A Fuzzy Model for Team Control and its Application
An original fuzzy team control model is presented in this article. The model is based on a non-traditional combination of classical and contemporary achievements of management and mathematical theories of fuzzy logic and fuzzy sets. In methodological terms, the article also offers a set of tools for measuring and evaluating both team performance and the effectiveness of the team control system in the organization. Fuzzy tools and techniques for decision-making, studying of hidden effects and joint influences, and quantification of evaluations are employed in this set of tools. The suggested fuzzy model contributes to overcoming theoretical deficits on the issues of team control, and the methodology of team control fills a gap in the toolkit of team management. The results from verification of the fuzzy team control model at a small-sized Bulgarian enterprise are also discussed in this article. They indicate that it is possible to develop a fuzzy model for team control, increasing the effectiveness of the team control system in the enterprise. (original abstract)
- Parker G., Teams players and teamwork: New strategies for developing successful collaboration, San Francisco, CA, USA: Jossey-Bass, 2011.
- Zivanovic N., Zivanovic V., Todorova D., Reengineering of business processes - strategy of turning points in crisis management, Mechanics Transport Communications, 2, 3-8, 2010.
- Mintzberg H. [online], Organizational configurations, http://www.12manage.com/methods mintzberg configurations.html/, 2013.
- Staneva D., Alexandrova M., Petkov G., Quality Assessment Criteria and Their Role in the Development of a Successful Educational Project Proposal, Periodica Polytechnica: Social and Management Sciences, 23, 2, 84-97, 2015, doi: 10.3311/PPso. 7676.
- Salas E., Stagl K., Burke C., 25 years of team effectiveness in organization: research themes and emerging needs, International Review of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 19, 47-92, 2004.
- Kozlowski S., Gully S., Nason E., Smith E., Developing adaptive teams: A theory of compilation and performance across levels and time, The changing nature of work performance: Implications for staffing, personnel actions, and development, SF, USA: Jossey-Bass, pp. 240-292, 1999.
- McIntyre R., Dickinson T., Systematic assessment of teamwork processes in tactical environments, Norfolk, VA: Old Dominion University, 1992.
- Zigon J., How to measure team performance, Wallingford, USA: Zigon Performance Group, 1998.
- Burns L., Bradley E., Weiner B, Shortell and Kaluzny's health care management: organization design & behaviour, NY: Delmar learning, 2012.
- Tannenbaum S., Beard R., Salas E., Team building and its influence on team effectiveness. Issues, Theory and Research in Industrial/ Organizational Psychology, Amsterdam: Elsevier, pp. 117-153, 1992, doi: 10.1016/S0166-4115(08)62601-1.
- Fayol H., General and Industrial Management, London: Pitman, 1949.
- Bitter L., Management by Exception. NY: McGraw-Hill, 1964.
- Drucker P., The practice of management, NY: Harper, 1954, doi: 10.1080/05775132.1954.11468040.
- Mintzberg H., The nature of managerial work. NY: Harper & Row, 1973.
- Aubert N., Gruere J.P., Jabes J., Laroche H., Michel S., Management: Aspects humains et organisationnels, Paris: PUF, 1991.
- Kandula Sr., Performance management: Strategies, interventions, drivers, Delhi: PHI Learning, 2014.
- Cohen S., Bailey D., What makes teams work: Group effectiveness research from the shop floor to executive suite, Journal of Management, 23, 3, 239-290, 1997, doi: 10.1177/014920639702300303.
- Margerison Ch., McCann D., Team management: practical new approaches, London: Mercury, 1990.
- Freeman R.,Strategic management: a stakeholder spproach, NY: Cambridge, (1984) 2010.
- Simeonov O., Conceptual aspects of the contemporary development of management control, Sofia: Higher School of Insurance and Finance, 2010.
- Guinn K., Performance management: not just an annual appraisal, Personnel, August, 39-42, 1987.
- Flamholtz E., Effective management control: Theory and practice, Norwell, MA: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1996, doi: 10.1007/978-1-4613-1359-5.
- Hamrol A., A new look at some aspects of maintenance and improvement of production processes, Management and Production Engineering Review, 9, 1, 34-43, 2018, doi: 10.24425/119398.
- International Organisation of Supreme Audit Institutions (INTOSAI), Guidelines for performance audit (Ukazani za odita na izpьlnenieto), Sofia: Bulgarian Audit Office, 2004.
- Williams R., Performance management: Perspectives on employee performance, UK: International Thomson Business Press, 1998.
- Ilgen D., Schneider J., Performance measurement: a multidiscipline view, International Review of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 6, 71-108, 1991.
- Caldwell Ch., Performance management, USA: American Management Association, 2000.
- Cardy R., Leonard B., Performance management: Concepts, skills, and exercises, USA: Sharpe, 1984.
- McAfee R., Champagne P., Performance management: a strategy for improving employee performance and productivity, Journal of Managerial Psychology, 8, 5, 24-32, 1993, doi: 10.1108/02683949310040605.
- Ainsworth M., Smith N., Making it happen: Managing performance at work, Sydney: Prentice-Hall, 1993.
- Bojadziev G., Bojadziev M., Fuzzy logic for business, finance, and management, Singapore: World Scientific Publishing, 1997.
- Mamdani E., Assilian S., An Experiment in Linguistic Synthesis with a Fuzzy Logic Controller, International Journal of Man-Machine Studies, 7, 1, 1-13, 1975, doi: 10.1016/S0020-7373(75)80002-2.
- Zadeh L., Outline of a new approach to the analysis of complex systems and decision processes, IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, 1, pp. 28-44, 1973, doi: 10.1109/TSMC.1973.5408575.
- Gawlik R., Methodological aspects of qualitativequantitative analysis of decision-making processes, Management and Production Engineering Review, 7, 2, 3-11, 2016, DOI: 10.1515/mper-2016-0011.
- Zadeh L., Fuzzy sets, Information control, 8, 3, 338-353, 1965, doi: 10.1016/S0019-9958(65)90241-X.
- Zadeh L., Fuzzy sets, fuzzy logic and fuzzy systems - Selected papers by Lotfi A. Zadeh, Singapore:World Scientific, 1996, DOI: 10.1142/2895.
- Kaufmann A., Gil-Aluja J., Modelos para la Investigacion de Efectos Olvidados, Vigo: Pugalsa, 1988.
- Woodcock M., Francis D., Teams metrics: resources for measuring and improving team performance, Amherst, Massachusetts: HRD Press, 2008.
- Mihaylova L., Papazov E., Kirova M., Specificities of strategic controlling in innovative enterprises (after the example of the Bulgarian knitwear industry), Smart and Efficient Economy: Preparation for the Future Innovative Economy (Selected papers), Brno: Brno University of Technology, pp. 573-578, 2016.