Applying the 20.1 Sub-Clause of the Fidic Conditions of Contract Under Standards of Polish Civil Law
FIDIC conditions of contract are patterns of contractual agreements for project or construction works widely used in the world. They were designed to facilitate the implementation of construction investment for all participants. The construction practice of many countries of the world (including Poland) uses those commonly recognized international standards, although their legal nature differs in each country which uses them and it is often hard to determine the place of the FIDIC conditions of contract in national legal systems. This problem also applies to our country because the norms of civil law in accordance with the directly expressed principle of freedom of contracts allows the introduction of the FIDIC conditions of contract into agreements to perform design or construction works, but there is still a problem of some FIDIC provisions being inconsistent with the standards of the Polish civil law. An example of such incorporation of FIDIC conditions of contract causing doubts of interpretation as to their compliance with the standards of Polish law can be the 20.1 FIDIC Sub-Clause discussed in this article. This regulation seems to contain provisions inconsistent with the standards of the Polish Civil Code. It seems that this regulation contains provisions inconsistent with the norms of the Polish Civil Code, whose possible legal consequences should be looked at more closely and to trace the case law of Polish courts in this regard. It can be said that the FIDIC conditions of contract are extralegal standards functioning in the legal order without the mediation of a reference standard. They are peculiar standards-patterns with a prenormative nature and which, although indirectly, are valid do not exist in the Polish legal order through legal norms. The significant conclusion results from the article considerations - the FIDIC conditions of contract, due to their not exactly specified legal nature, take effect only to the extent that it does not conflict with national standards.(original abstract)
- Abraham Wilfred, FIDIC: an analysis of international construction contracts (Kluwer Law International 2005).
- Baker Ellis (ed), FIDIC contracts: law and practice (Informa Law from Routledge 2009).
- Bednarek Małgorzata, Patterns of agreements in Polish law (C.H. Beck 2005).
- Bunni Nael G, The FIDIC Forms of Contract, 3rd Edition (Wiley-Blackwell 2005).
- Bytnerowicz Piotr and Kofluk Magda, 'The 28-day time limit for filing claims by the contractor reservation in the 20.1 FIDIC clause' (2012) 1(8) e-Przegląd Arbitrażowy.
- Cichocki Krzysztof, 'FIDIC contract terms and regulations regarding public entities' (2012) 18 Biuletyn Arbitrażowy.
- Ciepierski Piotr, 'Delay, liquidated damages, withdrawal from a contract according to the FIDIC New Red Book and the provisions of the civil code - selected issues' (2008) 8 Biuletyn Arbitrażowy.
- Drapała Przemysła, 'Patterns of a FIDIC contract and the provisions of the civil code' (2014) 11 Państwo i Prawo.
- Grzybowski Stefan (ed), Civil law system, Volume 1: Civil law - general part (Zakład Narodowy im. Ossolińskich - Wydaw. Polskiej Akademii Nauk 1985).
- Gutowski Maciej, Nullity of a legal action (C.H. Beck 2006).
- Gutowski Maciej, Nullity of a legal action (C.H. Beck 2013).
- Lewison Kim, The Interpretation of Contracts, 3rd Edition (Sweet & Maxwell 2004).
- Lizer-Klatka Agnieszka, 'Effectiveness of the contractual periods of claims assertion in general FIDIC conditions to all legal intents and purposes' (2012) 1(8) e-Przegląd Arbitrażowy.
- Machnikowski Piotr, 'Freedom of contracts' in Łętowska Ewa (ed), Liability of obligations - general part. Private Law System. Volume 5 (C.H. Beck 2013).
- Machnikowski Piotr, Freedom of contracts pursuant to art. 3531 (C.H. Beck 2005).
- Olszewski Adam, 'Contract procedures of settlement of disputes in construction works contract based on FIDIC contractual patterns to all legal intent and purposes of Polish law' (2010) 2 Radca Prawny.
- Pecyna Marlena, Merger clause as a reservation of the exclusivity of the document, contract integrity clause, rule of interpretation of the contract (Wolters Kluwer Polska 2013).
- Pejovic Caslav, 'Civil Law and Common Law: Two Different Paths Leading to the Same Goal' (2001) 32 Victoria University of Wellington Law Review.
- Roguski Bogdan, 'The role of FIDIC and the history of conditions of contract. Non-contractual FIDIC conditions of contract' (2011), Lex/el.
- Roguski Bogdan, 'The scope of FIDIC condition of contracts' (2011), Lex/el.
- Sadowski Wojciech, 'Legal problems of the application of the FIDIC conditions of contract in Poland' (2009) 10 Biuletyn Arbitrażowy.
- Sampławski Kacper, 'Additional works and admissibility of changes in contracts for public contracts against the background of FIDIC conditions of contract' (2011) 1 Prawo Zamówień Publicznych.
- Strugała Radosław, 'Contractual time limits - legal qualification and the admissibility of their use' (2016) 3 Przegląd Prawa Handlowego.
- Strugała Radosław, Standard contractual clauses: adaptation, salvator, merger, interpretation and de forma pactum (C.H. Beck 2013).
- Strzępka Janusz A and Wyrzykowski Wojciech, 'FIDIC and the contract for construction works in the Civil Code - selected issues. General characteristics of the FIDIC conditions of contract' in Kruczalak-Jankowska Joanna (ed), The impact of Europeanisation of law on commercial law institutions (LexisNexis 2013).
- Strzępka Janusz A and Wyrzykowski Wojciech, 'Selected issues of the application of international standard FIDIC conditions of contract' part I (2013) 16 Monitor Prawniczy.
- Strzępka Janusz A and Wyrzykowski Wojciech, 'Selected issues of the application of international standard FIDIC conditions of contract' part II (2013) 17 Monitor Prawniczy.
- Strzępka Janusz A, 'Consequences of non-performance and improper performance of contractual obligations' in Rajski Jerzy (ed), The law of obligations - a detailed part. Private Law System. Volume 7 (C.H. Beck 2011).
- Strzępka Janusz A, 'Contract for construction work' in Włodyka Stanisław (ed), Commercial contract law. Private Law System. Volume 5 (C.H. Beck 2013).
- Trzaskowski Roman, The boundaries of the freedom to shape the content and purpose of bond agreements (Zakamycze 2005).
- Witecki Łukasz, Chylińska Agnieszka and Ochocka Anna, 'State entities as contracting entities in accordance with the FIDIC agreement. Deviations from standard FIDIC contracts in the practice of the Treasury of the Republic of Poland' (2012) 18 Biuletyn Arbitrażowy.
- FIDIC, FIDIC procurement procedures guide, Geneva 2011.
- FIDIC, Selection by ability: FIDIC guidelines on quality based selection of consulting engineers, Warsaw 1995.
- FIDIC/SIDIR, FIDIC. Conditions of contract for a construction site for engineering and construction work designed by the contracting entity, 1 English-Polish unchanged edition (1999), Warsaw 2008.
- FIDIC/SIDIR, FIDIC. Conditions of contract for a construction site for engineering and construction work designed by the contracting entity, Warsaw 2008.
- FIDIC/SIDIR, Conditions of contract for construction site: for engineering and construction works designed by the contracting entity, Cracow 2005.
- FIDIC/SIDIR, FIDIC conditions of contract: the realization of the investments according to the EU standards, Warsaw 2013.
- The Act of 23 April 1964 - The Civil Code (Journal of Laws of 2017, item 459).
- The Act of 7 July 1994 - the Construction Law (Journal of Laws of 2016, item 290 as amended).