The Effects of Road Taxation on the Intermodal Splits in the Hamburg-Le Havre Range
The paper will try to determine the effect of road tax and/or road environmental policies on the intermodal split of ports in the Hamburg-Le Havre (HLH) range. We take the case of an EU-wide policy on trucks to reduce road traffic and we explore a scenario using the modified Generic Statistical Information Model (GSIM) model. A 10% EU road tax on all EU member states has led to a reduction in the market share for the HLH range of ports vis-à-vis non-EU ports. The number of containers is expected to drop by 1 million TEU. The results are relatively less clear-cut: the EU road policy has a positive impact on the market shares of the ports of Amsterdam, Rotterdam and Bremerhaven, and a very negative effect, especially on the ports of Le Havre and Hamburg. As for the intermodal split, the results show that there is a decrease ranging from 1 to 5% of road transport share (with a decrease of 5% for the port of Le Havre, and a decrease of 1% for the port of Bremerhaven) to the benefit of rail and waterway transport. However, substitution is imperfect, so the increases in rail and inland waterway modes of transport do not compensate fully for the decrease in the number of containers transported by road. (original abstract)
- Aronietis, R., Markianidou, P., Meersman, H., Pauwels, T., Pirenne, M., Van de Voorde, E & Verhetsel, A.(2010), Some effects of hinterland infrastructure pricing on port competitiveness: case of Antwerp. In 12th World Conference on Transport Research. Lisboa.
- Acciaro, M., & McKinnon, A. (2013). Efficient hinterland transport infrastructure and services for large container ports. International Transport Forum Discussion Paper.
- Caldeirinha, V., Felício, J. A., & Dionísio, A. (2013). Effect of the container terminal characteristics on performance. CEFAGE-UE Working Paper.
- de Jong, G., Schroten, A., van Essen, H, Otten, M., & Bucci, P. (2010),The price sensitivity of road freight transport: A review of elasticities. Applied transport economics, a management and policy perspective, De Boeck, Antwerp.
- Francois, J., & Hall, H. K.(2003).Global simulation analysis of industry-level trade policy. Technical paper.
- Intermodal Holland. (2008). Bureauvoorlichtingbinnenvaart.nl. Retrieved 1 February 2018, fromhttps://www.bureauvoorlichtingbinnenvaart.nl/assets/files/def-boekje intermodal.pdf
- Notteboom, T. (2008). The relationship between seaports and the inter-modal hinterland in light of global supply chains. Notteboom, T. E., & Winkelmans, W. (2001),Structural changes in logistics: how will port authorities face the challenge? Maritime Policy & Management, 28(1), 71-89.
- Peters, H. J. (2001) Developments in global sea trade and container shipping markets: their effects on the port industry and private sector involvement. International Journal of Maritime Economics, 3(1), 3-26.
- Tongzon, J., & Heng, W.(2005),Port privatization, efficiency and competitiveness: Some empirical evidence from container ports (terminals). Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, 39(5), 405-424.
- Trujillo, L., & Nombela, G.(1999),Privatization and regulation of the seaport industry (Vol. 2181). World Bank Publications.
- Zhang, M., van den Driest, M., Wiegmans, B., & Tavasszy, L. (2011), The impact of CO2 pricing or biodiesel on container transport in and passing through the Netherlands. International Journal of Shipping and Transport Logistics, 6(5), 531-551.
- Strike handicaps Le Havre port's rail, barge operations. (2016). Joc.com. Retrieved 15 April 2018, from https://www.joc.com/port-news/european-ports/port-le-havre/strike-handicaps-le-havre-portâs-rail-barge-operations_20160523.html
- Serious disruption for French ports as five-day strike begins. (2011). Porttechnology.org. Retrieved 15 April 2018, from https://www.porttechnology.org/news/serious_disruption_for_french_ports_as_five_day_strike_begins
- Tiwari, Piyush & ITO, Hidekazu & Doi, Masayuki. (2003). Shippers' Port and Carrier Selection Behaviour in China: A Discrete Choice Analysis. Maritime Economics and Logistics. 5. 23-39. 10.1057/palgrave.mel.9100062.
- Flores Herrera, B. (1999). Competitive strategies for container ports: analysis of competition and competitors in the Hamburg-Le Havre range?.