Factors Influencing Beliefs Formation towards the Adoption of Social Commerce in SME Travel Agencies
The purpose of this study is to investigate the factors that influence beliefs formation towards the adoption of social commerce in SME travel agencies. Accordingly, a distal-proximal model is developed to study CEOs' beliefs towards the usefulness of social commerce. Data were collected through a questionnaire survey of travel agencies' CEOs in Isfahan, Iran. With 180 collected data from respondents, the Partial Least Squares-Structural Equation Modeling approach was taken to assess both measurement and structural models of the study. The results revealed that CEOs' innovativeness and attitude towards IT as individual factors, and organizational resources as institutional factor were significantly explained beliefs formation of respondents towards the usefulness of social commerce. However, it was found that the influences of CEOs' IT knowledge, subjective norms (professional peers, employees) and firm size on perceived usefulness were found insignificant. Implications of the study are further discussed. (original abstract)
- Higher Education Institute of Al-Mahdi Mehr Isfahan, Isfahan, Iran
- University of Isfahan, Isfahan, Iran
- Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, Johor, Malaysia
- Princess Nourah Bint Abdulrahman University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
- Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, Skudai, Malaysia
- Lithuanian Institute of Agricultural Economics, Vilnius, Lithuania
- Abou-Shouk, M. A., Lim, W. M. & Megicks, P. (2016). Using competing models to evaluate the role of environmental pressures in ecommerce adoption by small and medium sized travel agents in a developing country. Tourism Management, 52, 327-339.
- Agarwal, R. & Prasad, J. (1998). A conceptual and operational definition of personal innovativeness in the domain of information technology. Information systems research, 9, 204-215.
- Ajzen, I. & Fishbein, M. (1980). Understanding attitudes and predicting social. Behaviour. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
- Ajzen, I. (1991). The theory of planned behavior. Organizational behavior and human decision processes, 50, 179-211.
- Akman, I. & Mishra, A. (2015). Sector diversity in Green Information Technology practices: Technology Acceptance Model perspective. Computers in Human Behavior, 49, 477-486.
- Al - Qirim, N. (2005). An Empirical Investigation of an e - commerce Adoption - Capability Model in Small Businesses in New Zealand. Electronic Markets, 15, 418-437.
- Al-Qirim, N. (2008). The adoption of eCommerce communications and applications technologies in small businesses in New Zealand. Electronic Commerce Research and Applications, 6, 462-473.
- Anderson, J. C. & Gerbing, D. W. (1988). Structural equation modeling in practice: A review and recommended two-step approach. Psychological bulletin, 103, 411.
- Broman Toft, M., Schuitema, G. & Thøgersen, J. (2014). Responsible technology acceptance: Model development and application to consumer acceptance of Smart Grid technology. Applied Energy, 134, 392-400.
- Brown, I. & Russell, J. (2007). Radio frequency identification technology: An exploratory study on adoption in the South African retail sector. International journal of information management, 27, 250-265.
- Cabelkova, I., Strielkowski, W., & Mirvald, M. (2015). Business influence on the mass media: A case study of 21 countries. Transformations in business & economics, 14(1). 65-75.
- Chatzoglou, P. & Chatzoudes, D. (2016). Factors affecting e-business adoption in SMEs: an empirical research. Journal of Enterprise Information Management, 29, 327-358.
- Chuang, T.-T., Rutherford, M. W. & Lin, B. (2007). Owner/manager characteristics, organisational characteristics and IT adoption in small and medium enterprises. International Journal of Management and Enterprise Development, 4, 619-634.
- Ciabuschi, F., Perna, A. & Snehota, I. (2012). Assembling resources when forming a new business. Journal of Business Research, 65, 220-229.
- Cohen, J. (1992). A Power Primer. Psychological bulletin, 112, 155-519.
- Curty, R. G. & Zhang, P. (2011). Social commerce: Looking back and forward. Proceedings of the Association for Information Science and Technology, 48, 1-10.
- Davis, F. D. (1989). Perceived usefulness, perceived ease of use, and user acceptance of information technology. MIS quarterly, 319-340.
- Davis, F. D., Bagozzi, R. P. & Warshaw, P. R. (1989). User acceptance of computer technology: a comparison of two theoretical models. Management science, 35, 982-1003.
- De Jong, J. P. & Marsili, O. (2006). The fruit flies of innovations: A taxonomy of innovative small firms. Research policy, 35, 213-229.
- Dobeš, K., Kot, S., Kramoliš, J., Sopková, G. (2017). The Perception of Governmental Support in The Context of Competitiveness of SMEs in the Czech Republic. Journal of Competitiveness, 9(3), 34-50.
- El-Gohary, H. (2011). e-marketing: Towards a Conceptualisation of a New Marketing Philosophy. Innovations in SMEs and conducting e-business: Technologies, trends and solutions. IGI Global.
- El-Gohary, H. (2012). Factors affecting E-Marketing adoption and implementation in tourism firms: An empirical investigation of Egyptian small tourism organisations. Tourism management, 33, 1256-1269.
- Fulk, J. (1993). Social construction of communication technology. Academy of Management journal, 36, 921-950.
- Ghobakhloo, M., Arias-Aranda, D. & Benitez-Amado, J. (2011). Adoption of e-commerce applications in SMEs. Industrial Management & Data Systems, 111, 1238-1269.
- Gonzalez-Perez, M., Velez-Ocampo, J., & Herrera-Cano, C. (2018). Entrepreneurs' Features Affecting the Internationalisation of Service SMEs. Entrepreneurial Business and Economics Review, 6(2), 9-28. doi: https://doi.org/10.15678/EBER.2018.060201
- Grandon, E. E. & Pearson, J. M. (2004). Electronic commerce adoption: An empirical study of small and medium US businesses. Information & management, 42, 197-216.
- Hair , J. F., Hult, G. T. M., Ringle, C. & Sarstedt, M. (2013). A primer on partial least squares structural equation modeling (PLS-SEM), Los Angeles, US, Sage Publications.
- Hair Jr, J. F. & Hult, G. T. M. (2016). A primer on partial least squares structural equation modeling (PLS-SEM), Sage Publications.
- Hair, J. F., Ringle, C. M. & Sarstedt, M. (2011). PLS-SEM: Indeed a silver bullet. The Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice, 19, 139-152.
- Hajli, M. (2013). A research framework for social commerce adoption. Information Management & Computer Security, 21, 144-154.
- Hajli, N. 2015. Social commerce constructs and consumer's intention to buy. International Journal of Information Management, 35, 183-191.
- Hussein, R., Karim, N. S. A., Mohamed, N. & Ahlan, A. R. (2007). The influence of organizational factors on information systems success in e-government agencies in Malaysia. The Electronic Journal of Information Systems in Developing Countries, 29.
- Yesil, S. & Sozbilir, F. (2013). An Empirical Investigation into the Impact of Personality on Individual Innovation Behaviour in the Workplace. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 81, 540-551.
- Ivanová, E. & Čepel, M. (2018). The Impact of Innovation Performance on the Competitiveness of the Visegrad 4 Conutries. Journal of Competitiveness, 10(1), 54-72.
- Jantan, M., Ramayah, T., Ismail, N. & Salehudin, A. (2001). The CEO and AMT adoption in Malaysian small and medium scale manufacturing industries. Proceedings of the International Conference on Information Technology, Lausanne, Switzerland.
- Kabanda, S. & Brown, I. (2017). A structuration analysis of Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) adoption of E-Commerce: The case of Tanzania. Telematics and Informatics, 34, 118-132.
- Kelman, H. C. (1958). Compliance, identification, and internalization three processes of attitude change. Journal of Conflict Resolution, 2, 51-60.
- Knežević, B., & Delić, M. (2017). Young Consumers' Perception of Problems and Usefulness of Mobile Shopping Applications. Entrepreneurial Business and Economics Review, 5(1), 43-58. doi: https://doi.org/10.15678/EBER.2017.050103
- Kot, S., Tan, M., Dragolea, L. (2017), The Use of Social Media Supporting Studying, Economics and Sociology, 10(1), 169-180. doi:10.14254/2071-789X.2017/10-1/12
- Kroon, B., Van De Voorde, K. & Timmers, J. (2013). High performance work practices in small firms: a resource-poverty and strategic decision-making perspective. Small Business Economics, 41, 71-91.
- Kuan, K. K. & Chau, P. Y. (2001). A perception-based model for EDI adoption in small businesses using a technology-organization-environment framework. Information & management, 38, 507-521.
- Kula, V. & Tatoglu, E. (2003). An exploratory study of Internet adoption by SMEs in an emerging market economy. European Business Review, 15, 324-333.
- Kurnia, S., Choudrie, J., Mahbubur, R. M. & Alzougool, B. (2015). E-commerce technology adoption: A Malaysian grocery SME retail sector study. Journal of Business Research, 68, 1906-1918.
- Lai, H.-J. (2017). Examining civil servants' decisions to use Web 2.0 tools for learning, based on the decomposed theory of planned behavior. Interactive Learning Environments, 25, 295-305.
- Leal-Rodríguez, A. L., Eldridge, S., Roldán, J. L., Leal-Millán, A. G. & Ortega-Gutiérrez, J. (2015). Organizational unlearning, innovation outcomes, and performance: The moderating effect of firm size. Journal of Business Research, 68, 803-809.
- Lee, M.-C. (2009). Factors influencing the adoption of internet banking: An integration of TAM and TPB with perceived risk and perceived benefit. Electronic Commerce Research and Applications, 8, 130-141.
- Lepoutre, J. & Heene, A. (2006). Investigating the impact of firm size on small business social responsibility: A critical review. Journal of business ethics, 67, 257-273.
- Lewis, W., Agarwal, R. & Sambamurthy, V. (2003). Sources of influence on beliefs about information technology use: An empirical study of knowledge workers. MIS quarterly, 657-678.
- Liao, Y.-W., Huang, Y.-M., Chen, H.-C. & Huang, S.-H. (2015). Exploring the antecedents of collaborative learning performance over social networking sites in a ubiquitous learning context. Computers in Human Behavior, 43, 313-323.
- Liébana-Cabanillas, F. & Alonso-Dos-Santos, M. (2017). Factors that determine the adoption of Facebook commerce: The moderating effect of age. Journal of Engineering and Technology Management.
- Lin, S.-W. & Fu, H.-P. (2012). Uncovering critical success factors for business-to-customer electronic commerce in travel agencies. Journal of travel & tourism marketing, 29, 566-584.
- Lindell, M. K. & Whitney, D. J. (2001). Accounting for common method variance in cross-sectional research designs. Journal of applied psychology, 86, 114.
- Liobikienė, G., Mandravickaitė, J. & Bernatonienė, J. (2016). Theory of planned behavior approach to understand the green purchasing behavior in the EU: A cross-cultural study. Ecological Economics, 125, 38-46.
- Lu, B., Fan, W. & Zhou, M. (2016). Social presence, trust, and social commerce purchase intention: an empirical research. Computers in Human Behavior, 56, 225-237.
- Molla, A. & Licker, P. S. (2005). eCommerce adoption in developing countries: a model and instrument. Information & management, 42, 877-899.
- Nasihatkon, B., Kheiri, J., & Miralbell, O. (2016). Social media and hotel e-marketing in Iran: The case of Parsian International Hotels. Turyzm, 26(2), 15-21.
- Oh, K.-Y., Cruickshank, D. & Anderson, A. R. (2009). The adoption of e-trade innovations by Korean small and medium sized firms. Technovation, 29, 110-121.
- Ongori, H. (2009). Role of Information Communication Technologies Adoption in SMES: Evidence from Botswana. Research Journal of Information Technology, 1, 79-85.
- Pagani, M. (2006). Determinants of adoption of high speed data services in the business market: evidence for a combined technology acceptance model with task technology fit model. Information & Management, 43, 847-860.
- Peltier, J. W., Zhao, Y. & Schibrowsky, J. A. (2012). Technology adoption by small businesses: an exploratory study of the interrelationships of owner and environmental factors. International Small Business Journal, 30, 406-431.
- Pinkovetskaia, I. S., Nikitina, I. N. & Gromova, T. V. (2018). The Role of Small and Medium Entrepreneurship in the Economy of Russia. Montenegrin Journal of Economics, 14(3), 177-188.
- Pinkovetskaia, I. S. & Balynin, I. V. (2018). Structure of Small and Medium-Sized Business: Results of Total Statistic Observations in Russia. Montenegrin Journal of Economics, 14(1), 143-158.
- Podsakoff, P. M., MacKenzie, S. B., Lee, J.-Y. & Podsakoff, N. P. (2003). Common method biases in behavioral research: a critical review of the literature and recommended remedies. Journal of applied psychology, 88, 879.
- Rahayu, R. & Day, J. (2015). Determinant Factors of E-commerce Adoption by SMEs in Developing Country: Evidence from Indonesia. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 195, 142-150.
- Ramayah, T., Ling, N. S., Taghizadeh, S. K. & Rahman, S. A. (2016). Factors influencing SMEs website continuance intention in Malaysia. Telematics and Informatics, 33, 150-164.
- Ramdani, B. & Kawalek, P. (2007). SMEs & IS innovations adoption: a review & assessment of previous research. Academia. Revista Latinoamericana de Administración, 47-70.
- Ringle, C. M., Wende, S. & Becker, J.-M. (2015). SmartPLS 3. Boenningstedt: SmartPLS GmbH, http://www.smartpls.com.
- Rutovic, Z. (2016). Economic aspects of media globalization. Journal of International Studies, 9(2), 233-243.
- Seyal, A. H. & Rahman, M. N. A. (2003). A preliminary investigation of e-commerce adoption in small & medium enterprises in Brunei. Journal of Global Information Technology Management, 6, 6-26.
- Siamagka, N.-T., Christodoulides, G., Michaelidou, N. & Valvi, A. (2015). Determinants of social media adoption by B2B organizations. Industrial Marketing Management.
- Soteriades, M., Aivalis, C. & Varvaressos, S. (2004). E-marketing and E-commerce in the Tourism Industry: A Framework to Develop and Implement Business Initiatives. Tourism Today Tourism Today.
- Strielkowski, W. (2017). Promoting Tourism Destination through Film-Induced Tourism: The Case of Japan. Trziste, 29(2), 193-203.
- Tan, J., Tyler, K. & Manica, A. (2007). Business-to-business adoption of eCommerce in China. Information & management, 44, 332-351.
- Teh, P.-L. & Ahmed, P. K. Understanding social commerce adoption: An extension of the Technology Acceptance Model. Management of Innovation and Technology (ICMIT), 2012 IEEE International Conference on, 2012. IEEE, 359-364.
- Thong, J. Y. & Yap, C.-S. (1995). CEO characteristics, organizational characteristics and information technology adoption in small businesses. Omega, 23, 429-442.
- Thong, J. Y., Yap, C.-S. & Raman, K. (1996). Top management support, external expertise and information systems implementation in small businesses. Information systems research, 7, 248-267.
- Tsai, H.-T., Huang, L. & Lin, C.-G. (2005). Emerging e-commerce development model for Taiwanese travel agencies. Tourism Management, 26, 787-796.
- Venkatesh, V. & Bala, H. (2008). Technology acceptance model 3 and a research agenda on interventions. Decision sciences, 39, 273-315.
- Vojtovič, S. (2016). The Impact of the Structural Funds on Competitiveness of Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises. Journal of Competitiveness, 8(4), 30-45.
- Widya-Hasuti, A., Mardani, A., Streimikiene, D., Sharifara, A., & Cavallaro, F. (2018). The Role of Process Innovation between Firm-Specific Capabilities and Sustainable Innovation in SMEs: Empirical Evidence from Indonesia. Sustainability, 10, 2244.
- Wu, B. & Chen, X. (2016). Continuance intention to use MOOCs: Integrating the technology acceptance model (TAM) and task technology fit (TTF) model. Computers in Human Behavior.
- Wu, J.-J. & Chang, Y.-S. (2006). Effect of transaction trust on e-commerce relationships between travel agencies. Tourism Management, 27, 1253-1261.
- Zhang, H., Lu, Y., Gupta, S. & Zhao, L. (2014). What motivates customers to participate in social commerce? The impact of technological environments and virtual customer experiences. Information & Management, 51, 1017-1030.
- Zhang, K. Z. & Benyoucef, M. (2016). Consumer behavior in social commerce: A literature review. Decision Support Systems, 86, 95-108.
- Zhou, L., Zhang, P. & Zimmermann, H.-D. (2013). Social commerce research: An integrated view. Electronic commerce research and applications, 12, 61-68.
- Zhu, K. & Kraemer, K. L. (2005). Post-adoption variations in usage and value of e-business by organizations: cross-country evidence from the retail industry. Information systems research, 16, 61-84.