Case Study about Economic Order Quantities and Comparison of Results from Conventional Eoq Model and Response Surface-Based Approach
This study involves the implementation of an economic order quantity (EOQ) model which is an inventory control method in a ceramic factory. Two different methods were applied for the calculation of EOQs. The first method is to determine EOQ values using a response surface method-based approach (RSM). The second method uses conventional EOQ calculations. To produce a ceramic product, 281 different and additive materials may be used. First, Pareto (ABC) analysis was performed to determine which of the materials have higher priority. Because of this analysis, the value of 21 items among 281 different materials and additives were compared to the ratio of the total product. The ratio was found to be 70.4% so calculations were made for 21 items. Usage value for every single item for the years 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014, respectively, were obtained from the company records. Eight different demand forecasting methods were applied to find the amount of the demand in EOQ. As a result of forecasting, the EOQ of the items were calculated by establishing a model. Also, EOQ and RSM calculations for the items were made and both calculation results were compared to each other. Considering the obtained results, it is understood that RSM can be used in EOQ calculations rather than the conventional EOQ model. Also, there are big differences between the EOQ values which were implemented by the company and the values calculated. Because of this work, the RSM-based EOQ approach can be used to decide on the EOQ calculations as a way of improving the system performance. (original abstract)
- Selcuk O., Examining inventory control methods and a practice in construction materials sector, Master's thesis, Istanbul Technical University Graduate School of Science Engineering and Technology, Istanbul, 2007.
- Yaman R., Production planning: control and integration, Nobel Publisher 1th press, 25-180 Ankara, 2011.
- Roach B., Origins of the Economic Order quantity Formula, Washburn University School of Business Working Paper Series, Kansas, 2005.
- Kucuk O., Inventory management, Seckin Publisher 2th press 21-137, Ankara, 2011.
- Teng J.T., A simple method to compute economic order quantities, European Journal of Operational Research, 351-353, 2009.
- Yu G., Theory and methodology robust economic order quantity models, European Journal of Operational Research, 482-493, 1997.
- Grubbstrom R.W., Erdem A., The EOQ with backlogging derived without derivatives, International Journal of Production Economics, 59, 529-530, 1999.
- Cardenas-Barron L.E., The economic production quantity (EPQ) with shortage derived algebraically, International Journal of Production Economics, 70, 289-292, 2001.
- Minner S., A note on how to compute economic order quantity without derivatives by cost comparisons, International Journal of Production Economics, 105, 293-296, 2007.
- Wee H.M., Wang W.T., Chung C.J., A modified method to computer economic order quantities without derivatives by cost - difference comparisons, European Journal of Operational Research, 194, 336-338, 2009.
- Zipkin P.H., Foundations of inventory management, McGraw-Hill, 2000.
- Heızer J., Render B., Operations management, New York, Prentice Hall, 2001.
- Stevenson W.J., Production & operations management, Irwin Publishing, 536, 1996.
- Box G.E.P., Draper N.R., Empirical model building and response surfaces, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1987.
- Myers R.H., Montgomery D.C., Response surface methodology process and product optimization using designed experiments, New York, 2002.
- Jurado E., Camacho F., Luzon G., Vicaria J.M., A new kinetic model proposed for enzymatic hydrolysis of lactose by β - galactosidase from Kluyueromycesfragilis, Enzyme and Microbial Technology, 31, 300-309, 2002.
- Kan B., MARS approach to response surface models, PhD thesis, Anadolu University Graduate School of Science Engineering and Technology Statistic Division, January, 2011.
- Ciftci E., A study on higher order response Surface models, Master's thesis, Hacettepe Technical University Graduate School of Science Engineering and Technology Statistic Division, Ankara, 2011.
- Yıldız R., Examining the economic order quantity for certain product group in a production company, Master Thesis, Balıkesir University Institute Of Science Industrial Engineering, March 2015.
- Mahfuz M.H., Shahrul I.M., Islam M.A., Application of fixed time period model for optimizing inventory level: a case study in a pharmaceutical company, Department of Industrial and Production Engineering, Shahjalal University of Science and Technology, Engineering e-Transaction, 2008, ISSN 1823-6379.
- Laır N.A.M., Muhiddin F.A, Laudi S., Tamiri F.M., Chua B.L., The Spare Part Inventory Management System (Spims) for the profound Heritage SdnBhd: a case study on the EOQ technique, International Journal of Research in Engineering & Technology, 2321-8843, 2014.