Should Creditors Believe in Auditors' Opinions? : Auditors' Independence, Going-Concern Warnings and Credit Risk Assessment
Credit risk assessment is an inherent component of banking activity and it is crucial to analyse time aspect of credit risk. During that assessment banks ought to use only reliable documents to achieve reasonable results. Financial statements should not be the one and only data source support loan decision but they are indispensable. This study is a part of research trend assessing auditors' independence. The purpose of it was twofold. Firstly, to determine if there exists significant dependence between business continuity evidenced by bankruptcies and going-concern warnings paragraphs (GCW) in auditors' opinion. Secondly, to examine possible interrelation of existence GCW in auditors' opinion and non-audit fees earned by these auditors. The research question for this paper is whether banks and other creditors may still base on financial statements and auditor's opinions. To the limitation that the aim of this paper was not to give clear answer which measure of going-concern risk is most appropriate, it presents outcomes of an investigation of a sample of companies quoted on Warsaw Stock Exchange (Poland) main market, that submitted request for bankruptcy to the court register between January 1, 2009 and December 31, 2013. (original abstract)
- Abbott, A., The System of Professions, University of Chicago Press, Chicago IL, 1988.
- Aobdia, D., Shroff, N., Regulatory Oversight and Auditor Market Share, Journal of Accounting & Economics (JAE), Vol. 63, No. 2, 2017, pp. 262-287.
- Austin, E., Herath, S.K., Auditor independence: a review of literature, International Journal of Economics and Accounting, Vol. 5, No. 1, 2014, pp. 62-74.
- Barnes, P., The auditor's going concern decision and Types I and II errors: The Coase Theorem, transaction costs, bargaining power and attempts to mislead, Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Vol. 23, Issue 6, 2004, pp. 415-440.
- Bayou, M.E., Reinstein, A., Williams, P.F., To tell the truth: A discussion of issues concerning truth and ethics in accounting, Accounting, Organizations and Society 36, 2011, 109-124.
- Beattie, V., Fearnley, S., Auditor Independence and Non-Audit Services: A Literature Review, Institute of Chartered Accountants and Wales, 2002.
- Blay, A., Geiger, M., North, D., The Auditor's Going-Concern Opinion as a Communication of Risk, Auditing: A Journal of Practice & Theory, Vol. 30, No. 2, 2011, pp. 77-102.
- Cybinski, P., Windsor, C., The Efficacy of Auditors' Going-Concern Opinions Compared with a Temporal and an Atemporal Bankruptcy Risk Model: Analysing U.S Trade and Service Industry Failures 1974 - 1988, Pacific Accounting Review, Vol. 17, No. 1, 2004, pp. 3-36.
- Dye, R., Auditing standards, legal liability, and auditor wealth, Journal of Political Economy 101 (5), 1993, pp. 887-914.
- Feldmann, D., Read, W.J., Going-concern audit opinions for bankrupt companies - impact of credit rating, Managerial Auditing Journal, Vol. 28, Iss 4, 2013, pp. 345-363.
- Ference, S., Independence is in the eye of the beholder, Journal of Accountancy, June 2013.
- Financial Accounting Standards Board, Statement of Financial Accounting Concepts No. 1, 'Objectives of Financial Reporting by Business Enterprises', 1978.
- Flint, D., Philosophy and Principles of Auditing - An Introduction, Macmillan, London 1988.
- Fogarty, T.J., Think (not so) straight, talk (not so) straight: Andersen's failure to navigate its institutional environment, Journal of Accounting & Organizational Change, Vol. 11, Iss 1, 2015, pp. 73-95.
- Fogarty, T.J., Rigsby, J.T., A reflective analysis of the "new audit" and the public interest: The revolutionary innovation that never came, Journal of Accounting & Organizational Change, Vol. 6, Iss 3, 2010, pp. 300-329.
- Foster, B., Shastri, T., Determinants of going concern opinions and audit fees for development stage enterprises, Advances in Accounting, incorporating Advances in International Accounting, Vol. 33, 2016, pp. 68-84.
- Guy, D., Sullivan, J., The Expectation Gap Auditing Standards, Journal of Accountancy, Vol. 165, Issue 4, 1998, pp. 36-46.
- Hendriksen, E.S., van Breda, M.F., Accounting theory. 5th Edition, Irwin, 1992.
- 155 International Accounting Standards Board, The Conceptual Framework for Financial Reporting, 2010.
- International Federation of Accountants, International Standard on Auditing 200, Overall Objectives of the Independent Auditor and the Conduct of an Audit in Accordance with International Standards on Auditing, 2009.
- International Federation of Accountants, International Standard on Auditing 570, Going Concern, 2009.
- Iyengar, R.J., Zampelli, E.M., Auditor independence, executive pay and firm performance, Accounting and Finance, 48 (2008), pp. 259-278.
- Jensen, M.C., Meckling, W., Theory of the firm: managerial behavior, agency costs, and ownership structure, Journal of Financial Economics 3, 1976, pp. 305-360.
- Kałużny, R., Rating w banku komercyjnym, Bank nr 7/8, 2002, s. 73-74.
- Kałużny, R., Pomiar ryzyka kredytowego banku: aspekty finansowe i rachunkowe, Wydawnictwo Naukowe PWN, 2009.
- Kałużny, R., Piechocka-Kałużna, A., Censoring as an aspect of truth in financial statements of insurance companies. Case of Poland, 2018, the paper under publication.
- Kausar, A., Taffler, R. and Tan, C., The going-concern market anomaly, Journal of Accounting Research, Vol. 47, No. 1, 2009, pp. 213-239.
- Kirk, N.E., 'True and Fair View' versus 'Present Fairly in Conformity with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, Massey University School of Accountancy, Discussion Paper Series 208, 2001.
- Lai, K.-W., Audit Opinion and Disclosure of Audit Fees, Journal of Accounting, Auditing & Finance, Vol. 24, Issue 1, 2009, pp. 91-114.
- Law, P., An empirical comparison of non-Big 4 and Big 4 auditors' perceptions of auditor independence, Managerial Auditing Journal, Vol. 23, Issue 9, 2008, pp. 917-934.
- Lee, T., Corporate Audit Theory, Chapman & Hall, New York, NY, 1993.
- Lowe, D.J., Pany, K., An examination of the effects of type of engagements, materiality, and structure on CPA consulting engagements with audit clients, Accounting Horizon, Vol. 10(4), 1996, pp. 32-52.
- Mautz, R., Sharaf, H., The Philosophy of Auditing, American Accounting Association, Sarasota, FL, 1961.
- Mcgrath, S., Siegel, A., Dunfee, T., Glazer, A., Jaenicke, H., A Framework for Auditor Independence, Journal of Accountancy, January 2001.
- Metzker, C., The truth, the who truth and nothing but the truth in financial reporting, AFP Exchange; Bethesda Tom 23, Nr 1, 2003, pp. 56-58.
- Mutchler, P., Auditor's Perceptions of the Going-Concern Opinion Decision, Auditing: A Journal of Practice & Theory, Vol. 3, Issue 2, 1984, pp. 17-30.
- 156 Mutchler, J., Williams, D., The Relationship Between Audit Technology, Client Risk Profiles, and the Going-Concern Opinion Decision, A Journal of Practice & Theory, Vol. 9, No. 3, 1990, pp. 39-54.
- Regulation (EU) no 537/2014 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 16 April 2014 on specific requirements regarding statutory audit of public-interest entities and repealing commission decision 2005/909/EC, Official Journal of the European Union L 158/77.
- Sharma, D.S., Sidhu, J., Professionalism vs commercialism: The association between non-audit services (NAS) and audit independence, Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, June/July, 2001, pp. 595-629.
- Simunic, D., The pricing of audit services: Theory and evidence, Journal of Accounting Research, Vol. 18, No. 1, 1980, pp. 161-190.
- Schneider, A., Church, B.K., Ely, K.M., Non-audit Services and the Auditor Independence: A Review of the Literature, Journal of Accounting Literature, Vol. 25, 2006, pp. 169-211.
- Tagesson, T., Öhman, P., To be or not to be - auditors' ability to signal going concern problems, Journal of Accounting & Organizational Change, Vol. 11, Iss 2, 2015, pp. 175-192.
- Ustawa z dnia 29.09.1994 roku o rachunkowości, Dz. U. z 2018 r. poz. 395 ze zm.
- Ustawa z dnia 15.09.2000 roku Kodeks spółek handlowych, Dz. U. z 2017 r. poz. 1577 ze zm.
- Ustawa z dnia 28.02.2003 roku Prawo upadłościowe, Dz. U. z 2017 r. poz. 2344 ze zm.
- Ustawa z dnia 11.05.2017 roku o biegłych rewidentach, firmach audytorskich oraz nadzorze publicznym, Dz. U. z 2017 r. poz. 1089 ze zm.
- Wines, G., Auditor independence, audit qualifications and the provision of non-audit services: A note. Accounting and Finance Vol 34 (1), 1994, pp. 75-86.