Does foreign Aid Contributes to or Impeded Economic Growth
This study empirically investigates the role and the impact of foreign aid (ODA) on economic growth (GDP) using 95 developing countries as the sample. Here we also include foreign direct investment (FDI) and population (POP) as the control variables. The panel data results indicate that a U-shape relationship exists between foreign aid and economic growth (Wamboye, 2012; Gyimah-Brempong and Racine, 2014). Initially, foreign aid negatively impacts the countries' growth and over a period of time, it positively contributes to economic growth. Further, the results strongly support the view that both FDI and POP are more important determinants of GDP, implying that GDP is less likely to depend on ODA. Strengthening the legal framework would be essential for these countries while their overdependency on the influx of ODA might lead to negative impacts on the growth as a whole. Importantly, effective management of foreign aid would ensure the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) are achieved.(original abstract)
- Addison, T., & Tarp, F. (2015). Aid policy and the macroeconomic management of aid. World Development, 69,1-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.worlddev.2014.02.009.
- Balasubramanyam, V. N., Salisu, M., & Sapsford, D. (1996). Foreign direct investment and growth in EP and IS countries.Economic Journal, 106, 92-105. https://doi.org/10.2307/2234933.
- Blomstrom, M., Lipsey, R., & Zejan, M. (1992). What explains developing country growth. National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) working Paper No. 4132. Cambridge.
- Bloom, D., & Sachs, J. D. (1998).Geography, demography and economic growth in Africa. Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, 2, 207-273.
- Boone, P. (1996). Politics and the effectiveness of foreign aid. European Economic Review, 40, 289-329. https://doi.org/10.3386/w5308.
- Borensztein, E., De Gregorio, J., & Lee, J. W. (1998). How does foreign direct investment affect economic growth?. Journal of International Economics, 45, 115-135.
- Burnside, C., & Dollar, D. (2000). Aid, Policies, and Growth. The American Economic Review, 90, 847-868. https://doi.org/10.1257/aer.90.4.847.
- Clemens, M., Radelet, S., Bhavnani, R., & Bazzi, S. (2012). Counting chickens when they hatch: Timing and the effects of aid on growth. Economic Journal, 122, 590-619. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-0297.2011.02482.x
- Cungu, A. & Swinnen, J. F. M. (2003). The Impact of Aid on Economic Growth in Transition Economies: An Empirical Study. Discussion Papers 128/03, Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven. Belgium.
- Dalgaard, C. J., Hansen, H., & Tarp, F. (2004).On the empirics of foreign aid and growth. The Economic Journal, 114, 191-216. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-0297.2004.00219.x.
- Deaton, A. (2013). The Great Escape: Health, Wealth, and the Origins of Inequality, Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ.
- Dreher, A., & Langlotz, S. (2015). Aid and growth. New evidence using an excludable instrument. CEPR Discussion Paper 10811. Heidelberg.
- Ekanayake, E. M., & Chatrna, D. (2010).The effect of foreign aid on economic growth in developing countries. Journal of International Business and Cultural Studies, 3, 1-13.
- Galiani, S., Knack, S., Xu, L. C., & Zou, B. (2016). The effect of aid on growth: evidence from a quasi-experiment. National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) Working Paper No. 22164. Cambridge.
- Gates, B. & Gates, M. (2014). Three Myths on the World's Poor. Wall Street Journal, January 17, 2014. Retrieved from http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304149404579324530112590864.
- Gomanee, K., Girma, S., Morrissey, O. (2005). Aid and growth in sub-Saharan Africa: Accounting for transmission mechanisms. Journal of International Development, 17, 105-1075. https://doi.org/10.1002/jid.1259
- Gong, L., & Zou, H. F. (2001). Foreign aid reduces labor supply and capital accumulation. Review of Development Economics, 5, 105-118.
- Gyimah-Brempong, K., & Racine, J. S. (2014). Aid and economic growth: A robust approach. Journal of Africa Development, 16, 1-35.
- Karras, G. (2006). Foreign aid and long run economic growth: Empirical evidence for a panel of developing countries. Journal of International Development, 18, 15-28. https://doi.org/10.1002/jid.1187.
- Papanek, G. (1973). Aid, private foreign investment, savings and growth in less developed countries. Journal of Political Economy, 81, 120-130. https://doi.org/10.1086/260009
- Lensink, R., & Morrissey, O. (2000).Aid instability as a measure of uncertainty and the positive impact of aid on growth. Journal of Development Studies, 36, 31-49.
- Levy, V. (1988). Aid and growth in sub-Saharan Africa: the recent experience. European Economic Review, 32, 1777-1795. https://doi.org/10.1016/0014-2921(88)90085-2.
- Liew, C. Y., Mohamed, M. R., & Mzee, S.S. (2012). The impact of foreign aid on economic growth of East African countries. Journal of Economics and Sustainable Development, 3, 129-138.
- Mallik, G. (2008). Foreign aid and economic growth: A cointegration analysis of the six poorest African countries. Economic Analysis and Policy, 38, 251-260. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0313-5926(08)50020-8
- Mitra, R., & Hossain, M. S. (2013). Foreign aid and economic growth in the Philippines. Economics Bulletin, 33, 1706-1714.
- Mitra, R., Hossain, M. S., & Hossain, M. I. (2015). Aid and per-capita economic growth in Asia: A panel cointegration tests. Economics Bulletin, 35, 1693-1699.
- Morrissey, O. (2001). Does aid increase growth?. Progress in Development Studies, 1, 37-50. https://doi.org/10.1191/146499301701571354
- Mosley, P., Hudson, J., & Horrell, S. (1987). Aid, the public sector and the market in less developed countries. Economic Journal, 97, 616-641.
- Ndambendia, H., & Njoupouognigni, M. (2010). Foreign aid, foreign direct investment and economic growth in sub-saharan Africa: Evidence from Pooled Mean Group Estimator (PMG). International Journal of Economics and Finance, 2, 39-45.
- Niyonkuru, F. (2016). Failure of foreign aid in developing countries: A quest for alternatives. Business and Economics Journal, 7, 1-9. https://doi.org/10.4172/2151-6219.1000231
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).(2016). Net ODA. Retrieved November 30, 2016, from https://data.oecd.org/oda/net-oda.htm