A-C., 2016, Knowledge Spillovers of FDI, "Procedia Economics and Finance", No. 32, https://doi.org/10.1016/S2212-5671(15)01573-7.
- Nair-Reichert U., Weinhold D., 2001, Causality Test for Cross-Country Panels: New Look at FDI and Economic Growth in Developing Countries, "Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics", No. 63, DOI: 10.1111/1468-0084.00214.
- Nölke A., Vliegenthart A., 2009, Enlarging the Varieties of Capitalism: The Emergence of Dependent Market Economies in East Central Europe, "World Politics", No. 61, DOI: http://www.jstor.org/stable/40263536.
- Nunnenkamp P., 2002, To What Extent Can Foreign Direct Investment Help Achieve International Development Goals?, "Kiel Institute of World Economics", Kiel Working Paper 1128.
- Pilbeam K., Oboleviciute N., 2012, Does Foreign Direct Investment Crowd In or Crowd Out Domestic Investment? Evidence from the European Union, "The Journal of Economic Asymmetries", No. 9, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jeca.2012.01.005.
- Popescu G.H., 2014, FDI and Economic Growth in Central and Eastern Europe, "Sustain-ability", No. 6, DOI: 10.3390/su6118149.
- Romer D., 2001, Advanced Macroeconomics, McGraw-Hill/Irwin, New York.
- Romer P.M., 1990, Endogenous Technological Change, "Journal of Political Economy", No. 98.
- Solow R.M., 1956, A contribution to the theory of economic growth, "The Quarterly Journal of Economics", No. 70, https://doi.org/10.2307/1884513.
- Svedin D., Stage J., 2016, Impact of Foreign Direct Investment on Efficiency in Swedish Manufacturing, "Springerplus", No. 5, DOI: 10.1186/s40064-016-2238-x.
- Szkorupovä Z., 2015, Relationship between Foreign Direct Investment and Domestic Investment in Selected Countries of Central and Eastern Europe, "Procedia Economics and Finance", No. 23, https://doi.org/10.1016/S2212-5671(15)00350-0.
- Temiz D., Gökmen A., 2014, FDI Inflow as an International Business Operation by MNCs and Economic Growth: An Empirical Study on Turkey, "International Business Review", No. 23, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ibusrev.2013.03.003.
- Teixeira A.A.C., Queirós A.S.S., 2016, Economic Growth, Human Capital and Structural Change: A Dynamic Panel Data Analysis, "Research Policy", No. 45, https://doi.org/ 10.1016/j.respol.2016.04.006.
- Tomohara A., Takii S., 2011, Does Globalization Benefit Developing Countries? Effects of FDI on Local Wages, "Journal of Policy Modeling", No. 33, https://doi.org/ 10.1016/j.jpolmod.2010.12.010.
- Tülüce N.S., Dogan І., 2014, The Impact of Foreign Direct Investments on SMEs' Development, "Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences", No. 150, https://doi.org/10.1016/ j.sbspro.2014.09.012.
- Velde D.W. te, 2006, Foreign direct investment and development: An historical perspective, "World Economic and Social Survey for 2006", Commissioned by UNCTAD.
- Wang C.C., Wu A., 2016, Geographical FDI Knowledge Spillover and Innovation of Indigenous Firms in China, "International Business Review", No. 25, https://doi.org/10.1016/ j.ibusrev.2015.12.004.
- Zghidi N., Sghaier I.M., Abida Z., 2016, Does Economic Freedom Enhance the Impact of Foreign Direct Investment on Economic Growth in North African Countries? A Panel Data Analysis, African "Development Review", No. 28, DOI: 10.1111/1467-8268.12167.