Net Promoter Score, Growth, and Profitability of Transportation Companies
Introduced in 2003, net promoter score (NPS) very quickly gained popularity, as a customer loyalty measure, among companies and a part of researchers, due to its simplicity, the ease of interpretation, low costs of calculation, and, overall, its assumed impact on future growth and profitability. In due course of literature review, it was identified that not all researchers endorsed NPS, rejecting its presumed impact on growth and its superiority over other loyalty measures. This study aims therefore to verify the influence of NPS on the growth and profitability of Polish transportation companies. This objective is achieved with the use of Spearman correlation ranks and linear regression. The findings of this study reject the proclaimed relationship between NPS and growth; hence, in that matter, the results are aligned to criticism presented in literature. The study, however, confirmed a positive and statistically significant relationship between NPS and profitability. Accordingly, the study recommends Polish transportation companies to include NPS in a portfolio of metrics, however, not as a stand-alone diagnostic tool.(original abstract)
- Anderson, E.W., Fornell, C., Lehmann, D.R. (1994), Customer satisfaction, market share and profitability: findings from Sweden, Journal of Marketing, Vol. 58, No. 3, pp. 53-66.
- Anderson, R., Swaminathan, S., Mehta R. (2014), Prospering in tough economic times through loyal customers international, Journal of Management and Economics, Vol. 41, pp. 76-91.
- Blasberg, J., Vishwanath, V., Allen, J. (2008), Tools for converting consumers into advocates, Strategy & Leadership, Vol. 36, No. 2, pp. 16-23.
- Brandt, D.R. (2007), For good measure, Marketing Management, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 20-25.
- Brau, J.C., Hiatt, S., Woodworth, W. (2009), Evaluating impacts of microfinance institutions using Guatemalan data, Managerial Finance, Vol. 35, No. 12, pp. 953-974.
- Chan, A.L.C., Lin, S.W.J., Strong, N. (2009), Accounting conservatism and the cost of equity capital: UK evidence, Managerial Finance, Vol. 35, No. 4, pp. 325-345.
- Dawkins, P., Feeny, S., Harris, M.N. (2007), Benchmarking firm performance, Benchmarking: An International Journal, Vol. 14, No. 6, pp. 693-710.
- Deszczyński, B. (2017), Word-of-mouth in social media. The case of Polish tourist industry, International Journal of Management and Economics, Vol. 53, No. 4, pp. 93-114.
- Dziewanowska, K. (2007), Znaczenie zadowolenia i niezadowolenia klienta w budowaniu jego lojalności, Zeszyty Naukowe Uniwersytetu Szczecińskiego, Vol. 12, pp. 473.
- Euro Logistics. (2015), Operator Logistyczny roku 2015, retrieved from http://eurologistics.pl/wydania-eurologistic/eurologistics-grudzien-2015-styczen-2016/ [10th April 2018].
- Euro Logistics. (2016), Operator Logistyczny roku 2016, retrieved from http://eurologistics.pl/wydania-eurologistic/eurologistics-nr-97/ [10th April 2018].
- Gajewska, P., Szewczyk, I. (2012), Wskaźnik NPS w ocenie lojalności i satysfakcji konsumenckiej usług wybranych punktów gastronomicznych na terenie Żywca, Zeszyty Naukowe Uniwersytetu Szczecińskiego. Ekonomiczne Problemy Usług, nr 84.
- Glancey, K. (1998), Determinants of growth and profitability in small entrepreneurial firms, International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behavior & Research, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 18-27.
- Grewal, R., Cline, T.W., Davies, A. (2003), Early-entrant advantage, word-of-mouth communication, brand similarity, and the consumer decision-making process, Journal of Consumer Psychology, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 187-197.
- Griffin, J. (1997), Customer loyalty: how to earn it, how to keep it, Jossey-Bass Publishers, San Francisco.
- Grisaffe, D.B. (2007), Questions about the ultimate question: conceptual considerations in evaluating Reichheld's net promoter score (NPS), Journal of Consumer Satisfaction, Dissatisfaction and Complaining Behavior, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 36-53.
- Jacoby, J., Chestnut, R.W. (1978), Brand loyalty: measurement and management, John Wiley & Sons, New York.
- Jones, T.O., Sasser, W.E. Jr. (1995), Why satisfied customers defect, Harvard Business Review, Vol. 73, pp. 88-99.
- Keiningham, T.L., Aksoy, L., Cooil, B., Andreassen, T.W., Williams, L. (2008), A holistic examination of net promoter, Database Marketing & Customer Strategy Management, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 79-90.
- Korneta, P. (2014), What makes customers willing to recommend a retailer - the study on roots of positive Net Promoter Score index, Central European Review of Economics and Finance, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 61-74.
- Kristensen, K., Eskildsen, J. (2014), Is the NPS a trustworthy performance measure? The TQM Journal, Vol. 26, No. 2, pp. 202-214.
- Kristensen, K., Westlund, A.H. (2004), The one number you need to grow: (comment on Reichheld), Harvard Business Review, Vol. 82, No. 4, pp. 138-139.
- Lotko, A. (2012), Lojalność klientów telefonii komórkowej. Ekonomika i Organizacja Przedsiębiorstwa, Vol. 1, pp. 744.
- Lotko, A. (2015), Classifying customers according to NPS index: cluster analysis for contact center services, Central European Review of Economics and Finance, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp.215-230.
- Lyngstadaas, H., Berg, T. (2016), Working capital management: evidence from Norway, International Journal of Managerial Finance, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 295-313.
- McGregor, J. (2006), Would you recommend us? Business Week, (January 30), p. 94.
- Morgan, N.A., Rego, L.L. (2008), Can behavioral WOM measures provide insight into the Net Promoter© concept of customer loyalty? Marketing Science, Vol. 27, No. 3, pp. 533-534.
- Oliver, R.L. (1999), Whence consumer loyalty? Journal of Marketing, Vol. 63 (July), pp. 33-44.
- Pearson, N. (1996), Building brands directly: creating business value from customer relationships, Macmillan Business, Vol. 20, No. 6, pp. 68-82.
- Pingitore, G., Morgan, N.A., Rego, L.L., Gigliotti, A., Meyers, J. (2007), The single-question trap, Marketing Management, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 9-13.
- Pollack, B.L., Alexandrov, A. (2013), Nomological validity of the Net Promoter Index question, Journal of Services Marketing, Vol. 27, No. 2, pp. 118-129.
- Pomaskow, J. (2014), Wpływ marek koncernu Procter&Gamble na satysfakcję i lojalność nabywców, Marketing i Rynek, Nr 8 (CD), pp. 1218-1222.
- Rahim, A.G. (2016), Customer satisfaction and loyalty towards perceived service quality of domestic airlines in Nigeria, International Journal of Management and Economics, Vol. 52, pp. 94-117.
- Reichheld, F.F. (2003), The one number you need to grow, Harvard Business Review, Vol. 81, No. 12, pp. 46-54.
- Reichheld, F.F. (2006a), The microeconomics of customer relationships, MIT Sloan Management Review, Vol. 47, No. Winter, pp. 73-78.
- Reichheld, F.F. (2006b), The ultimate question: Driving good profits and true growth, Harvard Business School Press, Boston.
- Reichheld, F.F., Markey, R.G., Hopton, C. (2000), The loyalty effect - the relationship between loyalty and profits, European Business Journal, Vol. 12, No. 3., 134-139.
- Seal, J., Moody, M. (2008), The hidden limitations of tracking research, Marketing Management, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 16-21.
- Siddiqi, A.F. (2014), An observatory note on tests for normality assumptions, Journal of Modelling in Management, Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 290-305.
- Tucker, W.T. (1964), The development of brand loyalty, Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 1, No. 3, pp. 32-35.
- Tyagi, S., Nauriyal, D.K. (2017), Firm level profitability determinants in Indian drugs and pharmaceutical industry, International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Marketing, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 271-290.
- Wansik, B. (2003), Developing a cost-effective brand loyalty program, Journal of Advertising Research, Vol. 43, No. 3, pp. 301-309.
- Wright, M.G. (1975), What management can learn from ratios, Managerial Finance, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 30-39.