Information Technology Adaptation in Indian Small and Medium Sized Enterprises: Opportunities and Challenges Ahead
The purpose of the study is to analyze the opportunities and the challenges associated with the adoption of Information technology in the Indian SMEs. The significant usage of Information Technology in the SME sector and the factors that influence the business are discussed. SME industry in India has shown substantial growth over the past few years. The implementation of new technologies tends to offer better opportunities to the companies particularly for SME sector in India. However, there are a few challenges associated with technology adaptation that needs attention. This research is focused on improved business quality and responsiveness towards market opportunities while using the latest technologies available. This study is based on a review of research journals and articles including news magazines concerning current SME market situation in India. The current market scenario of Indian SMEs, as well as several policy interventions and new trends in the market were discussed. (original abstract)
- Garg I.,Walia S., Micro, small & medium enterprises (MSME's) in post reform India: Status & performance, International Journal of Latest Trends in Engineering and Technology (IJLTET), 1, 134-141, 2012.
- "Digital MSME" Scheme for promotion of Information & Communication Technology in MSME Sector: A report on Component of National Manufacturing Competitiveness Programme, 2017, http://www.dcmsme.gov.in/Digital MSME ICT.pdf.
- Shridhar M., Incubators and science parks: strategies for developing countries, 2006, www.anprotec. org.br/idisc/pdfs/publiacoes/155.doc
- Indian Start-up Ecosystem - Traversing the Maturity Cycle - 2017, NASSCOM - Zinnov report on Indian startup ecosystem, http://nasscom.in/knowledge-center/publications/indian-start-ecosystem- -traversing-maturity-cycle-edition-2017.
- Europe - India SME Business Council, Connecting SMEs for Better Business Growth, http://www.eisbc.org/Definition of Indian SMEs.aspx.
- Blili S., Raymonds L., Adopting EDI in a network enterprise: the case of subcontracting SMEs, European Journal of Purchasing & Supply Management, 3, 3, 165-75, 1997.
- Cragg P.B., King M., Small-firm computing: motivators and inhibitors Management Information Systems, Quarterly, pp. 47-60, 1993.
- Gupta V., MacMillan I.C., Surie G., India: World Bank to support small and medium sized enterprises, 2005, http://worldbank.org.in/WBSITE/EXTERNAL/COUNTRIES/SOUTHASIAEXT/IN.
- Dixon T., Thompson B., McAllister P., The value of ICT for SMEs in the UK: a critical review of literature, Report for the Small Business Service Research Programme, The College of Estate Management, Reading, 2002.
- Premkumar G., A meta-analysis of research on information technology, implementation in small business, Journal of Organizational Computing and Electronic Commerce, 13, 2, 91-121, 2003, https://doi.org/10.1207/S15327744JOCE1302 2.
- Tan K., Chong S., Lin B., Eze U., Internet-based ICT adoption: evidence from Malaysian SMEs, Industrial Management & Data Systems, 109, 224-44, 2009.
- Alberto B.M., Fernando L.L., A firm-level analysis of determinants of ICT adoption in Spain, Technovation, 27, 352-66, 2007.
- Lymer A., The internet and small businesses: a study of impacts, Fifth European Conference on Information Systems, Cork Publishing, Cork, 1997.
- Neirotti P., Cantamessa M., Paolucci E., Do companies with a competitive advantage make better use of IT? Evidence from Italian enterprises, International Journal Technology Management, 42, 1/2, 158-184, 2008.
- Setia P., Venkatesh V., Joglekar S., Leveraging digital technologies: how information quality leads to localized capabilities and customer service performance, MIS Quarterly, 37, 2, 565-590, 2013.
- Soto Acosta P., Mero˜no Cerdan A., An analysis and comparison of web development between local governments and SMEs in Spain, International Journal of Electronic Business, 4, 2, 191-203, 2006.
- Katz R., Koutroumpis P., Callorda F.M., Using a digitization index to measure the economic and social impact of digital agendas, Info, 16, 1, 32-44, 2014.
- World Economic Forum, The Global Information Technology Report 2013, Geneva, 2013.
- NIST, Final version of NIST cloud computing definitione published, Journal of High Technology Management Research, 28, 125-141, 2011.
- Mell P., Grance T., The NIST definition of cloud computing, 2010, www.newinnovationsguide.com/NIST Cloud Definition.pdf.
- Rittinghouse J.W., Ransome J.F., Cloud computing implementation, management and security, CRC Press Taylor & Francis Group, 2009.
- Brynjolfsson E., Hoffman P., Jordan J., Cloud computing and electricity: beyond the utility model, Communications of the ACM, 53, 5, 2010.
- Annual report 2016-2017: Government of India Ministry of Commerce and Industry Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion, http://www.dipp.nic.in/sites/default/files/AnnualReport Eng 2016-17 0.pdf.
- Chong S.C., Lin B., Exploring KM issues and KM performance outcomes: empirical evidence from Malaysian Multimedia Super Corridor companies, International Journal of Technology Management, 43, 4, 285-303, 2008.