Empirical Analysis of Food Security Status of Agricultural Households in the Platinum Province of South Africa
This paper gives a succinct report on an investigation into the food security constraints of rural farming households in the North West Province of South Africa. Data presented was gathered across the four districts, and was analyzed using descriptive statistics and inferential statistics. The descriptive results showed that the mean age of rural farmers was 55 years and the average household size was 7 members. Logistic regression results on factors influencing food security in the study showed that variables such as age of the household's head, household feeding rate, the total cost of production, farm income and health expenditure had significant impact on the respondents' food security (at p < 0.05). As shown by Probit regression results, constraints such as the age of household head, food availability, veld fires, market availability, predator invasion, health expenditure and veterinary practices significantly influenced the achievement of food security in the study area. This study concluded that rural farming households were witnessing different dimensions of food insecurity which affected different aspects of their social and economic activities. It is therefore the responsibility of the government to come up with a holistic approach to address the present discrepancy in the national and grass-roots food security status. (original abstract)
- Abu, G. A., Soom, A. (2016). Analysis of factors affecting food security in rural and urban farming households of Benue State, Nigeria. Int. J. Food Agric. Econ., 4(1), 55-68.
- Abur, C. C. (2014). Assessment of Food Security Status among Rural Farming Households in Guma Local Government Area of Benue State, Nigeria. Int. J. Hum. Soc. Sci., 1(2), 34-42.
- Agwu, N. M., Oteh, O. U. (2014). Analysis of income inequalities and food security among farmers in Abia State, South Eastern Nigeria. Scientific Papers Series Management, Econ. Eng. Agric. Rural Dev., 14(3), 7-13.
- Alem, Y., Köhlin, G., Stage, J. (2014). The persistence of subjective Poverty in urban Ethiopia. World Develop., 56, 51-61.
- Altman, M., Hart, T. Jacobs, P. (2009). Food security in South Africa. Pretoria, South Africa: Human Science Research Council.
- Blignaut, J. N., De Wit, M. P., Knot, J., Midgley, S., Crookes, D. J., Drimie, S. Nkambule, N. P. (2014). Sustainable agriculture: A viable option for enhanced food and nutritional security and a sustainable productive resource base in South Africa: An investigation. Baseline Review. Prepared for the Development Bank Southern Africa. Pretoria: ASSET Research.
- DAFF (2016). Abstract of Agricultural statistics. Pretoria, South Africa.
- De Cock, N., D'Haese, M., Vink, N., Van Rooyen, C. J., Staelens, L., Schönfeldt, H. C., D'Haese, L. (2013). Food security in rural areas of Limpopo province, South Africa. Spring. J., 5, 269-282.
- D'Haese, L., Van Rooyen, J., Vink, N., Kirsten, J., Staelens, L., Van-damme, E., Shönfeld, H., Remaut-Dewinter, A. M., D'Haese, M. (2011). Food security: Limpopo Province. Retrieved Dec 12th 2016 from: http://www.up.ac.za/media/shared/Legacy/sitefiles/file/48/4153/finalreportlimpopoprojet2011. Pdf
- FAO (2003). Trade reforms and food securitu. Rome: FAO.
- Ijatuyi, E. J. (2016). Assessment of extension and advisory services on Nguni cattle development project beneficiaries in North West province. Unpublished MSc dissertation, North-West University, South Africa.
- Kemalbay, G., Korkmazoğlu, Ö. B. (2014). Categorical Principal Component Logistic Regression: A Case Study for Housing Loan Approval. Proc. Soc. Behav. Sci., 109, 730-736.
- Krejcie, R. V., Morgan, D. W. (1970). Determining sample size for research activities. Edu. Psych. Meas., 30(1), 607-610.
- Irohibe, I. J., Agwu, A. E. (2014). Assessment of Food Security Situation among Farming Households in Rural Areas of Kano State, Nigeria. J. Cen. Euro Agri., 15(1), 94-107.
- Labadarios, D., Davids, Y. D., Mchiza, Z., Weir-Smith, G. (2009). The assessment of food insecurity in South Africa. Pretoria: Centre for Poverty, Employment, and Growth, Human Sciences Research Council.
- NDA (2013). South Africa yearbook 2013/14 on Agriculture. Pretoria, South Africa.
- Ogunkoya, F. T. (2014). Socioeconomic factors that affect livestock numbers: A case study of smallholder cattle and sheep farmers in the Free State province of South-Africa. Submitted for the degree of Master of Science in Agriculture. South Africa: University of South Africa.
- Oluwatayo, I. B., Rachoene, M. A. (2017). Effect of Agricultural Commercialization on Food Security among smallholder farmers in Polokwane Municipality, Capricorn District of Limpopo Province, South Africa. J. Agribus Rur Develop., 1(43), 143-156.
- Omonona, B. T., Oni, O. A., Akpan, E. (2007). The Determinants of Demand for Nigeria's Agricultural Export Commodities. Pakis. J. Soc. Sci., 4(2), 247-251.
- Omotesho, O. A., Adewumi, M. O., Fadimula, K. S. (2007). Food Security and Poverty of the Rural Households in Kwara State, Nigeria. AAAE Conference Proceedings, 571-575.
- Shisana, O., Labadarios, D., Rehle, T., Simbayil, L., Zuma, K., Dhansay, A., Reddy, P., Parker, W., Hoosain, E., Naidoo, P., Hongoro, C., Mchiza, Z., Steyn, N. P., Dwane, N., Makoae, M., Maluleke, T., Ramlagan, S., Zungu, N., Evans, M. G., Jacobs, L., Faber, M., & SANHANES-1 Team. (2013). South African National Health and Nutrition Examination Survery. Capetown, South Africa: HSRC press.
- Shuttleworth, M. (2008). Descriptive research design. Retrieved June 20th 2017 from https://explorable.com/descriptive-research-design
- Waggins, S., Keats, S. (2009). Current State of Food Security in African and Africa-Eu partnership on the Millennium Development Goals. A paper for the 2nd Joints Experts Growing Meeting, Africa-EU MDGS Partnership, subgroup on priority Action 2: Accelerate the food security targets of the MDGs. Pretoria, South Africa. March, 24.