Household Deposits in the Eurozone Area - Net Outflows and High Value Deposits
The aim of this paper is to analyse the problem of household deposit withdrawals from monetary financial institutions in 15 Eurozone member states, and the popularity of high value deposits which are assumed as volatile in the EU post-crisis regulations. The study estimates the scale of household deposit withdrawals in 2007-2015, revealing them as a problem of two selected member states, Austria and Greece which are, however, almost invisible at the Eurozone level. It analyses the significance of high value deposits for individual populations and indicates those in which the occurrence of the deposits was the most frequent. Selected characteristics of the owners of high value deposits which may suggest their real nature are considered. The results obtained do not prove the popularity of these deposits in all the countries characterised by severe outflows between 2007-2015.(original abstract)
- Acharya, V., Almeida, H., Campello, M., Aggregate Risk and the Choice between Cash and Lines of Credit, "The Journal of Finance", 68, pp. 2059-2116, 2013.
- Acharya, V., Mora, N., A Crisis of Banks as Liquidity Providers, "The Journal of Finance", vol. 70, issue 1, pp. 1-43, 2015.
- Acharya, V., Mora N., Are Banks Passive Liquidity Backstops? Deposit Rates and Flows During the 2007-2009 Crisis, NBER Working Paper, no 17838, pp. 1-63, 2012.
- BCBS, Basel III: A Global Regulatory Framework for More Resilient Banks and Banking Systems, Bank for International Settlements, Basel, 2010.
- BCBS, Basel III: The Liquidity Coverage Ratio and Liquidity Risk Monitoring Tools, Bank for International Settlements, Basel, 2013.
- BCBS, Basel III: The Net Stable Funding Ratio, Bank for International Settlements, Basel, 2014.
- Borio, C., Ten Propositions about Liquidity Crises, BIS Working Paper, no 293, pp. 1-21, 2009.
- Brown, M., Guin, B., Morkoetter, S., Deposit Withdrawals from Distressed Commercial Banks, Swiss Institute of Banking and Finance Working Papers on Finance, 19, pp. 1-33, 2014.
- Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) 2015/61 of 10 October 2014 to supplement Regulation (EU) No 575/2013 of the European Parliament and the Council with regard to liquidity coverage requirement for Credit Institutions, OJ L 11 of 17 January 2015.
- Cussen, M., O'Leary, B., Smith, D., The Impact of the Financial Turmoil on Households: A Cross Country Comparison, Central Bank of Ireland - Quarterly Bulletin, 02 / April, pp. 78-98, 2012.
- Diamond, D. W., Rajan, R. G., Banks and Liquidity, "American Economic Review", 91(2), pp. 422-425, 2001.
- Du Caju, P., Structure and Distribution of Household Wealth: An Analysis Based on the HFCS, "National Bank of Belgium Economic Review", September, pp. 41-62, 2013.
- EBA, Guidelines on retail deposits subject to different outflows for purposes of liquidity reporting under Regulation (EU) No 575/2013, on prudential requirements for credit institutions and investment firms and amending Regulation (EU) No 648/2012 (Capital Requirements Regulation - CRR), European Banking Authority, London, 2013a.
- EBA, EBA Discussion Papers on Defining Liquid Assets in the LCR under the draft CRR and on retail deposits subject to higher outflows for the purposes of liquidity reporting, European Banking Authority, London, 2013b.
- ECB, The Eurosystem Household Finance and Consumption Survey Results from the First Wave, Statistics Paper Series, 2/2013, pp. 1-112.
- Gatev, E., Schuermann, T., Strahan, P., Managing Bank Liquidity Risk: How Deposit-Loan Synergies Vary with Market Conditions, "Review of Financial Studies", 22, pp. 995- -1020, 2009.
- Huang, R., Ratnovski, L., The Dark Side of Bank Wholesale Funding, "Journal of Financial Intermediation", 20, pp. 248-263, 2011.
- Karas, A., Pyle, W., Schoors, K., Deposit Insurance, Banking Crises, and Market Discipline: Evidence from a Natural Experiment on Deposit Flows and Rates, "Journal of Money, Credit and Banking", vol. 45, no 1, pp. 179-200, 2013.
- Mody, A., Sandri, D., The Eurozone Crisis: How Banks and Sovereigns Came to be Joined at the Hip, IMF Working Paper, 11/269, pp. 1-33, 2011.
- Pennacchi, G., Deposit Insurance, Bank Regulation, and Financial System Risks, "Journal of Monetary Economics", 53, pp. 1-30, 2006.
- Regulation (EU) No 575/2013 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 26 June 2013 on prudential requirements on credit institutions and investment firms and amending Regulation (EU) No 648/2012, OJ L 176 of 27 June 2013.
- Teppa, F., Porpiglia, A., Ziegelmeyer, M., Le Blanc, J., Zhu, J., Household Saving Behaviour and Credit Constraints in the Euro Area, European Central Bank Working Paper, 1790, pp. 1-62, 2015.