Digital Transformation of Business Models
The goal of the article is to present the scope of changes in the morphology of business models in contemporary organizations that took place in the recent decades, because of the massive technological development, framed under the concept of "digital transformation (DT)." An enhanced business model canvas concept is used as a base for presenting the changes, with a general time cutoff set in the year 2000. For the period before and after this measurement date, key elements of the business model and the drivers of their transformation are documented in a structured form and commented, together with practical conclusions and proposed further study areas. (original abstract)
- Bughin, J., Catlin, T., Hirt, M., Willmott, P., 2018. Why Digital Strategies Fail. January 2018, McKinsey Insights [online]. https://www.mckinsey.com/business-functions/digital-mckinsey/our-insights/why-digital-strategies-fail, [Accessed 3 February 2018].
- Burkhardt, T., Krumeich, J., Werth, D., Loos, P., 2011. Analyzing the Business Model Concept. German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence (DFKI), Institute for Information Systems (IWi) Saarbrücken, Germany [online]. Available at: http://aisel.aisnet.org/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1263&context=icis2011, [Accessed 10 January 2018].
- Jensen, A.B., 2013. Do We Need One Business Model Definition? Journal of Business Models, Vol. 1, No. 1 pp.61-84, [online]. Available at: https://journals.aau.dk/index.php/JOBM/article/download/705/542, [Accessed 22 December 2017].
- Leibniz, G.G., 1703. Explication de l'arithmétique binaire. Académie royale des sciences. Digital version stored at Archive Ouverte HAL, Le Centre pour la Communication Scientifique Directe [online]. https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/ads-00104781/document, [Accessed 10 December 2017].
- Osterwalder, A., Pigneur, Y., 2010. Business Model Generation. John Wiley & Sons.
- Ovans, A., 2015. What is a Business Model. Harvard Business Review, [online]. Available at: https://hbr.org/2015/01/what-is-a-businessmodel, [Accessed 23 December 2017].
- Oxford, 2017. Business Model: Definition. Oxford online dictionary, [online]. Available at: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/business_model, [Accessed 7 November 2017].
- Seppänen, M., 2009. Empirical classification of resources in a business model concept. Intangible Capital 5(2). 10.3926/ic.103. Tampere University of Technology (Finland), [online]. Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/307686699_Empirical_classification_of_resources_in_a_business_model_concept, [Accessed 10 January 2018].
- Weill, P., Malone, T.W., Apel, T.G., 2011, The Business Models Investors Prefer. MIT Sloan Management review, [online]. Available at: https://sloanreview.mit.edu/article/the-businessmodels-investors-prefer/, [Accessed 15 May 2017]. FoMr18v10n1s