The Effect of Saving Format ("%-off" vs. "Amount-off") on the Change of Internal Reference Price : an Empirical Study
Recently, price promotion campaigns have been used increasingly in the commercial sector. Since, for marketing specialists, price presentation has a strong impact on consumer perceptions, it is important to organize price promotions that consumers perceive positively. Purpose: The first objective of this study is to examine the effects on the consumer internal reference price of saving formats displayed in %-off as opposed to those expressed as amount-off. The second objective of the paper is to analyse whether the moderating effect of the discount level (low vs. high) and price confidence (low vs. high) will influence the main relationship between saving format and change of internal reference price. Methodology: In order to achieve the objective of the current research, both primary and secondary data were examined. Secondary data were gathered from reliable sources on price promotion, whereas primary data were collected through a survey. Findings: The results of the empirical research give suggestions to retailers as to which format of price promotion to select in order to diminish or avoid drastic reductions of the consumer internal reference price, considering the discount level and consumer characteristics such as price confidence. (original abstract)
- Alba, J.W.; Mela, C.F.; Urbany, J.E. (1999): The effect of discount frequency and depth on consumer price judgments, in: Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 26, No. 2, pp. 99-114.
- Alford, B.L.; Biswas, A. (2002): The effects of discount level, price consciousness and sale proneness on consumers' price perception and behavioral intention, in: Journal Business Research, Vol. 55, No. 9, pp. 775-783.
- Bearden, W.O.; Hardesty, D.M.; Rose, R.L. (2001): Consumer self-confidence: refinements in conceptualization and measurement, in: Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 28, No. 1, pp. 121-134.
- Biswas, A.; Blair, E.A. (1991): Contextual effects of reference prices in retail advertisements, in: Journal of Marketing, Vol. 55, No. 3, pp. 1-12.
- Chandrashekaran, R.; Grewal, Dh. (2006): Anchoring effects of advertised reference price and sale price: the moderating role of saving format, in: Journal of Business Research, Vol. 59, No. 10/11, pp. 1063-1071.
- Chapman, J. (1993): The effect of discounts on the price-perceived quality paradigm, in: Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice, Vol. 1, No.2, pp. 1-11.
- Chen, Sh.F.S.; Monroe, K.B. Lou, Y.Ch. (1998): The effects of framing price promotion messages on consumer' perception and purchase intention, in: Journal of Retailing, Vol. 74, No. 3, pp. 353-372.
- Choi, Ch.; Mattila, A.S. (2014): The effects of promotion framing on consumers' price perceptions: The moderating role of a personal sense of power, in: Journal of Service Management, Vol. 25 Issue: 1, pp.149-160.
- Darke, P.R.; Chung, C.M.Y. (2005): Effects of pricing and promotion on consumer perceptions: it depends on how you frame it, in: Journal of Retailing, Vol. 81, No. 1, pp. 3547.
- DelVecchio, D.; Krishnan, H.Sh.; Smith, D.C (2007): Cents or percent? The effects of promotion framing on price expectations and choice, in: Journal of Marketing, Vol. 71, No. 3, pp. 158-170.
- Fibich, G.; Gavious, A.; Lowengart, O. (2007): Optimal price promotion in the presence of asymmetric reference-price effects, in: Managerial and Decision Economics, Vol. 28, No. 6, pp. 569-577.
- Grewal, Dh.; Krishman, R.; Baker, J.; Borin, N. (1998): The effect of store name, brand name and price discount on consumers' evaluations and purchase intentions, in: Journal of Retailing, Vol. 74, No. 3, pp. 331-352.
- Hardesty, D.M.; Bearden, W.O. (2003): Consumer evaluations of different promotion types and price presentations: the moderating role of promotional benefit level, in: Journal of Retailing, Vol. 79, No.1, pp. 17-25.
- Silke-Bambauer- Sachse.; Dupuy, A. (2012): Do price promotions lead to a reduction of Consumers' internal reference price and if so, under which conditions is this effect less strong?, in: Advances in Consumer Research, Vol. 40, pp. 334-341.
- Thomas, M.; Menon, G. (2007): When internal reference prices and price expectations diverge: the role of confidence, in: Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 44, No. 3, pp. 401-409.
- Wierenga, B., & Soethoudt, H. (2010). Sales promotions and channel coordination. Original Empirical Research, 38(3), 383-397.
- Zikmund, W.G.; Babin, B.J. (2007): Exploring marketing research, 9. Edition, New York: South-Western College Publication.