Analysis of the Asymmetric Impacts of Oil Prices on Food Prices in Oil-Exporting, Developing Countries
This study focuses on the effects of oil price changes on food prices in oil-exporting developing countries between 2001 and 2014. These effects in net food-importing and oil-exporting, developing countries have not received adequate attention in literature. The methodology included the application of a non-linear panel autoregressive distributed lag (ARDL) model. The bound testing cointegration analysis of the non-linear panel ARDL specification suggests the presence of co-integration among the variables: food prices, oil price, inflation, and trade openness. The estimated non-linear panel ARDL model indicated the presence of asymmetry in the behavior of food prices solely in the long run. More specifically, in the long run, there is a significant and positive relationship between oil price increases and food prices. Meanwhile, no long-run relation is found between oil price reduction and food prices. Furthermore, the model suggests the absence of asymmetry in the behavior of food prices in the short run, as the relations between both increase and reduction in oil price and food prices are found to be insignificant. The study, therefore, recommends that oil-exporting developing countries should adjust their public policy schemes in such a way as to enable reductions in the oil price to trickle down to food prices. In addition, these countries should ensure the implementation of long-term agricultural policies aimed at insulating their economies from global food crises that may arise due to oil price increases. (original abstract)
- Abdel, H. A., & Arshad, F. M. (2008). The impact of petroleum prices on vegetable oils prices: evidence from Cointegration Tests. Paper presented at the International Borneo Business Conference on Global Changes, Malaysia, December 2008.
- Abott, P. C., Hurt, C., & Tyner, W.E. (2009). What's driving food prices? Farm Foundation Issue Report (FFIR), Oak Brook, IL.
- Adam, C., Kwimbere, D., Mbowe,. W. & O'Connell. S. (2012). Food prices and inflation in Tanzania. A Bank of Tanzania Working paper S-40001-TZA-1.
- Arshad, F. M., & Hameed, A. A. A. (2009). The long-run relationship between petroleum and cereals prices. Global Economy and Finance Journal, 2(2), 91-100.
- Baffes, J. (2010). More on the energy/non-energy commodity price link. Applied Economics Letters, 17(16), 1555-1558.
- Balcombe, K., & Rapsomanikis, G. (2008). Bayesian estimation of nonlinear vector error correction models: the Case of sugar-ethanol-oil nexus in Brazil. American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 90, 658-668.
- Balitskiy, S., Bilan, Y., & Strielkowski, W. (2014). Energy security and economic growth in the European Union. Journal of Security & Sustainability Issues, 4(2), 123-130.
- Baumeister, C. & Kilian, L. (2014). Do oil price increases cause higher food prices?. Economic Policy, 29(80), 691-747.
- Barrett, C. B., & Li, J. R. (2002). Distinguishing between equilibrium and integration in spatial price analysis. American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 84, 292-307.
- Breitung, J., & Candelon, B. (2006). Testing for short- and long-run casualty: a frequency domain approach. Journal of Econometrics, 132, 363-379.
- Campiche, J., Bryant, H., Richardson, J., & Outlaw, J. (2007). Examining the evolving correspondence between petroleum prices and agricultural commodity prices. Paper presented at the American Agricultural Economics Association annual meeting. Portland, OR, July 29-August 1, 2007.
- Chakravorty, U., Hubert, M., Moreaux, M., & Nostbakken, L. (2012). The long-run impact of biofuels on food prices. Typescript. University of Alberta and Tufts University.
- Chen, S., Kuo, H., & Chen, C. (2010). Modelling the relationship between the oil price and global food prices. Applied Energy, 87(7), 2517-2525.
- De Gregorio, J., Landerretche, O., Neilson, C., Broda, C., & Rigobon, R. (2007). Another pass-through bite the dust? In Oil prices and inflation [with comments]. Economica, 7 (2), 155-208.
- Enders, W. (1995). Applied Econometric Time Series. New York: John Willey and Sons Inc.
- Esmaeili, A., & Shokoohi, Z. (2010). Assessing the effect of oil price on world food prices: application of principal component analysis. Energy Policy, 39 (2011), 1022-1025.
- Gohin, A. and Chantret, F. (2010). The long-run impact of energy prices on world agricultural markets: The role of macro-economic linkages. Energy Policy, 38, 333-339.
- Gohin, A., & Chantret, F. (2010). The long-run impact of energy prices on world agricultural markets: the role of macro-economic linkages. Energy Policy, 38, 333-339.
- Gouel, C. (2013). Food price stability and domestic stabilization policies in developing countries (No. w18934). National Bureau of Economic Research.
- Hansen, B.E., & Seo, B. (2002). Testing for two-regime threshold cointegration in vector error-correction models. Journal of Econometrics, 110, 293-318.
- Harri, A., Nalley, L., & Hudson, D. (2009). The relationship between oil, exchange rates, and commodity prices. Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, 41(2), 501-510.
- Herath, H. M. S. P. (2014). Has trade liberalization improved food security? A comparative study on China and Sri Lanka. European Journal of Business and Management, 6 (18), 62-67.
- Ibrahim, M. H. (2015). Oil and food prices in Malaysia: a nonlinear ARDL analysis." Agricultural and Food Economics 3:2. A springer Open Journal.
- Karantininis, K., Katrkylidis, K., & Persson, M. (2011). Price transmission in the Swedish porkchain: asymmetric nonlinear ARDL. Paper presented at the EAAE Congress: Challenges and Uncertainty, September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland.
- Konandreas, P. (2012). Trade policy responses to food price volatility in poor net food-importing countries. ICTSD Programme on Agricultural Trade and Sustainable Development. Issue Paper No. 42. Geneva: International Centre for Trade and Sustainable Development.
- Kratschell, K., & Schmidt, T. (2013). Long-run trends or short-run fluctuations - what establishes the correlation between oil and food prices?" In: Annual Conference 2013 (Duesseldorf): Competition Policy and Regulation in a Global Economic Order.
- McPhail, L. L., Du, X., & Muhammad, A. (2012). Disentangling corn price volatility: the role of global demand, speculation, and energy. Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, 44, 3(August 2012), 401-410.
- Nagyová, L., Holienčinová, M., Rovný, P., Dobák, D., & Bilan, Y. (2016). Food security drivers: Economic sustainability of primary agricultural production in the Slovak Republic. Journal of Security and Sustainability Issues, 6(2), 259-274.
- Natalenov, V., Alam, M. J., McKenzie, A. M., & Van Huylenbroeck, G. (2011). Is there co-movement of agricultural commodities futures prices and crude oil? Energy Policy 39, 4971-4984.
- Olayungbo, D., & Hassan, W. (2016). Effects of oil price on food prices in developing oil-exporting countries: a panel autoregressive distributed lag analysis. OPEC Energy Review. Special Edition: The Impact of the Oil Price on the global economy. 40(4), 397-411.
- Palaskas, T. B. (1995). Statistical analysis of price transmission in the European Union. Journal of Agricultural Economics, 46, 60-69.
- Peri, M., & Baldi, L. (2010). Vegetable oil market and biofuel policy: an asymmetric cointegration approach. Energy Economics, 32, 687-693.
- Pesaran, M. H., Shin, Y., & Smith, R. J. (2001). Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships. Journal of Applied Econometrics, 16, 289-326.
- Pindyck, R. S., & Rotemberg J. J. (1990). The excess co-movement of commodity prices. Economic Journal, 100(403), 1173-1189.
- Roboredo J. C. (2012). Do food and oil Prices co-move? Energy Policy, 49, 456-467.
- Romily, P., Song, H., & Liu, X. (2001). Car ownership and use in Britain: a comparison of the empirical results of alternative cointegration estimation methods and forecasts. Applied Economics, 33(14), 1803-1818.
- Serra, T., & Zilberman, D. (2013). Biofuel-related price transmission literature: a review. Energy Economics, 37, 141-151.
- Shin, Y., Yu, B., & Greenwood-Nimmo, M. (2014). Modeling asymmetric cointegration and dynamic multipliers in a nonlinear ARDL framework. In Festschrift in Honor of Peter Schmidt (pp. 281-314). Springer New York.
- Simionescu, M., Albu, L. L., Raileanu Szeles, M., & Bilan, Y. (2017). The impact of biofuels utilisation in transport on the sustainable development in the European Union. Technological and Economic Development of Economy, 23(4), 667-686.
- Timmer, C. P. (2010). Reflections on food crises past. Food policy, 35(1), 1-11.
- Trujillo-Barrera, A., Mallory, M., & Garcia, P. (2012). Volatility spillovers in US crude oil, ethanol, and corn futures markets. Journal of Agricultural and Resources Economics, 37, 247-262.
- United Nations (UN) Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. (2016). Retrieved 05/01/2018 from http://www.fao.org/faostat/en/