Green Spaces as a Part of the City Structure
The article describes the role of green areas as an integral element of urban space. The aim of the study is to characterize green spaces in the city and to indicate the most important benefits that these resources generate for both residents and the entire urban system. The method of analyzing the literature of the subject was used to achieve the above objective. The result of this research is an indication of the most important types of urban green spaces and ecological, social and economic values they provide, including identification of a series of connections between the environmental level and social and economic conditions of the cities. (original abstract)
- Abd El Aziz N.A. (2016), Water sensitive landscape case study: public open green spaces in Naser City, Egypt, "Journal of Landscape Ecology" Vol. 9, No. 3, p. 66-83.
- Abebe M.T., Megento T.L. (2016), The City of Addis Ababa from 'forest city' to 'urban heat island': assessment of urban green space dynamics, "Journal of Urban and Environmental Engineering" Vol. 10, No. 2, p. 254-262.
- Arabi Z., Hatami D., Jadidoleslami M. (2014), Analysis of the pattern of spatial-local distribution of green space (case study of Mehr city in Iran), "Indian Journal of Scientific Research" No. 8(1), p. 197-202.
- Arifin H.S., Nakagoshi N. (2011), Landscape ecology and urban biodiversity in tropical Indonesian cities, "Landscape & Ecological Engineering" No. 7, p. 33-43.
- Arifin H.S. et al. (2009), Analisis Lanskap Agroforestri, IPB Press, Bogor, p. 199.
- Bao T. et al. (2016), Assessing the Distribution of Urban Green Spaces and its Anisotropic Cooling Distance on Urban Heat Island Pattern in Baotou, China, "International Journal of Geo-Information" Vol. 5, No. 2, doi: 10.3390/ijgi5020012, p. 1-20.
- Baycan-Levent T., Nijkamp P. (2009), Planning and Management of Urban Green Spaces in Europe: Comparative Analysis, "Journal of Urban Planning & Development" Vol. 135, No. 1, p. 1-13.
- Berkooz C.B. (2007), Green Roofs: A Way to Start Small, Planning, "American Planning Association" August/September, p. 14-15.
- Biao Z. et al. (2012), The Effects of Public Green Spaces on Residential Property Value in Beijing, "Journal of Resources and Ecology" Vol. 3, No.3, p. 243-252.
- Byomkesh T., Nakagoshi N., Dewan A.M. (2012), Urbanization and green space dynamics in Greater Dhaka, Bangladesh, "Landscape & Ecological Engineering" No. 8, p. 45-58.
- Chen B., Bao Z., Zhu Z. (2006), Assessing the Willingness of the Public to Pay to Conserve Urban Green Space: The Hangzhou City, China, Case, "Journal of Environmental Health" Vol. 69, No. 5, p. 26-30.
- Chiesura A. (2004), The role of urban parks for the sustainable city, "Landscape and Urban Planning" Vol. 68, No.1, p. 129-138.
- Cilliers E.J. et al. (2015), Green Place-making in Practice: From Temporary Spaces to Permanent Places, "Journal of Urban Design" Vol. 20, No. 3, p. 349-366.
- Cornelis J., Hermy M. (2004), Biodiversity relationships in urban and suburban parks in Flanders, "Landscape and Urban Planning" No. 69, p. 385-401.
- Dinnie E., Brown K.M., Morris S. (2013), Community, cooperation and conflict: Negotiating the social well-being benefits of urban green space experiences, "Landscape and Urban Planning" No. 112, p. 1-9.
- European Commission (2013), Building a Green Infrastructure for Europe. Publications Office of the European Union, doi: 10.2779/54125, p. 7.
- Gairola S., Noresah M.S. (2010), Emerging trend of urban green space research and implications for safe guarding biodiversity: A viewpoint, "Nature and Science" Vol. 8, No. 7, p. 43-49.
- Gülgün B. et al. (2015), Alternatives of the green tissue in the city centres, "International Journal of Ecosystems and Ecology Sciences" Vol. 5, No. 1, p. 17-22.
- Herzele A.V., Wiedemann T. (2003), A monitoring tool for the provision of accessible and attractive urban green spaces, "Landscape and Urban Planning" No. 63, p. 109-126.
- Heyenga S., Savill J. (2008), New management for Brisbane's natural assets, "ECOS" No. 144, p. 14-15.
- Hrehorowicz-Gaber H. (2015), Role of green areas for space integration of Kraków's Metropolitan Area, "Bulletin of Geography. Socio-economic Series" No. 28, p. 69-76.
- http://evdekora.com/resim/2012/10/cati-bahceleri-5.jpg/ [22-04-2014] http:// v1.raf.com.tr/images/Image/product/2012/39/11_02.jpg/ [22-04-2014].
- Irvine K.N., Devine-Wright P., Payne S.R., Fuller R.A., Painter B., Gaston K.J. (2009), Green space, soundscape and urban sustainability: an interdisciplinary, empirical study, "Local Environment" Vol. 14, No. 2, p. 155-172.
- Ignatieva M., Stewart G.H., Meurk C. (2011), Planning and design of ecological networks in urban areas, "Landscape and Ecological Engineering" Vol. 7, No. 1, p. 17-25.
- Jansen R., Ruifrok R.J. (2012), Presentation on principle design process for Place Des Wallons, Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgiquo, University of Applied Science, Van Hall Larenstein, p. 24.
- Jim C.Y., Chen S.S. (2003), Comprehensive green space planning based on landscape ecology principles in compact Nanjing city, China, "Landscape Urban Planning" No. 65, p. 95-116.
- Li L., Pussella P.G.R.N.I, (2017), Is Colombo City, Sri Lanka secured for urban green space standards?, "Applied Ecology And Environmental Research" Vol. 15, No. 3.
- Loram A. et al. (2007), Urban domestic gardens (X): the extent and structure of the resource in five major cities, "Landscape Ecology" No. 22, p. 601-615.
- Loukaitou-Sideris A. et al. (2016), Parks for an Aging Population. Needs and Preferences of Low-Income Seniors in Los Angeles, "Journal of the American Planning Association" Vol. 82, No. 3, p. 236-251.
- Mathieu R., Freeman C., Aryal J. (2007), Mapping private gardens in urban areas using object-oriented techniques and very high resolution satellite imagery, "Landscape and Urban Planning" No. 81, p. 179-192.
- Nicholls S. (2001), Measuring the accessibility and equity of public parks: a case study using GIS, "Managing Leisure" No. 6, p. 201-219.
- Odindi J.O., Mhangara P. (2012), Green Spaces Trends in the City of Port Elizabeth from 1990 to 2000 using Remote Sensing, "International Journal of Environmental Research" Vol.6, No.3, p. 653-662.
- Özgüner H., Eraslan Ş., Yilmaz S. (2012), Public perception of landscape restoration along a degraded urban streamside, "Land Degradation & Development" Vol. 23, No. 1, p. 24-33.
- Özgὕner H. (2011), Cultural differences in attitudes towards urban parks and green spaces, "Landscape Research" Vol. 36, No. 5, p. 599-620.
- Pauleit S. et al. (2005), Urban Forest Resources in European Cities in: C.C. Konijnendijk et al. (eds), Urban Forests and Trees, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York, p. 49-80.
- Qureshi S., Breuste J.H., Lindley S.J. (2010), Green Space Functionality Along an Urban Gradient in Karachi, Pakistan, A Socio-Ecological Study, "Human Ecology. An Interdisciplinary Journal" No. 38, p. 283-294.
- Rappe E., Kivela S.L., Rita H. (2006), Visiting outdoor green environments positively impacts self-rated health among older people in long-term care, "Horttechnolog" Vol. 16, No. 1, p. 55-59.
- Rodenburg C. et al. (2001), Urban Economic Indicators for Green Development in Cities, "Greener Management International" No. 36, p. 105-119.
- Saporito S., Casey D. (2015), Are There Relationships Among Racial Segregation, Economic Isolation, and Proximity to Green Space?, "Human Ecology Review" Vol. 21, No. 2, p. 114-131.
- Schmidt K. et al. (2016), The Sociocultural Value of Upland Regions in the Vicinity of Cities in Comparison With Urban Green Spaces, "Mountain Research and Development" Vol. 36, No 4, p. 465-474.
- Shirazi S.A., Kazmi J.H. (2016), Analysis of socio-environmental impacts of the loss of urban trees and vegetation in Lahore, Pakistan: a review of public perception, "Ecological Processes" Vol. 5, No. 5, p. 2-12.
- Sushinsky J.R. et al. (2017), Maintaining experiences of nature as a city grows, "Ecology and Society" Vol. 22, No. 3, p. 1-12.
- Takano T., Nakamura K., Watanabe M. (2002), Urban residential environments and senior citizens' longevity in megacity areas: The importance of walkable green spaces, "Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health" Vol. 56, No. 12, p. 913-918.
- Thompson C.W. (2002), Urban open space in the 21st century, "Landscape and Urban Planning" No. 60, p. 9-72.
- Thompson R., Crowe T.P., Hawkins S.J. (2002), Rocky intertidal communities: past environmental changes, present status and predictions for the next 25 years, "Environmental Conservation", Vol. 29, No. 2, p. 168-191.
- Tian Y., Jim C.Y., Tao Y. (2012), Challenges and Strategies for Greening the Compact City of Hong Kong, "Journal of Urban Planning and Development" Vol. 138, No. 2, p. 101-110.
- Tomaoa A. et al. (2017), Resilient landscapes in Mediterranean urban areas: Understanding factors influencing forest trends, "Environmental Research" Vol. 156, p. 1-9.
- Wells N.M. (2000), At home with nature. Effects of 'greenness' on children's cognitive functioning, "Environment and Behavior" Vol. 32, No. 6, p. 775-795.
- Xu X. et al. (2011), Green Space Changes and Planning in the Capital Region of China, "Environmental Management" No. 47, p. 456-467.
- Yang Ch. et al.(2017), The Effect of Urban Green Spaces on the Urban Thermal Environment and Its Seasonal Variations, "Forests" No. 8 (153), p. 1-19.
- Van Heezik Y.M., Dickinson K.J.M., Freeman C. (2012), Closing the Gap: Communicating to Change Gardening Practices in Support of Native Biodiversity in Urban Private Gardens, "Ecology and Society" Vol. 17, No. 1, p. 1-9.
- Yuan E. et al. (2005), Land cover classification and change analysis of twin cities (Minesota) metropolitan area by multi-temporal Landsat remote sensing, "Remote Sensing of Environment" No. 98, p. 317-328