Export Competitiveness of the Croatian Food Industry
The main aim of the paper is to assess the international competitiveness of the Croatian food industry by deploying the Constant Market Share (CMS) analysis. The CMS model is able to quantify the export performance of the food industry compared to the rest of the world and individual foreign markets (the EU 27, new member states). The analysis revealed rather disappointing results in terms of the competitive position of the Croatian food industry in the period after 2010. The CMS was able to decompose change in the market share based on the geographic and product component and competitiveness effect, and the results confirmed the hypothesis that the loss in competitiveness of the Croatian food industry is the most important factor which determined the decreasing share of Croatian companies in world trade. The impact of the product mix of exported food products was neutral while its geographical effect was also negative. A regional reorientation of exports to more dynamic markets is an option which could boost the exports of the Croatian food industry.(original abstract)
- Ahmadi-Esfahani, F. Z., Constant Market Shares Analysis: Uses, Limitations and Prospects, "Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics", 50(4), pp. 510-526, 2006.
- Baldwin, E. R., The Commodity Composition of Trade: Selected Industrial Countries, 1900- -1954, "Review of Economics and Statistics", 40(1), pp. 50-68, 1958.
- Belova, A., Smutka, L., Rosochatecka, E., Bazina, A., Competitiveness of Domestic Production of Poultry Meat on the EU Market and on the World Market, "Agris On-Line Papers in Economics and Informatics"; 4 (4), pp. 11-25, 2012.
- Bojnec, Š., Fertö, I., Comparative Advantages and Competitiveness of Hungarian and Slovenian Agro-Food Trade in the EU Markets, In Proceedings of the 98th EAAE Seminar Marketing Dynamics within the Global Trading System: New Perspectives, Chania, Greece, 29 June - 2 July 2006.
- Bojnec, Š., Fertö, I., Comparative Advantages in Agri-Food Trade of Hungary, Croatia and Slovenia with the European Union; Discussion paper No. 106; Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO): Halle, Germany, 2007.
- Bojnec Š., Fertö, I., Agri-food Export Competitiveness in European Union Countries, "Journal of Common Market Studies", 53(3), pp. 476-492, 2015.
- Buturac, G., Beyond the Global Recession: Mutual Trade and Economic Convergence, "Ekonomski pregled", 64(4), pp. 303-326, 2013.
- Buturac, G., Lovrinčević, Ž., Mikulić, D., Export Competitiveness of the Croatian Textile Industry - CMS Analysis and Importance for Economy, "Tekstilvekonfeksiyon", 24(2), pp. 158-168, 2014.
- Buturac, G., Vizek, M., Export of Croatian Food Industry and Effects on the Economy: the Case of Croatia, "Ekonomski pregled", 66(3), pp. 203-230, 2014.
- Carraresi, L., Banterle, A., The Agri-food Competitive Performance in the EU Countries: A Fifteen Years Retrospective, "International Food and Agribusiness Management Review", 18(2), pp. 37-62, 2015.
- European Commission, Trade, Growth and World Affairs: Trade Policy as a Core Component of the EU's 2020 Strategy. Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament, the Council, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions, COM (2010) 612, DG Trade: Brussels, 2010.
- Fagerberg, J., Sollie, G., The Method of Constant Market Shares Analysis Reconsidered, "Applied Economics", 19(12), pp. 1571-1583, 1987.
- Grossman, G. M., Helpman, E., Innovation and Growth in the Global Economy. MIT Press, Cambridge, 1991.
- Ignjatijević, S., Ćirić, M., Carić, M., International Trade Structure of Countries from the Danube Region: Comparative Advantage Analysis of Export, "Ekonomicky Casopis", 61(3), pp. 251-269, 2013.
- Ignjatijević, S., Milojević, I., Cvijanović, G., Jandrić, M., Balance of Comparative Advantages in the Processed Food Sector of the Danube Countries, "Sustainability", 7(8), pp. 6976- -6993, 2015.
- Ishchukova, N., Smutka, L., Revealed Comparative Advantage of Russian Agricultural Exports. "Acta Universitatis Agriculturae et Silviculturae Mendelianae Brunensis", 61(4), pp. 941--952, 2013.
- Jambor, A., Hubbard, L. J., Changes in Hungarian Agri-Food Trade Since EU accession, Conference Foz do Iguacu, Brazil, International Association of Agricultural Economists, 2012.
- Jempa, C. J., Extensions and Application Possibilities of the Constant-Market-Shares Analysis. Rijkusuniversiteit, Groningen, 1986.
- Kapur, S. N., The Structure and Competitiveness of India's Exports, "Indian Economic Review", 26(2), pp. 221-237, 1991.
- Krueger, A. O., Trade Policy as an Input to Development, "American Economic Review", 70(2), pp. 288-292, 1980.
- Leamer, E. E., Stern, R., Quantitative International Economics. Allen & Bacon, Boston, 1970.
- Lovrinčević, Ž., Buturac, G., Mikulić, D., Export Performance of the Croatian Wood Industry and Its Contribution to the Overall Croatian Economy, "Forest Products Journal", 65(3-4), pp. 159-165, 2015.
- Majkovič, D., Turk, J., Chevassus-Lozza, E., Agri-food Trade Analysis: Comparison of Slovenia with the Nine new Member States, "Journal of Central European Agriculture", 7(3), pp. 401-408, 2006.
- Merkies, H. Q. M. A., van der Meer, T., A Theoretical Foundation for CMS Analysis, "Empirical Economics", 13(2), pp. 65-80, 1988.
- Milana, C., Constant-Market-Shares Analysis and Index Number Theory, "European Journal of Political Economy", 4(4), pp. 453-478, 1988.
- Procházka, P., Smutka, L., Czech Republic as an Important Producer of Poppy Seed, "Agris On-Line Papers in Economics and Informatics", 4(2), pp. 35-47, 2012.
- Raičević, V., Ignjatijević, S., Matijašević, J., Economic and Legal Determinants of Export Competitiveness of the Food Industry of Serbia, "Industry", 40(1), pp. 201-226, 2012.
- Richardson, J. D., Constant-market-shares Analysis of Export Growth, "Journal of International Economics", 1(2), pp. 227-239, 1971.
- Rusali, A. M., Evaluation of the Romanian Agricultural Products Specialization in the Intra-Sectoral Foreign Trade, "Agricultural Economics - Czech", 10(1), pp. 77-83, 2013.
- Svatoš, M., Smutka,L., Comparative Advantages of the Czech Agrarian Foreign Trade in Relation to the EU and Third Countries, "Acta Universitatis Agriculturae et Silviculturae Mendelianae Brunensis", 60(4), pp. 363-378, 2012.
- Török, A., Jambor, A., Agri-food Trade of the New Member States since the EU Accession, "Agricultural Economics - Czech", 59(3), pp. 101-112, 2013.
- Tyszynski, H., World Trade in Manufactured Commodities, "The Manchester School of Economic and Social Studies", 19(3), pp. 272-304, 1951.