Internal Factors of Bank Profitability in the Republic of Serbia
For adequate profitability management, it is important to identify all the factors that lead to its rise or fall, as well as to determine the intensity of correlation between relevant factors and profitability. This is to take timely and adequate measures to eliminate deviations arising from the expected profitability and improve it in the future period. The research subject is bank profitability in the Republic of Serbia in the period 2012-2015. The research objective is to outline the possible factors of bank profitability, with particular reference to internal factors of banking sector profitability in the Republic of Serbia. Research results show a high degree of correlation between the ROA and ROE profitability ratios, both statically and dynamically; dynamics of profitability ratios is in inverse correlation with capital adequacy ratio; there is a link between bank size and profitability and a link between the change of bank ownership and profitability, but it does not necessarily mean that foreign banks are more profitable than domestic banks. (original abstract)
- Alihodžić, A. (2017). Interdependence between return and risk of banks in the Republic of Serbia. Ekonomski Vjesnik / Economic Views], God. XXX, BR. 1, 9-19. Retrieved July 10, 2018, from https://hrcak.srce.hr
- Arshadi, N., Lawrence, C. E. (1987). An empirical investigation of new bank performance. Journal of Banking and Finance, 11(1), 33-48.
- Berger, N. A., Clarke, R. G. George, Cull, R., Klapper, L. Udell, F. G. (2005). Corporate governance and bank performance: a joint analysis of the static, selection, and dynamic effects of domestic, foreign, and state ownership. Journal of Banking & Finance, 29, 2179-2221.
- Bhimjee, C. D., Ramos, B. S., Dias, G. J. (2016). Banking industry performance in the wake of the global financial crisis. International Review of Financial Analysis, 48, 376-387.
- Bonin, P. J., Hasan, I., Wachtel, P. (2005). Bank performance, efficiency and ownership in transition countries. Journal of Banking & Finance, 29, 31-53.
- Bucevska, V., Misheva, H. B. (2017). The determinants of profitability in the Banking industry: empirical research on selected Balkan countries. Eastern European Economics, 55(2), 146-167.
- Dietrich, A., Wanzenried, G. (2014). The determinants of commercial banking profitability in low-, middle-, and high-income countries. The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, 54, 337-354.
- Djalilov, K., Piesse, J. (2016). Determinants of bank profitability in transition countries: What matters most? Research in International Business and Finance, 38, 69-82.
- Ganić, M., Ismić, B., Riđić, O. (2015). What drives the profitability of the banking sector? An empirical evidence from Bosia & Herzegovina, The Romanian Economic Journal, XVIII, 55, 39-56.
- Gupta, D. (2015). Profitability of old & new private sector banks in India during 2001-02-2010-11: a comparative empirical analysis. Journal of Commerce & Management Thought, 6(2), 235-257.
- Knežević, A., Dobromirov, D. (2016). The determinants of Serbian banking industry profitability. Economic Research-Ekonomska istraživanja, 29(1), 459-474.
- Lin, X., Zhang, Y. (2009). Bank ownership reform and bank performance in China. Journal of Banking & Finance, 33(1), 20-29.
- Medeiros Garcia, T. M., Guerreiro, M. S. P. J. (2016). Internal and external determinants of banks' profitability. Journal of Economic Studies, 43(1), 90-107.
- Petria, N., Capraru, B., Ihnatov, I. (2015). Determinants of banks' profitability: evidence from EU 27 banking systems. Procedia Economics and Finance, 20, 518-524.
- Regehr, K., Sengupta, R. (2016). Has the relationship between bank size and profitability changed? Has the Relationship between Bank Size and Profitability Changed?. Economic Review, Q II, 49-72.
- Seemule, M., Sinha, N., Ndlovu, T. (2017). Determinants of commercial banks' profitability in Botswana: an empirical analysis. The IUP Journal of Bank Management, XVI(2), 7-28.
- Serbian Banking (2012-2015). Bankarstvo, Udruženje banaka Srbije p.u. (en. Association of Serbian banks b.a.), Beograd.
- Staikouras, C., Mamatzakis, E., Koutsomanoli-Filippaki, A. (2007). Operating performance of the banking industry: an empirical investigation of the South Eastern European region. South-Eastern Europe Journal of Economics, 5(2), 245-266.