Determining the Factors of Cash Holdings - the Case of Romanian Non-financial Companies
The significant increase in company cash holdings has drawn the attention of the academic world. As a result, there is now extensive academic literature which investigates the relationship between cash holdings and their impact on corporate performance and company values. The study focuses on the motives, determinants and theories of cash holdings. The main objective of the paper was to investigate the determinants of cash holdings for Romanian companies for the period 2006-2015. The findings suggest that, for nonfinancial companies, cash holdings are influenced by the state of the economy. In times of recession, cash could be a good way to ride out the storm without having to ask for extra funding. Thus, companies tend to use internally generated cash before seeking external financing. In order to analyse the determinants of cash holdings, this study makes use of company level data for listed companies on the Bucharest Stock Exchange (BSE). The data was gathered from multiple sources; however the main source was the Amadeus database, which comprises data on almost 20 million companies in Europe. This database allows the user to search by multiple criteria (for instance: geographic, NACE codes, financial criteria, ownership, etc.). The data in the database is collected by the supplier of this database, Bureau van Dijk, therefore the data is reliable. Other data necessary for the study was gathered from the BSE website, the website of the Central Depository - an institution adjacent to the BSE - or was extracted from the individual financial reports available on the webpages of the companies. (original abstract)
- Ahmad, I., Oláh, J., Popp, J., Máté, D. (2018), Does business group affiliation matter for superior performance? Evidence from Pakistan, Sustainability 2018, 10(9), 3060.
- Al-Amarneh, A. (2013), Why do Jordanian firms hold cash? An empirical examination of the industrial companies listed in ASE, International Journal of Academic Research, 5: 103-111.
- Baum, C.F., Caglayan, M., Ozkan, N., Talavera, O. (2004), The Impact of macroeconomic uncertainty on cash holdings for non-financial firms, Berlin: ZEW - Centre for European Economic Research, Discussion Paper No. 04-010.
- Bigelli, M., Sánchez-Vidal, J. (2012), Cash holdings in private firms, Journal of Banking & Finance, 36(1): 26-35.
- Bover, O., Watson, N. (2005), Are there economies of scale in the demand for money by firms? Some panel data estimates, Journal of Monetary Economics, 52(8): 1569-1589.
- Chen, Y.-R. (2008). Corporate governance and cash holdings: Listed new economy versus old economy firms, Corporate Governance, 16(5): 430-442.
- Chen, Y.-R., Chuang, W.-T. (2009), Alignment or entrenchment? Corporate governance and cash holdings in growing firms, Journal of Business Research, 62: 1200-1206.
- Faulkender, M.W. (2002), Cash holdings among small businesses, available at; https://ssrn.com/abstract=305179, (accessed 08 May 2015).
- Ferreira, M.A., Vilela, A. S. (2004), Why do firms hold cash? Evidence from EMU countries, European Financial Management, 10(2): 295-319.
- Ferreira, M.A. Custodio, C., Raposo, C.C., (2005), Cash holdings and business conditions, available at: https://ssrn.com/abstract=608664, (accessed 05 May 2015).
- Foley, F. C., Hartzell, J. C., Titman, S. (2007), Why do firms hold so much cash? A taxbased explanation, Journal of Financial Economics, 86: 579-607.
- Harford, J., Mansi, S.A., Maxwell, W.F. (2008), Corporate governance and firm cash holdings in the US, Journal of Financial Economics, 87(3): 535-555.
- Keynes, J. (1936), The general theory of employment, interest and money, London: Harcourt Brace.
- Jensen, M.C., Meckling, W.H. (1976), Theory of the firm: Managerial behaviour, agency costs and ownership structure, Journal of Financial Economics, 3: 305-360.
- Mihai, I., Radu, R. (2015), A literature review of companies cash holdings, XVIth International Conference "Risk in Contemporary Economy" (pp. 346-352), "Dunarea de Jos" University of Galati, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Romania.
- Modigliani, F., Miller M.H. (1958), The cost of capital, corporate finance and the theory of investment, American Economic Review, 48: 261-297.
- Myers, S.C., Majluf, N.S. (1984), Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have, Journal of Financial Economics, 13(2): 187-221.
- Ogundipe, L., Ogundipe, S.E., Ajao, S.K. (2012), Cash holding and firm characteristics: Evidence from Nigerian emerging market, Journal of Business, Economics & Finance, 1(2): 45-58.
- Oláh, J., Karmazin, Gy., Máté, D., Grabara, J.K., Popp, J. (2017), The effect of acquisition moves on income, pre-tax profits and future strategy of logistics firms, Journal of International Studies, 10(4): 233-245.
- Oláh, J., Sadaf, R., Máté, D., Popp, J. (2018), The influence of the management success factors of logistics service providers on firms' competitiveness, Polish Jounal of Management Studies, 17(1): 175-193.
- Opler, T., Pinkowitz, L., Stulz, R., Williamson, R. (1999), The determinants and implications of corporate cash holdings, Journal of Financial Economics, 52: 4-46.
- Ozkan, A., Ozkan, N. (2004), Corporate cash holdings: An empirical investigation of UK companies, Journal of Banking & Finance, 28: 2103-2134.
- Pinkowitz, L., Williamson, R., (2001), Bank power and cash holdings: Evidence from Japan, Review of Financial Studies, 14(4): 1059-1082.
- Pinkowitz, L., Stulz, R.M., Williamson, R. (2013), Is there a U.S. high cash holdings puzzle after the financial crisis? Fisher College of Business, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics, Working Paper No. 2013-03-07, Georgetown McDonough School of Business Research Paper, available at: https://ssrn.com/abstract=2253943, (accessed 4 May 2005).
- Rizwan, M.F. (2012), Economic uncertainty and corporate cash holding behaviour: Evidence from Pakistan's corporate sector, in: M. Muffatto, P.Giacon (Eds.), Entrepreneurial strategies and policies for economic growth (pp. 361-369), Padova: libreriauniversitaria.it.
- Saddour, K. (2006), The determinants and the value of cash holdings: Evidence from French firms, Université Paris Dauphine, CEREG - Centre de recherche sur la Gestion.
- Shah, A. (2011). The corporate cash holdings: Determinants and implications, African Journal of Business Management, 5(34): 12939-12950.
- Song, K., Lee, Y.-J. (2012), Long-term effects of a financial crisis: Evidence from cash holdings of East Asian Firms, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 47(3): 617-641.
- Van Horne, J.C., Wachowicz, J.M. (2008), Fundamentals of financial management (13th edition), Prentice Hall: Pearson Education.
- Worthen, B. (2010), Gap widens between tech richest and the rest, Wall Street Journal, March 16, 2010.
- Yurdagul, E., Sánchez, J. M. (2013), Why are corporations holding so much cash?, The Regional Economist, 21(1): 4-8.