Market Participation and Food Security of Cassava Farmers in Rural South West Nigeria
Gaining better market access is a concern to smallholder farmers in Africa. This study analyzed the market participation and food security among cassava farmers in South West Nigeria. Multi-stage sampling was employed in the selection of respondents. Data were analyzed using descriptive statistics, Foster-Greer-Thorbecke (FGT) indices, and Tobit and logit regression models. The extent of market participation among the farmers was found to be 0.56 ±0.13. The level of education, off-farm income source, membership of an association, years of experience, access to market information, age and transportation costs significantly influenced the extent of market participation. At the food insecurity line of NGN 20,132.20 per annum, 61.53% of cassava farmers were food insecure. Food insecurity is significantly affected by the extent of market participation, gender, access to credit, off-farm income source, yield, household size, primary occupation, household income and access to market information. Therefore, the government and other stakeholders should devote attention to factors that increase market participation and food security among the farmers. In Nigeria, the cassava transformation project should not be limited to the provision of improved production technologies but needs to be extended to storage and marketing strategies in order to provide the farmers with some guidance on how to deal with market glut. (original abstract)
- Adenegan, K. O., Adepoju, A., Nwauwa, L. O. E. (2012). Determinants of market participation of maize farmers in rural Osun State of Nigeria. Int. J. Agric. Econ. Rural Dev., 5(1), 28-39.
- Agwu, N. M., Anyanwu, C. I., Mendie, E. I. (2011). Socioeconomic determinants of commercialization among smallholder farmers in Abia State, Nigeria. Green. J. Agric. Sci., 2(8), 392-397.
- Akinlade, R. J., Balogun, O. L., Obisesan, A. A. (2014). Commercialization of urban vegetable farming. Int. J. Veget. Sci., 22(1). DOI: 1080/19315260.2014.921266
- von Braun, J., Bouis, H., Kennedy, E. (1994). Conceptual framework. In: J. von Braun, E. Kennedy (Eds.). Agricultural commercialization, economic development, and nutrition, Baltimore, Md., USA: Johns Hopkins University Press for the International Food Policy Research Institute.
- Diao, X., Hazell, P. (2004). Exploring market opportunities for African smallholders. Paper prepared for the 2020 Africa Conference "Assuring food security in Africa by 2020: Prioritizing actions, strengthening actors, and facilitating partnerships". Kampala, Uganda. April 1-3, 2004.
- Egbetokun, O. A., Omonona, B. T. (2012). Determinants of farmers participation in food market in Ogun State. Global J. Sci. Front. Res. Agric. Vet. Sci., 12(9), 24-30.
- Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (FMARD) (2002). Agriculture in Nigeria: Policy (before and now) analysis of the existing (1988) agricultural policy and the revised policy. Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural development, Abuja.
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) (2013). Trend of cassava production in Nigeria. Retrieved from: http://www.fao.org/faostat/en/
- Foster, J., Greer, J., Thorbecke, E. (1984). A class of decomposable poverty measures. Econometrica, 52, 761-766.
- Gani, B. S., Adeoti, A. I. (2011). Analysis of Market participation and rural poverty among farmers in northern part of Taraba State, Nigeria. J. Econ., 2(1), 23-36.
- Gebremedhin, B., Jaleta, M. (2010). Commercialization of smallholders: Is participation enough? Being a contributed paper presented at the Joint 3rd African Association of Agricultural Economists (AAAE) and 48th Agricultural Economists Association of South Africa (AEASA) Conference, Cape Town, South Africa, September 19-23, 2010.
- Holloway, G., Nicholson, C., Delgado, C., Staal, S., Ehui, S. (2000). Agroindustrialization through institutional Innovation. Transaction costs, cooperatives and milk-market development in the East African Highlands. Agric. Econ., 23(1), 279-288. Retrieved from: https://ageconsearch. umn.edu/bitstream/176215/2/agec2000v023i003a008.pdf
- IFAD (2002). Rural poverty report 2002: The challenge of ending rural poverty. Rome, Italy: International Fund for Agricultural Development. Retrieved from: www.ifad. org/poverty/index.htm
- IFAD (2003). Promoting market access for rural poor in order to achieve the millennium development goals. Paper presented in Seminar on the 25th anniversary session of governing counci. Rome, Italy, April 16 to 18. Rome: International Fund for Agricultural Development.
- IITA (2003). Farming system. International Institute of Tropical Agriculture, Nigeria.
- International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD). (2010). Investing in rural people. International Fund for Agricultural Development, Via Paolo di Dono 44 00142, Rome, Italy.
- National Population Census (NPC). 2006. National Bureau of Statistics Official Gazette (FGP 71/52007/2,500 (OL24) Abuja. Retrieved from: http://www.nigerianstat.gov.ng
- NBS (2012). Nigeria Poverty Profile. Abuja: National Bureau of Statistics.
- Nweke, F. I., Spencer, D. S. C., Lynam, J. K. (2001). The cassava transformation: Africa's best kept secret. Michigan State University Press, East Lansing.
- Ogbe, S. E. (2010). Determinants of microcredit and microfinance outreach to farmers in Abia State: A case study of national special programme on food security. Unpublished M.Sc. Thesis, Dept. Agr. Econ., Michael Okpara Univ. Agr., Umudike, Nigeria.
- Oluyole, K. A., Oni, O. A., Omonona, B. T., Adenegan, K. O. (2009). Food security among cocoa farming households of Ondo State Nigeria. ARPN J. Agric. Biol. Sci., 4(5), 2-13.
- Omonona, B. T., Agoi, G. A. (2007). An analysis of food security situation among Nigerian urban households: Evidence from Lagos State, Nigeria. J. of Central Europ. Agric., 8(3), 397-406.
- Omotesho, O. A., Adewumi, M. O., Muhammad-Lawal, A., Ayinde, O. (2006). Determinants of food security among rural farming households in Kwara State, Nigeria. Afr. J. Gen. Agric., 2(1), 7-15. Retrieved from: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/268371689_Determinants_of_Food_Security_Among_The_Rural_Farming_Households_in_Kwara_State_Nigeria
- Otunaiya, A. O., Ibidunni, O. S. (2014). Determinants of food security among rural farming households in Ogun State, Nigeria. J. Sust. Dev. Afr., 16 (2), 33-44.
- Renkow, M., Hallstrom, D. G., Karanja, D. (2004). Rural infrastructure, transactions costs and market participation in Kenya. J. Dev. Econs., 85(5), 1140-1146.
- Rosegrant, M. W., Cline, S. A., Li, W., Sulser, T. B., Velmonte-Santos, R. A. (2005). Looking ahead. Long-term Prospects for Africa's Agric. Paper presented in a Seminar on 2020 Development and Food Security in Washington, D.C., November 12 to 15, 2005.
- Rural Sector Enhancement Programme (RUSEP, 2002). Proceedings of National Stakeholders Workshop on Rural Development. IITA Publication, Ibadan, Nigeria.