On the One-shot Two-person Zero-sum Game in Football from a Penalty Kicker's Perspective
A penalty kicker's problem in football has been modelled. The study took into consideration different directions in which the ball can be struck and goalkeepers' success at defending shots. The strategic form of the game that can be used to predict how the kicker should optimally randomise his strategies has been modelled as a non-linear game-theoretic problem from a professional kicker's viewpoint. The equilibrium of the game (i.e., the pair of mutually optimal mixed strategies) was obtained from the game-theoretic problem by reducing it to a linear programming problem and the two-phase simplex method was adopted to solve this problem. The optimal solution to the game indicates that the kicker never chooses to kick the ball off target, to the goalpost or to the crossbar, but rather chooses to kick the ball in the opposite direction to the one where the goalkeeper is most likely to successfully defend from past history. (original abstract)
-  ADUBATO B., The promise of violence, televised, professional football games and domestic violence, Journal of Sport and Social Issues, 2016, 40 (1), 22-37.
-  AZAR O.H., BAR-ELI M., Do soccer players play the mixed-strategy Nash equilibrium? MPRA Paper No. 20964, available at https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de/20964/ (accessed 14.02.2018).
-  BOGDANOVIC M., MAKSIMOVIC Z., A mixed integer linear programming formulation for low discrepancy consecutive k-sums permutation problem, Yugoslav. J. Oper. Res., 2017, 27 (1), 125-132.
-  CLELAND J., CASHMORE E., Football fan's views of racism in British football, Int. Rev. Soc. Sport, 2016, 51 (1), 27-43.
-  CHIAPPORI P.A., LEVITT S.D., GROSECLOSE T., Testing mixed strategy equilibrium when players are heterogeneous, the case of penalty kicks in soccer, Am. Econ. Rev., 2002, 92, 1138-1151.
-  EKHOSUEHI V.U., A control rule for planning promotion in a university setting in Nigeria, Croatian Oper. Res. Rev., 2016, 7 (2), 171-188.
-  GRACIA-LAZARO C., FLORIA L.M., MORENO Y., Cognitive hierarchy theory and two-person games, Games, 2017, 8 (1), 1-18.
-  HASAN M.B., RAFFENSPERGER J.F., A mixed integer linear program for an integrated fishery, J. Oper. Res. Soc. South Africa, 2006, 22 (1), 19-34.
-  HILLIER F.S., LIEBERMAN G.J., Introduction to Operations Research, 8th Ed., McGraw-Hill, New York 2005.
-  KANEKO M., LIU S., Elimination of dominated strategies and inessential players, Oper. Res. Dec., 2015, 25 (1), 33-54.
-  PALACIOS-HUERTA I., Professionals play minimax, Rev. Econ. Stud., 2003, 70, 395-415.
-  PALACIOS-HUERTA I., VOLIJ O., Experientia docet, Professionals play minimax in laboratory experiments, Econometrica, 2008, 76 (1), 71-115.
-  RODERICK M., SCHUMACKER J., The whole week comes down to the team sheet, a footballer's view of insecure work, Work, Empl. Soc., 2017, 31 (1), 166-174.
-  SAMARAS N., SIFALERAS A., TRIANTAFYLLIDIS C., A primal-dual exterior point algorithm for linear programming problems, Yugoslav J. Oper. Res., 2009, 19 (1), 123-132.
-  SZOSTEK R., An effective system of sports competition management, Oper. Res. Dec., 2011, 21 (1), 65-75.
-  TAHA H.A., Operations Research. An Introduction, 7th Ed., Pearson Education (Singapore), Pte Ltd., Delhi 2002.